Sign in to follow this  
deetee

The great wall of.... grey!

There are many things I like about X-Plane, but one thing that gets my goat in 10.42 is the massive grey wall in the near distance whenever weather visibilty is limited. It's just awful, and even in clear skies the wall moves further away but is still there. I'm could swear we had better depiction in previous iterations where the limit of visibility was more natural, fading out more gradually to the horizon (not related to extended DSRs, I'm talking about the sky not the ground). The question is, what has changed? Did something get broken?

:nea:

• Upvote 2

I agree. For me its one of the set backs of xplane 10. Hopefully they can get rid of it, pronto!

Elpidio Sánchez-Marcos

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Doesn't the Extreme Fog setting in RTH change this? At least for me, I think the effect is quite nice.

Doesn't the Extreme Fog setting in RTH change this? At least for me, I think the effect is quite nice.

Hi Tony, it does mask it a wee bit but for most other weather conditions it looks like a dog's breakfast. It gets worse unfortunately the higher you get so for us tubeliner jockeys it does kill the immersion somewhat. I've tested with FSGRW, NOAA, and default weather under different conditions and the wall of grey is always there. QED - it can only be the X-Plane engine.

I don't think I've ever seen this wall.  Haze yes.  I do not have RTH installed.  I'll look for it next flight.

Edit: I recorded this a couple days ago...is this what you're referring to?

I don't think I've ever seen this wall.  Haze yes.  I do not have RTH installed.  I'll look for it next flight.

Edit: I recorded this a couple days ago...is this what you're referring to?

Not really, you need to be significantly higher than in your video.

Here is a quick pic I knocked up:

35n6n1z.jpg

If I recall, visibility was about 16nm and I was not using RTH. It's about the depiction of limited visibility; with relativiely clear conditions it's a lot harder to notice. Last night's flight was worse, and the "wall" larger, darker and more foreboding lol. The bottom line is, it looks like s**t, not graduated visibility.

This is a bit like Flightfactor's legendary 777 wingflex-gate really - Obvious for all to see, everyone has asked for it to be fixed but alas for reasons unknown to us, they just don't want (or somehow unable) to fix it 

Not really, you need to be significantly higher than in your video.

Here is a quick pic I knocked up:

If I recall, visibility was about 16nm and I was not using RTH. It's about the depiction of limited visibility; with relativiely clear conditions it's a lot harder to notice. Last night's flight was worse, and the "wall" larger, darker and more foreboding lol. The bottom line is, it looks like s**t, not graduated visibility.

Oh yeah, "that".  Agreed.  Could that be a limitation in how many tiles they can display at one time I wonder.  

Oh yeah, "that".  Agreed.  Could that be a limitation in how many tiles they can display at one time I wonder.

No tiles involved with the air, just needs some love from Ben and the gang. They did a great job getting extended DSFs out, but now it's the sky's turn lol.

I think X-Plane does not simulate different layers of visibility. In reality, visibility tends to get better the higher you get (higher air = colder = less ability to hold moisture), so the "wall" is usually more like a slope, with a lot of sky visible, and the ground cut off at a shorter distance.

• Upvote 1

There are many things I like about X-Plane, but one thing that gets my goat in 10.42 is the massive grey wall in the near distance whenever weather visibilty is limited. It's just awful, and even in clear skies the wall moves further away but is still there. I'm could swear we had better depiction in previous iterations where the limit of visibility was more natural, fading out more gradually to the horizon (not related to extended DSRs, I'm talking about the sky not the ground). The question is, what has changed? Did something get broken?

:nea:

no wall on my setup :wink:

no wall on my setup :wink:

Thanks for your helpful input. ;)

Sorry just poking a little fun - your post is a little ambiguous, what do you see at FL300 when visibility is say, about 15nm?

What is your set up exactly? I'm talking of default clouds etc no SMP or RTH to confuse matters.

Do you use dataref editor? I only get a similar effect when i change clouds whiteout from 1 to 0 within dataref editor