Sign in to follow this  
Heathrow to Dublin

Ocean looks like an acrylic painting?

​Hey, I notice when I fly over the ocean at a reasonable altitude (around 5000 feet + ), the water looks like a painting, with a regular linear pattern that seems frozen and strange looking white reflections from the clouds.  I don't like the effect, because it looks like someone painted it with blue paint and left these undulations with a paint brush.  I don't see movement from above, just this shimmering effect and lines going across the screen.  I am running water on Ultra.  I notice that when I zoom in, the water is indeed moving, but the effect from altitude is very bizarre!  Is it just me or does everyone have this?  I'm running REX4, and I've tried different textures to no avail.

• Upvote 1

Its not you.. It is like that.. :)

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Waves sparkle even at 30,000 feet and that sparkle varies according to the LOCAL and AC visibility factor, clouds- yes, decidedly more difficult to do then just shadows on undulating terrrain,AC height, distance from them, wind strength, and direction, tidal pull, objects in the water, and probably more than several other forces that I couldn't think of...

The water effect slider is a joke

0-------------0...

Flying over a painting destroys every bit of "eye candy" Lockheed Martin has given us...come on LM... give us ...SOMETHING!

Seasons Cheers to all!

Chas

• Upvote 1

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Yes, it does look like hand painted streaks for alleged movement. I turned off the reflections except for "my plane".One notch of slider.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Note that the water animations changed between v2.3 and v2.4 so if you're trying to use any older addons (FSX) that modify water animations it will kill the wave animations. I believe the changed file was OceanHeight20FieldLayer5.dds. If you use REX4 make sure you select "DX11 enabled (P3D v2.4 - P3D v3)" for wave animations on the main configuration page.

I'm not thrilled with the water in P3D either BTW :smile:

Thought there was another long topic on this subject just a few days ago.  I would seek that out.  I know exactly what you are talking about.  I was trying to think of a good name for it.  Acrylic glass is pretty good :smile:

If I remember correct, a suggestion was to make sure to have wind at the surface AND at all cloud layers.  Why that would have an effect is anyone's guess.  Also heard murmurs that v3.1 will have some water improvement.  Hope they do as well as aircraft landing and strobe light fixes.

Merry Christmas

Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Speaking of water, Whatever happened to the REX team working on something to change the water color in the sim?

Speaking of water, Whatever happened to the REX team working on something to change the water color in the sim?

REX 4 HD has water color options along with many water textures/animations. My water looks fantastic...I would highly recommend it! Your clouds will look much better as well!

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

REX 4 HD has water color options along with many water textures/animations. My water looks fantastic...I would highly recommend it! Your clouds will look much better as well!

Not what he meant....

REX were supposed to be offering a way to manually change the shade of the water instead of 'bright, 'medium' and 'dark' which are all way too blue for my tastes.

I'm using REX4 in p3d v 3 and I'm not liking the look.  What are the best settings in REX4 for realistic water?

Not what he meant....

REX were supposed to be offering a way to manually change the shade of the water instead of 'bright, 'medium' and 'dark' which are all way too blue for my tastes.

Ah, wasn't aware of that.  That would be cool as I do agree, it is a bit too blue.

I'm using REX4 in p3d v 3 and I'm not liking the look.  What are the best settings in REX4 for realistic water?

I use Dark-Default-Pronounced for the water and the Photoreal waves. Those two give a very realistic appearance from altitude IMO..

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Woweeee!.....Santa!?.....here that?

Wait...whaaaat?....I don't see no steenking REX 4 HD seenhor...you mean Rex Texture Direct?

Chas

• Upvote 1

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Woweeee!.....Santa!?.....here that?

Wait...whaaaat?....I don't see no steenking REX 4 HD seenhor...you mean Rex Texture Direct?

Chas

:LMAO:

Rich Sennett

"Subtle and focused" for me, water color disabled (default P3D v3 water textures). I agree with GHarral, too blue. :smile:

Superb way to describe the water.  It's very disappointing right now and I hope those "rumblings" about 3.1 maybe addressing the water are true!