Sign in to follow this  
MM

California - Climbing the High Sierra

California – Climbing the High Sierra

We depart from Redding (KRDD) to follow the Sacramento River northwestward. At the bend in the river stands the stylish "Sundial Bridge" (waypoint SDIAL) just north of Benton (O85). Just westward, there are two bridges that might tempt foolhardy pilots to do something reckless rather than safe. Staying low at 700 feet ASL and following the curve northward, we pass the handsome Keswick Dam (KESWK). A few miles further along, we run abruptly into the grand Shasta Dam (SHAST) that stands 600 feet above the river bed. We turn over Shasta Lake and the surrounding hills and land at the small private Tews Field (CA53). Take care for the frisky ponies.

We climb east past the peaks that surround the dangerous volcano Mount Lassen (LASSN) at 10,457 feet. And we descend to land at Chester's Rogers Field (O05) on the shore of Lake Almanor. A pair of flights over the Pumas National Forest takes us to Quincy's Gansner Field (2O1), crosses the Feather River, and then leads down the mountains to the airstrip at Brownsville (P49). We then climb over the New Bullards Bar Dam and Reservoir to Nyack-Blue Canyon (KBLU). The approach is an eye-popping sight as the airfield is perched on a hilltop alongside the busy traffic of Interstate I-80. Just a few miles east lies the formidable Donner Pass.

Next, the route takes us to the interesting setting at Placerville (KPVF), the center of the 1849 California Gold Rush and its Mother Lode. Finally, we climb over the Eldorado Forest and the Desolation Wilderness to see Pyramid Peak (9,985 ft) and frozen Lake Aloha (waypoint ALOHA). If the weather permits, we might enjoy circling northward to see the legendarily beautiful Lake Tahoe (LTAHO) itself. We shall finish our journey at the tourist airport at South Lake Tahoe (KTVL). The staff have been kind enough to arrange a warm welcome at the bar.

All of the fields (save P49) have hard surfaces and the final two have some lighting. The Cessna 182 Skylane, Piper Comanche, Beech Bonanza, and Vans RV7 would all be good choices for this tour. I'll stick with the splendid LDR freeware Ryan Navion. Fly whatever you please.

CS_KTVL_Tarmac2.jpg

The FSX / Plan-G flight Plan is here.

Recommended scenery: 
Orbx FTX Northern California (NCA) Regional Scenery

Optional Orbx Payware Airports (not necessary):
Orbx Redding Municipal (KRDD and O85)
Orbx Blue Canyon-Nyack (2O1 and KBLU)
Orbx Lake Tahoe (KTVL)

Date and time: Saturday 19th December, 1900 UTC
Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel

Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com
Multiplayer: FSX Multiplayer (IP will be provided on Teamspeak)

If you want to help others enjoy the multiplayer experience, don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer spreadsheet! (linked here)

Note to Ron: Please Set Server Local Time to 13:00 PST

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Roman,  May I ask how you guys utilize the SkyVector map?  Minimized and accessed when needed?  I use Plan-G this way.

Stew

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

Stew,

Like you, I use Plan-G for the actual flight specially for situational awareness. (Where is everyone? "I Need a vector Victor" :LMAO: ) I use SkyVector preflight to check the WX - "Layers" menu (winds/radar), MEA's etc.. During the flight I occasionally use it to find/verify certain things not provided by Plan-G - Railroad lines, dams, power lines, obstacles, real life warnings/airport information (SV links) etc.. Mostly I use it to hone the rusty "real life" map usage skills..

"Minimized and accessed when needed?" -> Yes.

A new tip!! - Remember the old style flight plan window listing of the waypoints in SV? IT'S STILL THERE! :Applause: It's just switchable now. Look for a toggle switch to the left of the "X" (flight plan window close) - that will do it.

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Thanks, Roman.  Using SV is new to me, so I'll have to play around with it.  Thanks for the tip.

On another note, I just downloaded the AreZone sound package for the Bonanza A36.  I'm looking forward to seeing if there is any improvement.  AreZone's packages for the Seneca V and the MilViz B55 are highly recommended over at the respective Avsim forums.  Those on the Navajo forum, however, opted to stick with Carenado's default sounds.

Stew

Edit to add:  The switchable flt plan is kinda kewl--I like it!

