Sign in to follow this  
flynman33

Thinking Of Switching to SSD

I am looking at this SSD.... Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB,Internal,2.5" (MZ-75E500B/AM)

Question.

I have just build a new PC with the following components.

AMD 4.2 GHZ Vishera CPU

8gb DDR3 1600  Ram

NVidia EVGA 970 (pn#3975)

So the question is. How much additional performance in terms of FPS and smoothness will a SSD get me. Currently with my system with all sliders at an average of 66% of max performance I am getting 28-34 FPS on FSX (non Steam)

I have heard that SSD improve FPS and game performance. Is this True. I would be cloning my cuurent 1TB SATA drive.

Thanks

Randy 

Intel I7 6700 4.0 CPU Western Digital Caviar 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive  16GB DDR4 Crucial RAM. Corsair 750 Watt PSU.

EVGA NVIDIA GTX1080 FTW GPU

Your fps will not change..

Everything will load faster and appear smoother.. and much quieter  :wink:

Go for it!

• Upvote 1

Bert

Your fps will not change..

Everything will load faster and appear smoother.. and much quieter  :wink:

Go for it!

Smoother in what way with FSX?

Also Bert.

I got the 970 and yes, it is a sweet card.

Intel I7 6700 4.0 CPU Western Digital Caviar 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive  16GB DDR4 Crucial RAM. Corsair 750 Watt PSU.

The only difference you will see is on the loading screen, that will be a lot faster. Besides that, nothing will change, you won't see any improvements in flight.

• Upvote 1

I spend my $$$ on a new 27 inch monitor. I don't mind waiting 35 seconds for loading.

Randy

I spend my $$$ on a new 27 inch monitor. I don't mind waiting 35 seconds for loading.

Randy

That's a good choice, I think you'll get more enjoyment out of the monitor ;)

• Upvote 1

The only difference you will see is on the loading screen, that will be a lot faster. Besides that, nothing will change, you won't see any improvements in flight.

I'm not so sure about that...  when you traverse areas with detailed scenery, or you approach a detailed airport, your sim may hesitate for a fraction of a second... an SSD will be better than a hard drive in that situation.

These things happen as you fly.. just pay attention..

Bert

I'm not so sure about that...  when you traverse areas with detailed scenery, or you approach a detailed airport, your sim may hesitate for a fraction of a second... an SSD will be better than a hard drive in that situation.

These things happen as you fly.. just pay attention..

Not really Bert. Unless you are flying a fighting jet or something of the sort, the reading velocity of a mechanic HDD is more than enough to load everything in normal flight. If you fly GA or commercial jets, I guarantee that those "hesitations" have nothing to do with the HD.

Lets agree to disagree on this...

We are not talking about reading velocity, but random access to a big blob of data, in real time.

Bert

Large amount of excess RAM available to OS for use as a disk read cache would be even faster, and shift the bottleneck to CPU speed.

Confirmed that by observing blurry ground texture and little disk activity when running with unlimited FPS during flight, and no additional disk activity when shifting view, with 16GB of RAM but a relatively slow(2.9GHz i7-3632QM) and non-overclockable mobile CPU.

Hi Folks,

I just bought the Samsung 850 Pro 512GB for my initial foray into P3D - which hopefully I'll install this weekend... I already have two 256GB SSD's... I like Samsung and SSD's seem like the only way to go... Of course I have some big mechanical storage for programs that don't require fast load times and bulk storage...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Before I moved to 3x 24" Dell ultrasharps I had a single LG27" and it was also very nice. So get the monitor NOW, but with the SSD prices falling I would pick one of those up real soon, If you use a lot of ORBX scenery you will love the increased load times.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

hey guys, i currently have a 500gb hard drive with windows, FSX and everything installed in there (i don't have any partitions). Im thinking about buying an SSD but i need your help:

First, do i need to check any compatibility issues with the motherboard or the processor or anything like that?

Second, i already read a lot of times that you shouldn't install everything in the ssd (because it is a waste of the speeds it allows). So what should be installed in the SSD and what should stay in the HDD?

Thanks for the help!!

Depends on the size of the SSD...

In my case:

120 GB SSD with Windows 7

256 GB SSD with FSX

2 TB HD with everything else

Bert