Sign in to follow this  
kevinplick

FSX Poor Performance High End PC

1. You need to go to bios and check how are the cores set up. Usually by default the 1st is the highest clocked and rest are slower.
If you know how to overclock then make yourself a profile with all cores running at same clock speed.

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=xxxx

Get the xxxx number by calculating here:

That's the start for your cpu and setting it to anything else will simply slow everything down. Remember you have a pretty strong CPU and a lot of people still use settings from 2007. Waste of CPU power :)

3. (this step is valid if you do not want to oc the cpu)
ctrl+alt+del to run task manager, right click on fsx and set affinity to cores 2,3 and 4. Uncheck the rest. Now you can go the hard way and check which other programs use cores 2,3 and 4 and uncheck them but that's not really necessary.
This is the best way to give FSX some room to breathe and make sure it is running on the fastest cores. Now, 1 is always the fastest but system tends to like it a lot which is why i never set fsx to it.

Start with this and if it is still slow then you need to troubleshoot your GPU.

SO!.. I got some GREAT NEWS!. :smile: .. It seems like we have SOLVED the issue!..

What I did is let FSX generate a brand new cfg file after deleting it like 20x!.. then did the following changes..

1) I added the 

[GRAPHICS]

HIGHMEMFIX=1

2) When FSX generated my FSX i kept getting my  Procspeed around 7000's
SO I did some modifications to that as jimburke suggested.. his Pc is a 3.8ghz and his Procspeed was at 13000 so I changed it from 
ProcSpeed=7234 to 13000

3) I tried generating a new Affinitymask as  PaulGR suggested using the site he provided..
I generated it using  (( Octacore [8 Cores] + Hyper-threading Enabled ))  and it gave me
[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=21844

1st test I did using default FSX 747, default scenery EVERYTHING MAXED! ( NO traffic)..unlimited frames 
Parked cockpit view I was getting 60-40 FPS!
outside view i was getting 90-70FPS! .. had one or two lil hiccups but no big deal ..AND THEN right after take off BOOM! computer crashed!  :Doh: it just shut down.. wasn't able to turn it on after 20 mins..

I went back to square one... re-generated another Affinitymask this time using only ((  [Octacore [8 Cores]  )) and it gave me
[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=254

1st test I did using default FSX 747, default scenery EVERYTHING MAXED! ( NO Traffic )..unlimited frames 
Parked cockpit view I was getting 80-60FPS!  (20+ more FPS) then the first test.. I was already saying to myself that it was going to CRASH AGAIN!
outside view i was getting 110-80 FPS!..
After Take off I flew for 20 mins..(using REX Weather as well ) NO HICCUPS! it Ran smooth as a new baby! i tried loading at KJFK high FPS as well still NO HICCUPS!..

2nd test I loaded the PMDG 777 default scenery EVERYTHING MAXED! ( NO Traffic )..unlimited frames 
Cockpit view i was getting 45-30FPS !
outside view i was getting 60-45FPS..which i''ve never experienced...
I did a test flight..20mins inflight Frames still running smooth bouncing around 45-30FPS.. NO Hiccups even when REX Loading its still in it's 30-25FPS  which never used to happen before..

I added FLY TAMPA CYUL and CYYZ
running smooth no hiccups 25FPS+ 

​U guys are Awesome!!!! I do not know how to thank ya'll..
I hope this information will be useful to someone else out there..

SO THE FIX WAS THE
AFFINITYMASK!!! + Procspeed changed to=13000

You might want to look into your cooling or PSU if running things under heavy load crash your computer.

Also, Procspeed does nothing.

You might want to look into your cooling or PSU if running things under heavy load crash your computer. Also, Procspeed does nMY 

My PC is equipped with some sort of Cooling liquid gel.. and I have about 8 FANS! computer never gone over heat.. I've flow before CYYZ-FAJS , FAJS YSSY high graphics.. 30+ hours without rebooting my PC and the temp was still below 65% 

2) When FSX generated my FSX i kept getting my Procspeed around 7000's

SO I did some modifications to that as jimburke suggested.. his Pc is a 3.8ghz and his was 13000.

SO THE FIX WAS THE

AFFINITYMASK!!! + Procspeed changed to=13000

Glad to see you got it fixed by using the affinity mask idea that I had suggested and some folks have you some values to try.

However, manually changing the procspeed values won't do anything as I had stated in one of my posts. Those numbers are generated by FSX when you create a new cfg and are just an assimilation of how fast the processor is running at that time and puts a number there to create some base settings in the sim. The reason I mentioned it in the first place was because yours were slow low that i thought you might not actually been overclocked at all, but it was just that your CPU was not running at full speed at that time. So, you can put any number in the procspeed entry and it won't affect performance at all.

Just glad you got it set up so you can fly now.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Graet news. Happy flying :)

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

Is there a way to have all 4 cpu's  work so none of them is maxed out to 100%   I have 4 cores and notice depending on setting one of the 4 CPU's constantly runs at 100% while FSX is running.  The other 3 balance well.

