Sign in to follow this  
ahsmatt7

upgrading for the p3d pmdg experience

I also have to say that Intel's Skylake CPU was/is an immense letdown.  I was expecting so much more performance upon release, but alas this is what we get when there is no current competition (AMD).

I also have to say that Intel's Skylake CPU was/is an immense letdown.  I was expecting so much more performance upon release, but alas this is what we get when there is no current competition (AMD).

*???*

I am really satisfied with the 6700k. The overclocking potential is good, overall performance is very good... I don't know what more to wish for?

The one thing here is that most of the modern games are more depending on GPU, so for gamers the performance boost is not that much.

What you have to do to improve your experience highly depends on how you have your system set up.

If you run heavy graphics (4K, high SGSS AA settings, shadows in P3D) then upgrading your GPU will give you a performance boost. However, if you run your system with modest settings (Full HD, limited AA and medium settings in P3D) and you are seeing poor performance when flying the PMDG birds, then most likely your CPU doesn't cut it and you will get the best peformance boost from a CPU upgrade. So you first of all have to identify where your bottleneck is. And this is completely system dependent! All this advice of "go for a new GPU, I have seen a major performance improvement" is useless if the guy who gives you the advice is running 4K res and therefore his old GPU was the bottleneck, but you see poor performance in metropolitan areas in the PMDG 777 because your CPU cannot handle it. In this case a new GPU will be a disappointment for you...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

You are all ready running at 4.6GHz, and you are not going to get any faster then that from a new CPU (and you might still end up struggling to even match it) without spending a LOT of money. The full MOBO upgrade you will need will give you access to newer/better/faster memory and I/O, but as long as you already have an SSD, they will make no measurable difference to FSX/P3D. A better graphics card will help P3D (but not FSX). 

If you really want to improve your FSX/P3D experience and pleasure, I would suggest you spend the money on lessons in your local flight school instead.

You are all ready running at 4.6GHz, and you are not going to get any faster then that from a new CPU

Not true. A Skylake at 4.6 GHz is considerably faster than an old Sandy Bridge at the same clock speed.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Not true. A Skylake at 4.6 GHz is considerably faster than an old Sandy Bridge at the same clock speed.

That's right.

It's not all about pure clock speed.

You are all ready running at 4.6GHz, and you are not going to get any faster then that from a new CPU (and you might still end up struggling to even match it) without spending a LOT of money. The full MOBO upgrade you will need will give you access to newer/better/faster memory and I/O, but as long as you already have an SSD, they will make no measurable difference to FSX/P3D. A better graphics card will help P3D (but not FSX). 

If you really want to improve your FSX/P3D experience and pleasure, I would suggest you spend the money on lessons in your local flight school instead.

I do this stuff for a job. I don't need to spend money on flight lessons. I don't miss those days shelling out thousands of dollars. Hahahahahhaa

Flightsim now is more for nostalgia and remembering my child hood when I played fs98 and fs2000.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda