Sign in to follow this  
bearcaat12

Any help with my system?

A few days ago I upgraded from AMD 6850 to an Nvidida GTX 950. And while it has improved smoothness and FPS in other payware aircraft, my 777 only gets 7-10 FPS in the cockpit. I've been recently trying to decide if I want to purchase the NGX, but was curious if any of you could help me figure out why my system doesn't seem to run the 777 well and if I can get it well optimized to run both the 777 and 737.

i7 2600K @ 3.40 GHz (Sandy Bridge)

8 GB RAM (DDR3)

Nvidia GEForce GTX 950

As far as the fsx.cfg, I've reset and then added the

HighMemFix=1

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=120

Bufferpools/PoolSize=0

and I've also added the Nvidia Inspector profile.

Thanks for the help,

Nick Stoker

Nick,

Don't worry about the fps.. Worry about the smoothness. If your sim runs the 777 smoothly.. Then don't bother.. If you have strutters.. Then

Try bringing down your bandwidth mult.. To around 80.

Fsx is a frame hog.. Even worse it isn't smooth and will bring down even the best systems.

Try playing around with your ingame settings.. Bring down your autogen density. This doesn't really matter in p3d from my experience.

Check if you have adequate cooling for your system.. If it isn't properly cooled your system isn't going to run to the best of its capabilities.

Also try without the bufferpools. It might work for some and may not for some.

Add the affinity mask tweak. And if you're running p3d add the sysclock tweak.. These can be found online.

Check if your screen resolution and sim resolution are the same.. I can only suggest things that made a difference for me.

All the best and let us know how it goes!

Regards,

H.M

and I've also added the Nvidia Inspector profile.

Make sure to try the different profiles. FSX isn't a GPU-centric program, which means that it's going to rely more on your processor, and less on the new graphics card. Your processor still isn't the strongest out there, so the new GPU doesn't mean "start sliding things right."

If you do use Inspector, then make sure to un-check the Anti-aliasing option in FSX. That will immediately improve performance. Finally, make sure you aren't using the highest water settings.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks for the info kyle. I have the AA off and water effects at High 1.x (so middle range). None of my sliders are too high (basically setting-high). I think my main issue is my older i7. 

Thanks for the info kyle. I have the AA off and water effects at High 1.x (so middle range). None of my sliders are too high (basically setting-high). I think my main issue is my older i7. 

That may very well be the choke hold. If you're seeing worse performance, check your drivers for the video card. I'm sure you updated them after switching the card, but do be sure. I had a driver issue with my audio drivers last night because of some sort of auto-update issue. As soon as I reinstalled the audio drivers specific to my mobo, all was right as rain. Make sure to export your inspector settings prior to doing any driver removals/updates (otherwise, the driver update will erase them - also, be sure to grab the drivers for the manufacturer's version of your card, MSI, etc.).

Have you tried the 4xS profile?

Kyle Rodgers

Nick,

Don't worry about the fps.. Worry about the smoothness. If your sim runs the 777 smoothly.. Then don't bother.. If you have strutters.. Then

Try bringing down your bandwidth mult.. To around 80.

Also try without the bufferpools. It might work for some and may not for some.

Add the affinity mask tweak. 

I'll give the mult=80 a go. Forgot to mention I also added the Affinity Mask prior to the post. bufferpool=0 helped a little. And regarding smoothness, that's what I'm striving for At the lower FPS for me it just is a slide show panning around the cockpit. I've been targeting 30 FPS and realistically hoping inside the cockpit can be around 20 fps. I'm getting close.

Have you tried the 4xS profile?

Had it at 8xS, will change it to 4xS and see if that helps. Is there a specific 4xS profile or just the individual change. Sorry for the naivete, new to Nvidida GPU's

Had it at 8xS, will change it to 4xS and see if that helps. Is there a specific 4xS profile or just the individual change. Sorry for the naivete, new to Nvidida GPU's

I think there are a couple changes to it, like a drop in supersampling, but check to be sure:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/324786-nvidia-configuration-guide-inspector-2xxxx-drivers-version-20-explanations-of-all-settings/

Kyle Rodgers

Made the super sampling changes along with the ones you (Kyle) and 777cap suggested. I've already seen some improvement! Prior, the initial resting fps I would get in the cockpit was 8.9 fps, now sitting around 17.6-19.4!!! Really appreciate the help!!!

And now just to pick your brain just a bit longer, what is the general comparison in performance between the NGX and the 777, I'd love to have them both to mix between short and long haul. I know I can fly the 777 short cuz it's a sim, but I like to replicate realism to some extent.

And now just to pick your brain just a bit longer, what is the general comparison in performance between the NGX and the 777, I'd love to have them both to mix between short and long haul. I know I can fly the 777 short cuz it's a sim, but I like to replicate realism to some extent.

The NGX is a more complex visual model on the flight deck, so you might get a slightly lower frames there, but the 777 is a little more VAS heavy.

As for short flights in the 777 (providing this more to help you find short flights than to prove a point, just to be clear :wink: ):

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ANZ103/history/20151216/2000Z/NZAA/YSSY

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL969/history/20151216/1555Z/KMIA/KDFW

http://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/B772?;offset=0;sort=ASC;order=filed_ete

http://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/B773?;offset=0;sort=ASC;order=filed_ete

http://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/B77L?;offset=0;sort=ASC;order=filed_ete

http://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/B77W?;offset=0;sort=ASC;order=filed_ete

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL2610/history/20151129/1225Z/KATL/KMSP (not a 777, but an example of using a large aircraft for volume events)

[uAL used to - might still - use 777s for spring break volume between KIAD-KMIA, potentially over the summer and holidays]

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks so much for all the help!!

and just for the record, I knew 777 flew some short stops. I kinda expected a reply like yours lol

Thanks, truly have been a big help!

and just for the record, I knew 777 flew some short stops. I kinda expected a reply like yours lol

haha - figured you might've. I just know they can be tough to find. I actually looked for one last night, and settled for "oh, maintenance flight from YUL to YYZ - totally, yeah, that!"

Good to know that I'm predictable  :P

...and glad to help, of course!

Kyle Rodgers