Sign in to follow this  
airernie

ERJ throttle

This is a question for those of you flying the FeelThere ERJ regional jets.

I purchased it last month and am finally getting into some VATSIM flying.

I really like the aircraft, but keeping the throttle at a constant airspeed is beating me to death.   There are points were, even in steady air, the airspeed bounces up and down. 

I'm finding it virtually impossible to keep proper airspeed during landing.

I've seldom had that issue with the GA aircraft I fly.

Any guidance, because I'm about to park it and start flying the 175/195, which I would rather not do just yet.

Thanks,

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

I fly the Feelthere ERJs a lot :smile:   but I'm not sure if I understand the exact issue you're having with maintaining speed.  Do you mean that the engine power is fluctuating, causing the changing speed?    for me, once I reach cruise and press the "CRZ" power rating button, behind the throttles, power will be smoothly delivered.   If my altitude is optimum (read high enough) I can keep the throttles in the full forward detent, with CRZ set, and the plane will not overspeed.

If you're altitude is less than optimum (read too low), then you will overspeed with the throttle in the detent, at the CRZ power setting.    But even then, all that's needed (as in the real world) is to pull back the throttles out of the detent (NB. the N1 will race up before it starts to reduce), and pull back until I reach desired cruise speed (usually between 0.74 and 0.76 mach).    For me, the speed will then be stable, although as the aircraft burns fuel, it will gradually accelerate, so care is needed to monitor speed and to reduce power when this happens.

So going back to basics, are you using the power rating buttons, for the correct phase of flight (behind the throttles)?

Are you ensuring that when in T/O, Climb, etc that the throttle lever is fully forward, so that the FADEC is engaged?

Other than that, I'm not sure what the issue could be.  Maybe a bad potentiometer on your joystick, causing power to fluctuate?

• Upvote 2

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Currently flying:- (GA): COWS DA-42, A2A Comanche, FSW C414, WT SR22T, FSS P2006, BlSq TBM850, FSR M500, Flyboy Rans S6S, SWS Zenith 701,C172 JT-A mod (Airliners): Fenix A320, Ini A300-600, FBW A320 NEO and PMDG737.

Hi Ernie,

I'll echo what Bill stated as I fly the plane quite often as well... It's a great plane - one of my favorites - and - pretty easy to fly... I've learned to love the FADEC and it's pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it... Maybe Bill is flying higher than me but once I level out and put the engines in cruise mode - I usually pull the throttle back a bit from max...

On a side note - personally - I wouldn't waste any time on the 175/195 as I don't think they compare to the quality of the ERJ's... I've used them a couple times but they have done nothing but gather dust since I purchased them... The gauges are really small which make them hard to read and the flight model made it feel like flying a default aircraft...

Best of luck...

Regards,

Scott

• Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Thanks Bill and Scott,

I really want to like this aircraft, but the power issue is extremely frustrating..

Are either of you using a throttle controller, or the graphic throttle on the ERJ pedestal? 

If you do have an external throttle what brand and is it calibrated through FSX or FSUIPC?

I am using the power rating buttons, but I probably switch from T/O to CLB a bit too soon.  What about descent?  I just leave it at the CRZ setting and that might not be correct.  The engine speed, at least by sound remains pretty constant, although a bit deafening at times.

At CRZ I find the air speed tends to creep up and it takes a fair amount of movement on my Saitek throttle to get it to start reducing, then it wants to drop too much, so it becomes a catch up with the drop, then a catch up with the rise, etc. Although, sometimes I get lucky and it will stabilize

Under 10,000 it becomes a challenge to manage 250K and lower than that, it becomes even more difficult.  During landing, it become impossible to maintain a constant speed.

I've got a Saitek throttle that plugs in my yoke, which I have never used, perhaps I ought to hook it up and see if there is a potentiometer issue on the TPM although it seem to work okay with GA aircraft.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

Hi Ernie,

I have a CH Pro Throttle which I've probably used both ways at time - configured in MSFS and FSUIPC... I'd recommend calibrating and using via FSUIPC... The climb should be a no brainier - simply set for climb and engage autopilot - as the autopilot uses pitch to control the airspeed...

