Sign in to follow this  
rjack1282

P3D V3 Settings (Matt Davies)

Rob A. got a nice shout out.  I'm sure what the graphical anomalies are with water on ultra though.  Has anyone experienced anything strange with water on ultra?

• Upvote 2

Ryan

I've watched this a couple times now, but haven't gotten the chance to do anything with the setting that he presents. I'm to much into tweaking so I'll see what I can gleen from his settings.

The two things I want to look at are the FTX Trees HD add-on and the Scenery Settings. In my AMD rig with a GTX970 I've noticed very little performance impact with the Terrain settings. Those settings do seem to be the cause of my hit on FPS right now. What does look interesting in the Scenery Settings is his Special Effects and Scenery Object values. These seem to be my problem at the moment.

I'm particularly interested in what he metioned about putting the Special Effects sliders to High. I trust his word on it, but I had no idea about the impact of the value of the Special Effect sliders before this video. I alway just put them to High. From what Matt says, it seems like a noticalble impact. I'm curious to knock them down to Medium and see what the change in performance that I can see.

I've known and have been playing around with the Scenery Objects to get FPS back, so always curious to see others' settings for this area.

I do have to admit that I've caved in and bought an Intel 4790K and motherboard for myself. I just need to fly back to the States to pick it up.

12 Titan X's ... hehe.  Matt and I have come to many of the same conclusions on the performance front and add-on settings/usage, glad he made a video and hope it helps others.

Of course Matt may need to update those graphics settings again soon ;)

Cheers, Rob.

:smile:

Now that is a great hint if ever I saw one, looking forward.... !

The two things I took away from that video were HD Trees and the Soft Cloud setting he prefers.  Everything else is highly subjective to your PC's hardware and I know a lot of folks are going to run out and slam their sliders like he did and wonder why their FPS is in the drain.   Hopefully everyone understands that these are not universal 'Holy Grail' settings that everyone can use.  Not everyone can use these.    I know I can't because I prefer 80% AI traffic to his no traffic which murders the CPU but I still get a nice 25-30 FPS at payware airports with it dipping lower in bad weather scenarios.    We still can't 'have it all'.    You have to cut out somewhere.     For me, it's 1k textures with mostly high slider settings, no car traffic, 80% AI traffic in UT2 and cloud and terrain shadows off.

Now.. when those two 980ti's are in my system or that new video card coming in 6 months that has the power of two titans SLI'd...  we shall re-evaluate the settings  ^_^ 

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

+1 Brain.

HD tress I had and I also was using that set of soft clouds, :sad:

Try Car's at that setting at KLAX and see if cars have a FPS hit  :rolleyes: unless its a 980Ti thing, on a 6GB 780=by by fps.

But I do like Matt's Vid's there great fun.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

12 Titan X's ... hehe.  Matt and I have come to many of the same conclusions on the performance front and add-on settings/usage, glad he made a video and hope it helps others.

Cheers, Rob.

That did make me chuckle when I heard Matt say that about your flight rig Rob :smile: . I have just bought V3 and also upgraded to a 970 4gb card. Haven't done any tweaking at all yet. I was interested to hear what he said about ditching Nvidia Inspector for V3

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

Hopefully everyone understands that these are not universal 'Holy Grail' settings that everyone can use.  Not everyone can use these.

Pretty sure no one (myself included) mention "Holy Grail" ... I assume Matt gets asked a lot about settings, as do I ... so we take the time to share our settings.

I vary my setting based on location, aircraft, and what I want to do ... I would never run Brian's 80% AI traffic (UT2) because I'd never get off the ground an spend the next 3 hours waiting for clearance ... but to each his or her own.  Not sure why you have no cloud shadows Brian ... 980Ti should have no problems doing cloud shadows to 80,000m  (oddly I find 80,000m produces better performance than 30,000m).

David, the Road Traffic setting seem to be more a V3 thing ... in V3 I haven't noticed much of an FPS hit at all at 50% Road Traffic, but in V2.5 there was a hit with anything above 15% (regardless of area).

Although my system is moderately juiced up, one should be able to get very similar performance with a 5820K and one 980Ti and a good DDR4 X99 based motherboard (the 5820K should overclock better than my 5960X).  Matt's goals are to hit a solid 60 FPS, my goals are to hit a solid 30 FPS ... this goal will be defined by your monitor (TrackIR works fine at 30Hz).  There are a heck of a lot more graphics settings one can turn up when one's goal is 30 FPS ... think I've provided more than enough videos all done at 30Hz/30FPS to demonstrate that 60Hz isn't required for smooth flight ... it really depends on your monitor.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: agree with Matt, I don't use NI any more as the AA at 4K is good enough for me and I don't need SGSS AA.

The Holy Grail is no quip at anyone.   It was general statement.  People see these 'My Settings' videos and think it's the answer to all their problems and then they end up right back at square one.

I turn off cloud shadows for one reason; Shadow Clipping.  I have variable start profiles too and in some of those profiles I have cloud shadows turned on at 80000 meters.  Even when I turn up cloud shadows to MAX setting I still see the shadows get clipped on the ground and it's an irritating graphic anomaly to me.   Clouds shadows look great, but flying up at 40,000 feet, I can see where the cloud shadow rendering just stops dead and this results sometimes in shadow maps that are cut in half and it just irritates me to look at it.  It's a personal preference.   If I could set the cloud shadows to the same draw distance I use for Active Sky Next I totally would leave them on 24/7 because I would never see the cloud shadow dead zone.  

