Sign in to follow this  
ega

Win10 Update: CPU always at 100%

I just upgrade from Win7 64  bit to W10. Had a few problems I could solve but one I couldn´t: FSX-SE doesnot start - it shows the splash screen and it stays there. Did delete the fsx.cfg but disdn´t solve this issue.

By checking the Task Manager I see that  my CPU is always at "CPU, 100%, 5.80GHz" (I do have a i7-2600k OC). That is odd!

If CPU is always at 100% (with nothing running), it is clear that FSX cannot start.

Does anyone have some idea what is going on?  Why is the CPU always at 100%??

I would be grateful for any help!

PS: It seems this is a problem related to Sandy Bridge 2600k CPU - it is likely a MoBo Bios update is required. As this CPU is quite popular did anyone faced this issue?   

Edmundo Azevedo

If the CPU is running at 100%, there must be something running.Did you click on "App History" and the "Details" tab? 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Thanks Jude - yes, I did but it shows in Details Tab that CPU is 0 in all processes.Therefore it  is not possible to have a 100 CPU usage.  

As I  added into my original message, it seems this a problem related to Sandy Bridge CPU. I am worried because FSX does not run at all - I presume it may be related to this problem but I am not sure because I think this is just a faulty indication (the 100%CPU) .

Edmundo Azevedo

Do you still get this 100CPU usage in Safe mode? 

Jude Bradley

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I have a Sandy Bridge i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz and I've been using W10 fine since August.

The only "issue" I have is Task Manager displaying an incorrect clock speed. It says I'm running the CPU at 6.19GHz, but one could only dream of that.

If you open the Task Manager to the default screen (first tab), you can see which program is using the CPU. Click "CPU" near the top and it will sort in descending order. You should see whatever is using 100% of the processor. Also, make sure your BIOS is up to date (especially if you have an older processor like Sandy Bridge. Back up first), and update all your other drivers.

Edited by linux731

Obrigado Diego.

It is indeed documented that this behavior is typical of Sandy Bridge CPUs and it is solved by a bios update - I know this is not that simple - should you have a link on how to do it I will be grateful (I do have a Asus P9P67 Pro Mobo).

Edmundo Azevedo

Try

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H67M_PRO/HelpDesk_Download/

Make sure you use the correct revision of your board,as you could damage it if the wrong bios is installed.

Jude Bradley

Thanks Jude. As W10 64 bit is not listed, I presume I have to select W8.1 64 bit as operating system. 

Edmundo Azevedo

Yes, choose the most recent BIOS, but this might not fix your Windows 10 issue.

Jude Bradley