Sign in to follow this  
Constantine

Aircraft Rwy Alignment Problem

Hi  not sure if this is the forum for this issue so applogies if its not.

I have FS2004 with IFly B747-400  only when I fly in to Gatwick (UK2000) loc/gs captured approach height/spd set correctly coming in on ILS 110.90 /079 the aircraft flies in to the rwy almost diagonally before struggling to land, approach spdVREF are set correctly and landing with autopilot engaged.

Just wonder what could be causing this I have had 3 flights 1 successful 2 the same problem.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated

Thank You

Richard

Crosswind ? 

Failing that, you have aileron or rudder trim setup incorrectly and the A/P is compensating on approach by crabbing the aircraft.

Peter Schluter

Thank you, those components are okay, strangely most airports are fine but 2 in particular Stockholm & Rome I end up having to do a go around and they land on centre line, Rome however does at times cause the Rudder Tail panel to move and stay to the left and I end up having to use joystick axis to centre the panel agan and reset defaults so I'm not sure if this is more a computer glitch than an approach preparatiojn omission, pretty frustrating though after a long flight, anyway thank you once again for your insights

Richard

If the rudder is sticking to the left, you could check your joystick/keyboard assignments for sticking buttons/keys.

Colin B

Thanks Colin strangely only on certain airports Ie stockholm & Rome do I get this, on approach i've checked the ILS/CRS tried different runways yet the plane captures the LOC and sometimes GS but misses the rwy badly coming in from the sides  I'm using a joystick butons on joystick I use only for reversers so I don't think the Joystick/buttons are at fault the rudder remains okay on all other flights and plane enters the centre line so i'm stumped as to what to do, i've don a reinstall of the airports too which hasn't changed anything   urrggghhhh!!! so frustrating !

Anyway thanks Colin for your kind input

Richard

Maybe it's the approaches you are flying into Stockholm & Rome, you need to be at least 10nm away from the runway when capturing the localizer in a heavy jet.

Again flying to a different airport today the aircraft is losing the intercept heading I get back on hdg the LOC GS capture and the plane approaches diagonally to the runway at the correct approach height and VREF  the ILS Freq/Crs are correct so I have no idea  any suggestions much appreciated

Richard

the ILS Freq/Crs are correct

Are they correct for the scenery you are using ?  For example ESSA RWY 01L default scenery has a magnetic heading of 007  but modern charts/navdata will use 005, not that that would make much of a difference.

I asked earlier if you had a crosswind ?

Have you mistakenly set your aircraft to display true headings ? Have you replaced a magdec file in your sim ?

Can you confirm that you get the same problem repeatedly at the same runway or does it sometimes fly without a crab?

Peter Schluter

There is a file called magdec.bgl which determines magnetic variation for the default airports. (I don't remember where it is but I think scenery/generic - you can find it using search)  Some addons use updated magnetic variation and this can cause problems as they can be quite different to the default data.

Try moving the magdec.bgl file to a special folder in your addon library and make sure it is the last folder listed in your scenery list. That will make sure that it overrides any addon airports you may be using. This wouldn't explain something that is peculiar to iFly as it would effect every aircraft you fly, but it might explain why it's happening at some specific airports. The autopilot might be able to manage a small error but perhaps at those airports the difference between the modified and default variation is too great for it to handle...

Make sure that you place the magdec.bgl file in a scenery folder within the one you create - do not have a texture folder in that file...

Whenever you add any new airports, just make sure you move your special folder down the list so it is the highest number. (Unless you use AES, then it has to be the one BEFORE AES, which will not work unless it is the last on the list)

Even if this doesn't solve your problem it's still worth doing IMO as it will avoid any future problems with magnetic variation....

Cheers

Ian