Sign in to follow this  
DreamAero

Catch 22... FSX Steam...FSX Gold.....FSX Steam... FSX Gold....Both!

Hi friends, :smile:

I have FSX Gold and FSX Steam but I have only the Gold installed on my PC. I have PMDG 737 Ngx and Concorde X

I want to migrate to FSX Steam as I have various addons lined up for the steam. Concorde X is still not steam compatible so I am a bit hesitant to move to steam without it. And since I have spent most of my time with the Gold I just dont feel like closing my association with the Gold Edition.

So I have planned to retain my FSX Gold as my secondary Simulator and Steam as my Primary Simulator. This way I will keep Concorde X on Gold and rest of my addons except Concorde X on Steam.

So my query is:

1) Can FSX Gold and FSX Steam be installed on the same system?.

2) I wish to keep FSX Gold on a separate drive with all my other games installed and steam will be on a separate drive which will be exclusively reserved for steam. Currently FSX Gold is on a separate drive reserved for it.

3) If the above 2 questions are "yes", which Sim should I install first, FSX Gold or FSX Steam as I fear steam should not overwrite config files meant for FSX Gold.

Sorry for writing so long..  :smile:

I need your guidance

Regards

Dreamaero

Hi,

I have the same setup.

You can install both on the same system and can also have Steam Edition installed on a separate drive, like I have.

Regarding installation, leave FSX Gold installed and install FSX SE via the normal process. Just point the 'Steam Installer to your specific drive.

The only issue that may crop up, depending upon what add-ons you have, is you need each add -on to have it's own "dual installer" that enables both the Gold Edition and SE versions to be installed on the correct drives and in the Windows registry. Manual install tweaks are possible if the dual installer does not exist, but this can be come messy.

Also remember to not only check your aircraft and scenery add-ons for compatibility,but also any utilities you may use for your flight simming experience. Many commercial developers have updated their installers over recent months, so downloads of the latest installers may be required.

Regards,

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

maintaining a dual install is a hassle in my experience. i had too many problems with conflicting installers getting confused and finally just wiped my old fsx and switched to steam. the concorde is the only thing i miss.

however, the concorde update that works with fsx-se is coming sometime soon. check the fslabs forums for info! if that is the main reason you want to keep an fsx install, then my advice would be to wait for that update then just switch everything. no muss, no fuss.  info about the update is on their forums here: http://forums.flightsimlabs.com/index.php?/topic/6042-concorde-x-v13-news-update/

cheers

-andy crosby

• Upvote 1

Hi :smile:

Thanks for the prompt reply Mark and Andy,

The Pmdg 737 Ngx and Concorde X are the only addons I have for the FSX Gold Edition. Apart from them I use ai traffic packages from World of AI.

I will use FSX Gold only for flying the Concorde X while my Pmdg 737 Ngx will be using FSX Steam. 

I read about the dual install on the steam forum and came across this thread, please have a look at this link:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/0/530646080866011815/

A small query, does World of AI work on FSX Steam?.

Regards

Dreamaero :smile:

I read about the dual install on the steam forum and came across this thread, please have a look at this link:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/0/530646080866011815/

A small query, does World of AI work on FSX Steam?.

Hi,

I think you will face issues if you had FSX boxed version, then uninstalled it and then loaded Steam Edition then followed it yet another install of the boxed version of FSX. If you leave the FSX boxed version installed, which it appears is what you want to do, then just install Steam Edition.

For the WOAI installer, it appears it will work with Steam Ed providing you point the WOAI installer to the right drive/path for Steam Edition. If you have any doubts, post a question on their Support forum.

Regards,

Spoiler

Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge

Hi Mark,

Currently my FSX boxed is installed on the F: Drive which is exclusively reserved for FSX. Its 195 GB in size. What I plan to do is, shift the boxed version to my H: drive which is 650 GB, yes...its too big :smile: , but FSX boxed wont be alone here, it will be sharing this drive with all my other games as I intend to only use it for Concorde X, I wont be installing any other addons to it.

On the G drive (195GB) I will install my FSX Steam... but I have read on the steam forum that FSX Steam Edition requires continues internet connection to play. Is this the requirement for free flight as well.

I think it must for multiplayer sessions am I right.

I posted a message to Flightsim labs about the Concorde X steam release, they are busy with the A320X and Concorde X is currently under beta testing :-)

Regards

Hi,

If you're planning to move FSX and FSX:SE around, I would just make sure that you install the boxed version first then proceed with Steam Edition.

Re internet-free connection with FSX:SE, this should be possible once your account and updates are established, so it would require synchronization one-time. After that you should be able to run FSX:SE without being online. More info can be found here on Steam's offline mode here:-

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-agcb-2555

Regards,

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

Mark Aldridge

For FSX, I see it this way.  MicroSoft no longer supports and is certainly not going to put further development into FSX, to them it is dead.  Dovetail Games has put a little development into FSX and may do even more.  Add to that the decision by Aeroplane Heaven to market their new FSX Piper Aztec as a Steam only product.  It might not be long before other developers follow suit.  The other alternative is P3D.

• Upvote 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Personally, I would install either one or the other sim on my system exclusively, since keeping both versions can lead to complications when it comes to installing add-ons. If you remove FSX boxed and all of its traces and then install FSX-SE, it will be handled as "FSX" by the registry, and most add-ons will find it easily. Having a dual-install, on the other hand, will give the Steam Edition the label "FSX-SE", and some add-ons might have problems with it during the installation or operation process.

If you have the patience to wait for ConcordeX v1.3 (which will be Steam compatible), I would go ahead and clean up you system from FSX boxed to make room for the Steam edition (if you want). If you need to fly the Concorde over the next weeks, then I would keep the boxed version and install the Steam edition after the update will be released.

• Upvote 1

Hi all,

I too believe that a single sim setup will be more beneficial.

I came across this wonderful pdf which gives an insight into the detailed installation process of FSX Steam as a single sim setup or dual sim setup. It also outlines what consequences may arise of having dual sim on the machine.

The pdf too recommends a single sim setup. I have gone through it and have understood that a single sim setup would be more convenient in the short and long term.

You can find the pdf here: 

http://fsrijnmond.airworld.nl/FSX%20Steam%20se/How%20To%20Install%20FSX-Steam%20Edition.pdf

The future lies in steam and many developers might discontinue their addon development for FSX Gold.

In a day or two I will start the fsx steam installation process on my system. I will revert back soon.

One small query, This is the first time I will be using fsx steam, so how many frames per second can I expect on steam, will I have to tweak it or is it already enhanced.

Will it be able to handle addons like, 

FS2Crew RAAS Professional,

A2A Accu Feel,

Active Sky Next,

Rex 4 Texture Direct,

PMDG 737 Ngx (Steam Compatible)

Concorde X (When it becomes steam compatible in the future)

My system is:

Intel Core i7 4790 @ 3.60 Ghz

16 GB RAM

Nvidia Geforce GT 610 2 GB

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Regards

Dreamaero

You've asked the "impossible question." The only possible answer is that you should expect at least slightly better performance than FSX (Disk) gave you on that system.

My advice is to run FSX:SE "virgin" for some weeks until you are satisfied that it is stable, before you start shoveling extra stuff into it to gum up the works... :dance:

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi,

Merry Christmas to everyone. :smile: 

I would like to thank all of you for all the help and  advice you have provided me for installing FSX Steam.

I successfully installed FSX Steam on my system and I am quite satisfied by the performance. It installed like a breeze and automatically installed all the simconnects and the legacy installers.

I have not yet installed all the addons that I bought today from steam, I will install them one by one and check with FSX performance,

I have kept the Scenery settings to extreme right with Billinear filter and Anti aliasing disabled I have also kept the level of detail slider to large (Extreme right) and checked marked DX10 Preview. But I have encountered a small problem I cannot see the Ai traffics parked at the gates till I go near them, the same happens with jetways. This is the case when I switch to VIrtual Cockpit. But when I switch to external view I can see the ai traffics and jetways even when I am far away from them. This never happened in the FSX boxed.

Has this happened to anyone of you. I need help on this.

Also should I use Scenery Config Editor with FSX Steam. Is it compatible with Steam. I am asking this because I used it with the boxed edition so I want to know if there is a need for this with FSX Steam as well.

Merry Christmas to all of you and Thank You once again

Happy Flying,

Hi,

Not sure I can answer your question on the AI traffic. I have not observed this with Steam Edition.

As for SCE, yes, providing you have the latest version downloaded/installed, you will be able to set up your scenery profiles for Steam Edition.Just make sure you go to Preferences to select the correct version of the sim (FSX SE). Once done use it as you did before. This makes sure you save your profile to the correct scenery.cfg file in the correct location.

Regards,

Spoiler

Mark Aldridge