Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

FSX setup detects old install on removed disc - can't continue.

Hi Folks,

Problem - I'm trying to run "setup" and FSX detects old version on failed disk - only two options are "Remove" or "Repair" - - - both of which fail since the disk has been gone for a long time... I'm sure it's a key in the registry - I used an "uninstaller" and FSX vanished from the list of installed products - but some residual key must be making the setup routine think FSX is still installed...

Anyone know the key I need to remove to allow "setup" to run a new install ???

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Scott -

Remove this entry:  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0]

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Hi Doug,

Thanks so much - I spent hours on this last night... I'll give it a shot...

;)

Regards,

Scott

Hi Doug,

Although my app "Revo Uninstaller" missed the key you posted - I removed it - no joy - still have the same Repair/Remove choices I had initially - both of which still fail...

Uggh...

:)

Regards,

Scott 

Hi Doug,

Although my app "Revo Uninstaller" missed the key you posted - I removed it - no joy - still have the same Repair/Remove choices I had initially - both of which still fail...

Uggh...

Regards,

Scott 

There are many "hidden folders" that need to be removed too.  I would suggest following the guide at the following link which tells you where all of the files are located and what has to be removed - http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx .  The FSX uninstallers will not remove these folders.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

Thanks for responding - I went through the procedure - while the FSX program files were long gone (disk failed - couldn't run uninstaller) - I did remove the residual files in the "USER" directory... Sadly - again - no joy... I'm still dead in the water... My money is still on a registry key...

:smile: 

Regards,
Scott

Have you run a registry cleaner?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Hi Charlie,

Good idea as well - I installed CCleaner - ran it - found a bunch more FSX keys - deleted them - no joy - same issue...

Seems FSX is harder to remove than Norton...

Regards,
Scott

Hi Folks,

Just one more thought in the mix - FSX was installed when my box was Win7x64 - after the disk failed and I removed it - the same box was upgraded to  Win10... I'm not sure if that adds a complication...

Appreciate the help - really...

Regards,
Scott

Oops. I think I read the original post incorrectly. How many disc drives do you have? I assumed that the failed disc containing FSX was not the boot drive. If, in fact, both FSX and the OS were on the same drive it couldn't possibly be a Registry problem that you're seeing as there is now no "old" Registry.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Hi Doug,

No - I think you had it right - the OS was on my C: drive - the drive with the old FSX install that failed was the D: drive...

Thanks again...

Regards,

Scott

Otay.....

Hi Scott, surely you found and nuked HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\10.0?

There's also a convoluted thread over at fsdeveloper on all the possible registry keys:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/registry-keys-fsx-fsx-se-p3dv1-p3dv2.432633/

Jim

There is a program that Microsoft put out sometime ago which removes all traces of FSX. I don't remember which one exactly but it worked for me.  I think it was call the Microsoft Licensing System Reset tool or something similar.  Try googling that.

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

Hi Folks,

I'll look for that key and try the other stuff as well... What a royal PITA - thanks so much for all the help...

Regards,

Scott

Hi Folks,

The key Jim mentioned - was present - deleted same...

Read through the linked post and made sure I had removed what was stated there...

Found the Microsoft Licensing tool as it relates to FSX - downloaded - installed - ran - - - it failed... I don't think it supports Win10...

Nothing works - argh...

As ludicrous as it may sound - it looks like I have to wipe my hard drive to install FSX ??? How absurd... Gotta love MS...

I truly appreciate all the help that was offered...

:wink:

Regards,
Scott