Honestly - I know it takes a little playing with to get the cruise right - I think what I did was note the EPR values when I found a good cruise and would use that as a starting point on subsequent flights... "Dspalding" is a real world ERJ driver and if I recall correctly he confirmed it was pretty realistic that you would have to play with the throttles in flight - it's not an auto throttle... Landings I never really had an issue and I've flown many of them... I assume you know that jets usually have spool time lag - could that be hurting your adjustment... I'd triple check your throttle calibration if it's really an issue...

All I can say is don't give up - as the ERJ has truly been one of my favorite planes in MSFS...

Hah - been waiting for years for Digital Aviation to finally complete their CRJ - probably my next airliner (not really a Boeing/Airbus guy) - they seem to finally be getting close...

Regards,

Scott

Aerosoft website states "Expected Box-Release: 28.01.2016" for the DA CRJ, so not long now. If it doesn't get delayed (again).

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Hi Chris,

That does sound good - I've been a huge fan of DA since I purchased the Cheyenne and subsequently flew the wings off that thing - which I still use today... I've racked up some serious miles on that bird - I'd have to assume the CRJ quality will be on par with that - the previews look superb....

Regards,

Scott

Aerosoft website states "Expected Box-Release: 28.01.2016" for the DA CRJ, so not long now. If it doesn't get delayed (again).

That ETA is probably just a placeholder, as their store requires a date to be inserted.

Hoping that AS will relaunch their release countdown sometime soon, though.

Hey Ernie,

I'm using the same Saitek throttle (plugged into the yoke) that you're using.  As Scott said, there often wil be a need to manually adjust the throttle in cruise, as the plane has no autothrottle.  All the CRZ mode is doing, is setting a max power setting for cruise.   Certainly as you descend, you would need to manually throttle back to prevent overspeed.

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Currently flying:- (GA): COWS DA-42, A2A Comanche, FSW C414, WT SR22T, FSS P2006, BlSq TBM850, FSR M500, Flyboy Rans S6S, SWS Zenith 701,C172 JT-A mod (Airliners): Fenix A320, Ini A300-600, FBW A320 NEO and PMDG737.

Hey Ernie,

I'm using the same Saitek throttle (plugged into the yoke) that you're using.  As Scott said, there often wil be a need to manually adjust the throttle in cruise, as the plane has no autothrottle.  All the CRZ mode is doing, is setting a max power setting for cruise.   Certainly as you descend, you would need to manually throttle back to prevent overspeed.

Thanks,

I'm thinking that the biggest need here is for me to learn to have some more patience.  Coming from the world of GA I use to fairly rapid feedback from the throttle.

I'm going to have to experiment with moving the throttle, wait for a response.  It's just sort of hard when that voice is shouting 'Overspeed, overspeed, overspeed' into you headset..

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

For descent, try a setting of around 70% N1 above 10000 feet, and around 50-55% N1 below 10000.  That works pretty well for me in most conditions.

David Norman Paul

Just a follow-up. Climb, cruise, descent (for most part) all good.  Still working on maintaining 250 below 10,000 and landings.  The speeds seem to fluctuate most here. 

I have both a Saitek TPM and a Saitek throttle quadrant which attaches to my Cessna yoke.  Both seem to operate about the same, but the quadrant is easier on my fingers. :-)

I have found by watching N1 % that neither throttle is capable of extremely small corrections.  For example a minimal move may very well result in a decrease from 87.1% to 86.6 or more and visa versa.  That makes it hard to precisely hold a N1 percentage. 

i can sometimes find a compromise by moving the throttle gently forward or backwards. 

It might be solvable in FSUIPC, so that's my next step.  I need big movements of the throttle to make small corrections, not the other way around.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem