Sign in to follow this  
Evan

windows 10 & v3

I'm considering doing a clean install of windows 10. I'm currently on windows 7 with no issues. I'm wondering if anyone has seen performance improvements like fps increase with windows 10? 

Evan Hardin 

None that I noticed. I'm running Win7 and Win10 side by side until such time that I know there will be no problems making the final transition.

No issues to report here. I've been using W10 and v3 since both were released and haven't had a single problem.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

I'm not seeing any negative issues with Prepar3D v3 running on Windows 10. I am experiencing some issues with my Saitek Pro Flight Yoke and their Windows 10 driver, which did previously work but broke for me after after Windows 10 Build 1151 was released.

I have gotten the Yoke to work since then. I had to manually assign the driver. The good news is that my Saitek rudder pedals and driver work fine.

My only issue is with the numerous GoFlight modules I have on startup of P3D

Sometimes they light up and on other occasions I have to manually start them ... and if all else fails I have to reboot Win 10

I am hoping the next GoFlight driver will address this problem ..... apart from that everything is fine

Updated to Win10 from Win7 pro a month ago. No issues at all, and no differences in P3D V3 performances.

Getting rid of previous Win installation files gave me back 20Gb on my (small) OS SSD, that's nice anyway.

Cheers,

Massimo Burti

Intel Core i9-13900K ¦ 64GB DDR4-3200 - 2x 32GB - Kingston Fury Beast - black ¦ 2x 2TB - m.2 NVMe Gen4 - Samsung 980 Pro ¦ Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4  ¦ Asus TUF RTX 3080 Gaming OC LHR - 12GB ¦ 1000W - 80+ Platinum - Seasonic Prime PX

I heard with win10 you have no choice to stop updates unlike in win7.

Basically win10 updates cant be stopped or controlled in any way

I prefer to backup before updates, not sure youll get that with win10.

Do you guys really want an OS where you cant refuse updates on a Flight Simulator that walks on Stilettos, falls down even without being pushed. Add win10 unstoppable updates to that is gona be some hard work.

Read this in the press.

Anyone using Windows 10 should, if possible, get the pro edition. Using Group Policy, you can control the updates and download a troubleshooter that allows you to hide updates (like drivers) you don't want to get. That is not possible with the home edition. Easy for me to say. I had 7 Ultimate and was able to upgrade to 10 pro. Just something to think about.

Anyone using Windows 10 should, if possible, get the pro edition. Using Group Policy, you can control the updates and download a troubleshooter that allows you to hide updates (like drivers) you don't want to get. That is not possible with the home edition. Easy for me to say. I had 7 Ultimate and was able to upgrade to 10 pro. Just something to think about.

gfd

I have the pro edition. How do I control the updates using Group Policy and where can I get this troubleshooter?  Many thanks for any reply.

John

gfd

I have the pro edition. How do I control the updates using Group Policy and where can I get this troubleshooter?  Many thanks for any reply.

John

Open the GPE and navigate to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update.

Double click on "Configure Automatic Updates", and under "Configure automatic updating", choose which one you want. Save the setting and restart your computer.

The tool can be downloaded here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Excellent Diego,

Just a couple of things. If you want to prevent automatic updating and want full control, choose option 2 when you get into Group Policy. In addition to the hide update tool that Diego provided the link for, you can a program to check for updates. It will honour the hidden updates. Create a shortcut to run C:\Windows\System32\UsoClient.exe -Start Scan. If you use the check for updates button in Windows Settings, it will give you everything.

So the order is:

-create the shortcut to scan for updates

-run the trouble shooter Diego referenced and hide updates you don't want

-run the shortcut to scan for further updates

-hide updates you don't want

-etc

Not trying to steal your thunder Diego, just filling in the gaps.

Cheers

I heard with win10 you have no choice to stop updates unlike in win7.

Basically win10 updates cant be stopped or controlled in any way

I prefer to backup before updates, not sure youll get that with win10.

Do you guys really want an OS where you cant refuse updates on a Flight Simulator that walks on Stilettos, falls down even without being pushed. Add win10 unstoppable updates to that is gona be some hard work.

Read this in the press.

The update policy is really just the tip of the iceberg. That and many other things happening with Windows show the direction towards which Microsoft is heading so clearly that I am planning my slow migration to Linux / X-Plane within the next year or so.  

I don't expect P3D to ever be ported to Linux (maybe it will be possible to run with wine libraries in a few years) because the market is just too tiny. Sad but understandable: even with X-Plane it's only 3% Linux.

I don't want to insinuate that this is the path everybody should take - it depends on your priorities and of course how happy you are to fiddle around with configurations and computers in general vs just wanting to go and fly - but I definitely am one of those who Microsoft has finally pushed to jump ship.

Why not just STAY with w7? Is there any NEED to upgrade? I can understand if one has other things on their system that require W10 but if not - I see no real advantage in upgrading.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Why not just STAY with w7? Is there any NEED to upgrade? I can understand if one has other things on their system that require W10 but if not - I see no real advantage in upgrading.

Vic

Due to all the Enterprise customers and business users that would rather burn their company to the ground than move away from Windows 7, 7 will be around for many , many years.  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310