Sign in to follow this  
planenut

Switch to Win 10 or Not

Hi All,

Right now I am running FSX on a Win 7/64 machine with no particular problems.  Am debating whether or not to switch to Win 10 but am concerned that it may result in problems with my addons.  I use Saitek yoke, throttles, pedals, multipanel, and radio panel, plus many aircraft addons (including PMDG NGX), ORBX scenery, AS Next, Track IR, and EZDOK.

Would appreciate any advice from those who have made the switch and what problems they may have experienced.  Sure would hate to mess up my setup and be sorry I switched.  Also, is there any improvement in FSX with Win 10.

Thanks for any advice.

Jim

Did a full uninstall before the switch and reinstalled after, and no problem with FSX itself were observed. However, be ready for some quirk in W10.

Also I think I read about someone having driver issue with Saitek hardware under W10, and there are threads about that around. You might want to check those out.

EDIT: Be sure to switch to windowed mode before accessing any menu in-game if you don't run DX10, or there would only be a black screen, at least on some setups.

"Why fix it, if it aint broken"?

I believe I heard that somewhere...

Happily using Win7-64 and staying there  :smile:

• Upvote 3

Bert

I'm with Bert.  My brother switched to Win10 a while back, had all sorts of issues (things were just broken and needed TLC to get working again, re-installs, different drivers, or none existed.  He got fed up and rolled back to Win7.

He asked me if I'd changed yet...and guess what I said:

"if it ain't broke don't fix it".

cheers

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Like Bert I'm staying with 7,  have read that 10 has no advantage  and that  it was developed more for media and gaming as in shoot em type games. Looking at commercial FS add-ons like scenery and aircraft the specs rarely mention 10 but as I have not read anything about this I can only assume they work on 10, although as mentioned above there could be issues with controllers such as Saitek.  I have a basic install of FSX on a laptop running 10 with some add on scenery which seems to work (using a Microsoft joystick), but the system isn't powerful enough to run a complicated install.  I have never been inclined to fix anything that works, so wont be making a move to 10. 

Happy Christmas

Echofox

I will stick with Win7 until L-M releases a 64bit version of Prepar3D. At that point I will have to update to Win10 in order to utilize DX11 or DX12.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

FSX-SE + W10 running great here.

I switched only to get the new "free OS". Also to take advantage of DX12 -for other games-

Cheers :)

N.-

Hi,

Thanks for all the inputs.  Guess I'll just stay with what I have.  Like Bert said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Sounds like good advice.

Jim

I will stick with Win7 until L-M releases a 64bit version of Prepar3D. At that point I will have to update to Win10 in order to utilize DX11 or DX12.

I won't even buy L-M's product until it's 64 bit, then I'll reluctantly go to 10 because of DirectX.  FSX still works great for me on Win 7 64 bit.

Greg

I love all these threats.. I won't buy xxx because/until yyy!!

Who actually cares??

My 3x FS9's & 1x P3D all work well in Windows 10, for those who care. They also worked well in Windows 8.1 before I upgraded to 10!

You do realise that Lockheed Martin will only go for a 64bit sim if & only when their corporate clients request it & you also should realise that most, if not all add-ons (32bit) will not work or will not benefit with a 64bit program?

A Merry Christmas & Happy new Year to all.

• Upvote 2

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

FSX-SE + W10 running great here.

I switched only to get the new "free OS". Also to take advantage of DX12 -for other games-

+ 1  No problems with windows 10

• Upvote 1

Regards

Lamar Wright

I love all these threats.. I won't buy xxx because/until yyy!!

Who actually cares??

My 3x FS9's & 1x P3D all work well in Windows 10, for those who care. They also worked well in Windows 8.1 before I upgraded to 10!

You do realise that Lockheed Martin will only go for a 64bit sim if & only when their corporate clients request it & you also should realise that most, if not all add-ons (32bit) will not work or will not benefit with a 64bit program?

A Merry Christmas & Happy new Year to all.

Frankly, I couldn't care less what Lockheed Martin does (and in case you haven't noticed, I'm not the only one).  They have the right to run their business as they see fit, and the consumer has the right to choose what they will choose.  And yes, I understand what will happen to our 32 bit add-ons if/when L-M offers a 64 bit sim.  Regarding Windows iterations, what you clearly fail to realize is that there are plenty of folks who prefer not to pay just to be beta testers for software development companies.  What you call "threats" is really nothing more than apathy toward the industry and it's slick marketing.

To clarify, there are plenty of us who stay with Windows 7 simply because it works for us and we prefer not to be part of the tech merry-go-round (been there, did that for years).  If 10 (and previously 8.1) work for you and you're happy, then congrats.

Regards,

Greg

Pay to become a beta tester? I'm confused here. I certainly did not 'pay' to get Windows 10, nor did millions of other folk.

You, I'm sure, realise that Windows 10 is a free update for those with suitable Windows 7 & 8.1? And you can always roll back to your previous OS if you are not happy? Within (30 days). 

Also, as there are so many different hardware configurations out there, I'm sure that there will be some that will be a bit problematic. 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

For those who did make the switch...

I have both FSX Gold and FSX SE..   SE works fine but Gold won't load.  I considered uninstalling gold and trying to load it again, but my disk won't load(don't remember the error message), and I can't find the path to uninstall from the program file.

Does anyone that was able to get Gold or the box version to work have any ideas one what to do, or should I just delete everything and stick with FSX SE?