I don't fly my simulator to 'Just Fly It'.   I like to kind of roleplay when I am flying so I like more realistic levels of traffic at my airports where I have to hold short and give way and follow company traffic and all that jazz.  I don't care if I am #8 in sequence.  That's how it works in reality and I go for reality when I fly thus the high AI traffic settings.  The models that UT2 uses are quite frame rate friendly so I crank it up, sometimes a little higher than my rig can handle.  Nothing like a 6 miles final at KDFW or KATL and watching your FPS go from 30 down to 12.  XD

Pretty sure no one (myself included) mention "Holy Grail" ... I assume Matt gets asked a lot about settings, as do I ... so we take the time to share our settings.

I vary my setting based on location, aircraft, and what I want to do ... I would never run Brian's 80% AI traffic (UT2) because I'd never get off the ground an spend the next 3 hours waiting for clearance ... but to each his or her own.  Not sure why you have no cloud shadows Brian ... 980Ti should have no problems doing cloud shadows to 80,000m  (oddly I find 80,000m produces better performance than 30,000m).

David, the Road Traffic setting seem to be more a V3 thing ... in V3 I haven't noticed much of an FPS hit at all at 50% Road Traffic, but in V2.5 there was a hit with anything above 15% (regardless of area).

Although my system is moderately juiced up, one should be able to get very similar performance with a 5820K and one 980Ti and a good DDR4 X99 based motherboard (the 5820K should overclock better than my 5960X).  Matt's goals are to hit a solid 60 FPS, my goals are to hit a solid 30 FPS ... this goal will be defined by your monitor (TrackIR works fine at 30Hz).  There are a heck of a lot more graphics settings one can turn up when one's goal is 30 FPS ... think I've provided more than enough videos all done at 30Hz/30FPS to demonstrate that 60Hz isn't required for smooth flight ... it really depends on your monitor.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: agree with Matt, I don't use NI any more as the AA at 4K is good enough for me and I don't need SGSS AA.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

People see these 'My Settings' videos and think it's the answer to all their problems and then they end up right back at square one.

But what about the people that see the settings and it works for them?  Some people have no clue what settings are GPU intensive, what settings are CPU intensive, I don't see a listing of graphics/add-on settings that works for someone as sending anyone down the wrong road.  Matt and myself (and others) usually list what hardware we're using.

I do agree with you that people will just crank everything up and feel they should be able to ... but that comes from a lack of understanding and more often than not "crank it all up" comes from a reference point defined by some other product or game.  Most in that boat just don't want to spend the money on new hardware, fair enough, but instead of accepting that their hardware is not up to the task, they attack the software as being poorly coded, inefficient, old code ... having never seen a single line of code or understanding the design or even any clue of 3D graphics programming (and never even take a peak at the SDK and it's wealth of information).  

But those people build their own walls/prisons ... hopefully what we share can help people understand and move forward.  Some just don't want to move forward, to each his or her own, but many of us do want to move forward as it's what is keeping 3rd party development growing ... we do want to get "as real as it gets", we do want to be able to "not turn a blind eye" ... it's natural progression and healthy for flight simulation ... it does boggle my mind when some people refer to "eye candy" as if it's a bad thing ... a PMDG 777 VC is all eye candy ... not required to learn the aircraft systems ... fortunately there is systems depth with the eye candy.  But like I've always maintained regardless of your platform of choice and graphics settings, if you can't "turn a blind eye" then flight simulation is going to be a difficult road.

Bottom line is people do whatever they want with their flight simulator, there is no "right way" on how to use it ... the right way is the way one likes to use their flight simulator (they paided for it -- hopefully).  Can it be used for training tool, sure, can it be used to fly under bridges, sure, can it be used to just sit at some point in an airport and watch AI aircraft take off, sure ... heck, you can even pilot a ship or walk an avatar, or drive a car around in the simulated world ... there is no right or wrong.

What we (Matt, myself, froogle/Pete, Neil, and many more offer) is a shared experience, nothing more, nothing less.  If you get something from it great, if not, it didn't really cost anything at all -- did it?

Cheers, Rob.

I believe the phrase "Don 't shoot the messenger" applies here. All anyone can do is post THEIR settings that give THEM the best experience on THEIR system according to THEIR preferences - period.

Some people will just blindly copy the settings and complain loudly when they do not work. Others will understand a bit more and scale the settings to their hardware. We have NO "one size fits all".

Flight simming is a singularly personal experience.

Brian - you don't care for cloud clipping - it annoys you - which is great because it's your system and your flight. I don't know if I would even recognize "cloud clipping" and as such, I don't care. SO if I see a post that gives settings to "fix" cloud clipping, I would ignore them, you would test them and there are those that would just apply them regardless.

This is the problem with posting settings or fixes - no way to tell how they will be interpreted.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

T_T  I didn't shoot any messenger... I don't know if you guys are attacking my posts or being helpful.

Listen, by all means, try every setting until you are blue in the face but when those settings fail don't waste time on the logic that, "It worked for XXXXXX person!  Why doesn't it work for me!?"

This is the point I am making.    Trust me, I have done every single setting I've ever watched Rob do or Matt do or anyone else that's thrown their 2 cents into the arena and I found what works on my system.    These are great places to start but some like to start and finish there and as you said Rob, they complain about how crappy the software is when those settings don't work out and in fact it's just their PC not able to handle what they are throwing at it.

I see this behavior constantly.  I know, i use to be a person that would complain loudly when I first got into this madness 3 years ago.  I don't remember if he said it, but everyone who makes a video like this need to stress that these are settings for 'their hardware'.   I feel if you leave that off you could be doing major damage than good to someone who doesn't understand how the different settings affect smoothness and FPS.  

Again, my point is, these videos are great but when those settings melt your PC have the mindset and flexibility to pull back the settings to something more manageable and don't whip FSX/P3D to go faster and harder.   You are just killing it rather than helping it.

• Upvote 1

100454.png

Brian Navy