If I run at affinity mask 8 CPU 3 runs at 100% If I run at 14 it is CPU 1, 16 CPU 0, or 84 CPU 2. 

Is there a way to keep one of the processors from running at max 100% all the time while FSX is running?

Thanks,

Bill

Why would you? FSX's performance is generally limited by the first CPU core you run it on, and if it's cooling problem we are talking about here, you might have better result looking into a better cooling setup - Either that, or underclock your CPU, though that would obviously damage your computer's performance.

Thanks for the reply.  I thought utilizing the AFFINITYMASK option with highmem= 1 allowed all the CPU cores to be utilized. I don't have a heat problem.  I'm not overclocking my CPU.  I'm just trying to figure out how to balance all of the cores so one of them doesn't max out.  The other 3 cores are working handling the additional load and not maxing out.

Thanks

Bill

1. FSX doesn't see anything more than 4 cores (8 logical), and even with 4 cores or 8 logical it's been proved by Dovetail Games that some of the processing threads get repeated (processed) thus hurting performance.  I'm not sure how I would approach that with your processor.

uh, not true. unless something was broken after.

uh, not true. unless something was broken after.

Phil,

My apologies, you (obviously) are quite correct.  I'll clear the cobwebs and try to research where I got that info years ago.

Crap... I do hate to put out wrong information, and I thank you so very much for correcting me!

Thanks again, and my most sincere apologies to anyone who may have relied on what I said.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

no worries there, just want to be sure of accurate data.

one of the reasons, after all this time, 6+ years, that FSX (and its step-child P3D ) are still "what we have", is there are sooooo many challenges to making a full-world sim.

the "sim engine and rendering engine" are almost dwarfed by the business and technical challenges of generating the world-data-set, for instance. the interlocking data agreements alone are serious business.

and that's just the mesh; without human footprint ( urbania, suburbania, farmland, etc ), or airports, or planes to fly, or cockpits, or 3 types of traffic, or sky ( atmosphere, sun, moon, stars ), or water, or appearance of land, or add-ons, or ....

still, the Steam version breathed some life into the old beast, and it will be exciting to see the VR version of FSX.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the reply.  I thought utilizing the AFFINITYMASK option with highmem= 1 allowed all the CPU cores to be utilized. I don't have a heat problem.  I'm not overclocking my CPU.  I'm just trying to figure out how to balance all of the cores so one of them doesn't max out.  The other 3 cores are working handling the additional load and not maxing out.

Thanks

Bill

Things are getting mixed up here... 

Highmem= 1 is a required fix, but it does not in any way affect core usage.

As for one core being maxed, that is the way FSX was coded, and it cannot be changed.

So, what you are looking at is likely the way it should run.

One core runs the main FSX load, and the other cores are responsible for terrain loading.

Bert

Listen to Bert, he is correct.

If you got a 6 core or more use AM=340 HT enabled, or 30 HT disabled. An affinity mask won't do much for your fps, but will alter smoothness and swiftness in getting the data to that main thread.

HIGHMEMFIX=1

Say you got a field and it's got a fence partitions off a bit for some chickens, the rest you got sheep in there. So if you want to keep more chickens, you can move the fence over a bit to increase the size of the chicken run, at the expense of taking some room off the sheep. That's sort of what HIGHMEMFIX=1 does. Back when we only had 500-750Mb video RAM there was enough room for most planes the way the GPU resources were partitioned, but some planes came out have so many parts that they needed the HIGHMEMFIX=1 to make room. If you see trucks with only the wheels showing, or no wings on your plane try HIGHMEMFIX=1. Generally just leave it set like that anyway with FSX (Box). Back in the old days when we had smaller GPUs, HIGHMEMFIX=1 could cause other weird problems, but these days it's not an issue. That's why it was not implemented by default back then.

If you are using FSX Box you may want to try a small bufferpool. Bufferpools can be thought of like the carpark at a ferry crossing. The carpark needs to be able to handle the cars waiting for the next ferry. No parking at all or too much parking is inefficient for the ferry service. With recent PCs the GPU and CPU run very quickly together requiring only a small bufferpool setting.

[bufferpools]

UsePools=1

Poolsize=2000

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Thanks folks.....  Now I know why one core it maxed out and that is the way it is....  I even tried it in steam FSX and it does the same thing....:)

Thanks folks.....  Now I know why one core it maxed out and that is the way it is....  I even tried it in steam FSX and it does the same thing....:)

Maybe exactly what SP1 did in terms of threading and peformance needs to be clarified:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/microsoft-flight-simulator-x-soars-to-new-heights-with-multi-threading

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ptaylor/archive/2007/05/15/performance-work-in-sp1.aspx

And SP2:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ptaylor/archive/2007/10/02/acceleration-and-sp2.aspx