Mike,

I've come up with a flt plan from KTVL to KMRY, but I'm not sure what with some of the guys not available next Sat., the 26th, if we would want to do that flight then.  Maybe the Saturday after that, Jan.2?  What say ye all?

Stew

Stew

Thanks for the SkyVector maps, Roman. The High Sierra Pilot's Guide is now in the packet, available here.

Stew, we were thinking about doing the "Road to Monterey" on January 2nd when more of the gang will be available. And maybe do more of a "free flight" on December 26th for those who are hankering to fly online.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Stew,

Like you, I use Plan-G for the actual flight specially for situational awareness. (Where is everyone? "I Need a vector Victor" :LMAO: ) I use SkyVector preflight to check the WX - "Layers" menu (winds/radar), MEA's etc.. During the flight I occasionally use it to find/verify certain things not provided by Plan-G - Railroad lines, dams, power lines, obstacles, real life warnings/airport information (SV links) etc.. Mostly I use it to hone the rusty "real life" map usage skills..

"Minimized and accessed when needed?" -> Yes.

A new tip!! - Remember the old style flight plan window listing of the waypoints in SV? IT'S STILL THERE! :Applause: It's just switchable now. Look for a toggle switch to the left of the "X" (flight plan window close) - that will do it.

And you STILL get lost?! :P

This flight is unexpected. I either wasn't listening, (Note 1. An accusation leveled at me by my missus) or I misunderstood, (See note 1)

or I forgot. (I refer you to note 1)

I thought it would be a 'let's see if anyone turns up' type thing.

I am of course, delighted. Thank you Mike. :good:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Question:  How do I post a link here?  (I'm dense, to be sure).

Stew

Mike,  January 2 sounds good.  When would you like the flight plan?

Stew

Stew

Step 1. Type a word such as HERE or something snappier and then highlight it.

Step 2. Click on the 'chain link' icon in the toolbar.

Step 3. Paste the link into the dialogue box.

The 'HERE' turns to blue indicating a successful operation.

Did you see what I did there? I assumed you had already copied the link address. :rolleyes:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Ron, Does this process not work for an Avsim links?  I've pasted the link in the dialogue box, but can't click "OK" to post the link.

Stew

Stew,

Ron is correct, provided you're in RTE (Rich Text Editor - light switch, upper left corner) mode. Your default forum mode is specified in your forum account settings. If you go to the forum help - here, it will describe all the icons and what they do. Note, some are missing by default but are hidden in the special BBCode dropdown.

An example of using the plain text/BBCode (light switch) mode is when I post photos from past flights - it makes it easier to post multiple pictures.

[b]
BOLD TEXT WILL GO HERE

[img=Link from photo hosting site]

MORE BOLD TEXT

[img=Another link from photo hosting site]

MORE BOLD TEXT

[img=Another link from photo hosting site]
[/b]

EDIT - I see you posted as I did... Did some quick tests and.. Do not know why "OK" is not enabled for you. Maybe one must be a race team member? Jeff may be able to answer that.. Was the link correctly formatted IE " http://www. ~~~~~ "? A last ditch effort is to just post the link as plain text, it should show up. Example below for Psychedelic Weather.

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/500hPa/equirectangular

EDIT AGAIN - THE ABOVE LINK WAS JUST PASTED AS PLAIN TEXT AND THE FORUM PARSED IT AS A HYPERLINK. SO THAT MAY BE AN ALTERNATE WAY INSTEAD OF EMBEDDING THE LINK WITHIN TEXT UNTIL IT IS FOUND OUT WHY.

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Hi, Roman.  Yeah, an exercise in futility, I'm afraid.  The discussion I wanted to alert everyone to is over at the "Unofficial" Orbx forum at Avsim, centering around the approach and landing at KTVL.  Here's the link in plaintext, though (with RTE enabled, btw):

http://www.avsim.com/topic/480050-ktvl-lake-tahoe-question-about-runways/#entry3341656

Stew

Stew

The High Sierra Pilot's Guide is now in the packet, available here.

Great Narrative Mike,  Love the youtube video of the Mooney flight from Reno-Chester with the menacing music.  I noticed how high he was in the pattern when he drops his gear.  Only way to go down is to slow down, and only way to slow down is to drop the gear.

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png