Sign in to follow this  
Sky Prince

I want to fly realistic waypoints

So, I've now noted that the OPT ALT doesn't alway's comply with the RVSM rules (although I always assumed that flying at OPT ALT displayed on the FMC should be conservative on fuel throughout the flight, provided that you monitor the climb). Kyle also said that if the aircraft was set to climb automatically, which I assumed from the step climb would be initiated to do, then one could end up having the books banging their heads into a migraine.

Correct. This is why the 777 has the RVSM step option.

This, of course, gets chucked out  the window when on the NATs:

PART ONE OF THREE PARTS-

A RESNO 56/20 58/30 59/40 59/50 BOKTO
EAST LVLS NIL
WEST LVLS 310 320 330 340 350 360 370 380 390

Note how, from 310 through 390, ALL levels are used for westbound traffic.

As far as the autoclimbs, it isn't the books you're worried about, as much as the 747 above you flying on the NATs. Lateral separation on the NATs is done by time, which usually ends up being about 50ish miles. Vertical separation, as seen above, is only 1000'. So, if it worked out that the aircraft above you was slightly behind you, they wouldn't be visible to you (hidden by the roof of the flight deck), and you wouldn't be visible to them (hidden by the nose). Autoclimb for the step kicks in...

BAM.

Midair.

It's only an option in the PMDG SETUP> options of the 777 for the convenience of being able to walk away the computer on a very long flight.

I've noted Kyle's response, "One of the best ways I've found to work step climbs is to roll the altitude selection up to the next altitude.  Look down at the FMC, and on the VNAV/CRZ page, click the LSK next to the STEP altitude.  This places the step altitude in the scratchpad, where you can then click the CRZ altitude's LSK to overwrite it.  Once the new altitude is in the CRZ spot, click EXEC and watch the automagic bring you up to the next altitude."

I can't remember if I was referring to the 737 or the 747 there. Either way, this is only one of the possible ways, and isn't necessarily the right way (not that it's wrong, either). I believe you could just as easily roll the altitude up and then press the center of the knob without having to fuss with the FMC at all (which is what I think Romain was alluding to).

Kyle Rodgers

I can't remember if I was referring to the 737 or the 747 there. Either way, this is only one of the possible ways, and isn't necessarily the right way (not that it's wrong, either). I believe you could just as easily roll the altitude up and then press the center of the knob without having to fuss with the FMC at all (which is what I think Romain was alluding to.

Good afternoon, Kyle ☺

I understand. So, how would you perform a step climb in the 747-400? I'm curious.

I understand. So, how would you perform a step climb in the 747-400? I'm curious.

Since I'm already needing to adjust the MCP altitude, I might as well just hit ALT INT while my hand is right there. Even if I hit FL CH immediately after that, it's still fewer steps.

Kyle Rodgers

I'm not sure I understand well Kyle's response. But it may be because it is out of it's context.

I haven't flown the 744 for a while now, but as far as I remember, I just rolled the altitude selection to the next altitude on the MCP and pressed the altitude button to trigger the climb.

I didn't bother with changing the altitude in the VNAV/CRZ page.

I see. And, this was all the time how you would performed the step climb in the 747-400? Is this considered the 'official' right way of all ways?

Is this considered the 'official' right way of all ways?

There is no such thing...

Kyle Rodgers

I see. And, this was all the time how you would performed the step climb in the 747-400? Is this considered the 'official' right way of all ways?

Well I was about to say I cannot answer that question as I'm not a real 747-400 pilot but Kyle beat me by 1 second and I think his answer is more accurate.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Since I'm already needing to adjust the MCP altitude, I might as well just hit ALT INT while my hand is right there. Even if I hit FL CH immediately after that, it's still fewer steps.

I want to try this on my next flight, but I want to do it correctly.

So Kyle, you'd adjust the altitude on the MCP, and then push ALT IN IT, then FL CH to transition from one altitude to the next? Would you not bother to then copy the lsk from step into lsk into crz and exec?

Well I was about to say I cannot answer that question as I'm not a real 747-400 pilot but Kyle beat me by 1 second and I think his answer is more accurate.

The guy is awesome. Wish I had his experience. But, that's why it benefits to be here searching and asking questions. It's like a school. I learn equally from collecting information from pieces of post even if they aren't concise and direct.

So Kyle, you'd adjust the altitude on the MCP, and then push ALT IN IT, then FL CH to transition from one altitude to the next? Would you not bother to then copy the lsk from step into lsk into crz and exec?

Pressing ALT INT automatically updates the appropriate FMC entries. Not hitting it ALT INT after updating the altitude, and simply hitting FL CH would not, however, as an example.

The reason for using FL CH (after hitting ALT INT) is that it modulates thrust a little better for altitude changes like that. At the new level, you can kick it back over to VNAV.

The guy is awesome. Wish I had his experience. But, that's why it benefits to be here searching and asking questions. It's like a school. I learn equally from collecting information from pieces of post even if they aren't concise and direct.

I've just been simming for forever and a decade, and have a ton of exposure to the FAA, ATC, and airline life. It's been a somewhat wandering, wayward path, but I've gotten a lot out of it.

Kyle Rodgers

Pressing ALT INT automatically updates the appropriate FMC entries. Not hitting it ALT INT after updating the altitude, and simply hitting FL CH would not, however, as an example.

The reason for using FL CH (after hitting ALT INT) is that it modulates thrust a little better for altitude changes like that. At the new level, you can kick it back over to VNAV.

Going to setup a flight from YBBN-KLAX and will try this step climb procedure.

I've just been simming for forever and a decade, and have a ton of exposure to the FAA, ATC, and airline life. It's been a somewhat wandering, wayward path, but I've gotten a lot out of it.

... ☺... <3 ... a wealth of knowledge worth passing on.

Kyle, where is the ALT INT button? :-/ I see FL CH, but not ALT INT. Am I missing something?

Am I missing something?

haha - yep. It's not labeled on the 747 and 767, it's simply the center of the ALT knob (SPD INT is the center of the SPD knob).

Kyle Rodgers

haha - yep. It's not labeled on the 747 and 767, it's simply the center of the ALT knob (SPD INT is the center of the SPD knob).

Which brings us back to the earlier parts. Set altitude on MCP and press to start step climb. I do see FL CH labeled, so after starting climb I push FL CH to modulate thrust. I'd then press VNAV to carry the settings after reaching the altitude. It's that simple? Lol!

Which brings us back to the earlier parts. Set altitude on MCP and press to start step climb. I do see FL CH labeled, so after starting climb I push FL CH to modulate thrust. I'd then press VNAV to carry the settings after reaching the altitude. It's that simple? Lol!

Yeah. We usually don't make things intentionally difficult in aviation.

...unless you work at the FAA HQ  :P

Kyle Rodgers

Yeah. We usually don't make things intentionally difficult in aviation.

...unless you work at the FAA HQ  :P

Lol! :P

I just tried the step climb in the order we've discussed, and it worked. I also understand that there are different ways to do a step climb in the PMDG 747-400X.

Well, Romain, Andy, and Kyle, I'm grateful to you.

Always glad to help!

Enjoy flying with that beauty!

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.