Sign in to follow this  
IonicRipper

Newish to FSX, looking for first payware

I'm no stranger to flight simulators (long time DCS and BMS player) but I'm newish to FSX. I've had it for a while and now I'm looking to buy my first payware plane. Only problem is (if you can really call it a problem) there is so much to choose from I don't know which one to pick!

I'm looking for an airliner with decent systems modeling and flight model. I dont need every system perfectly modeled or the most accurate flight model but I'd like those to be fairly realistic within the normal flight envelop of the plane. As long as it all feels and looks realistic while doing a simple flight from A to B, I'm happy. I'd also prefer a planes with FMS or equivalent.

Now for the difficult part; The budget... First of all I know you get what you pay for, specially for FSX and that accurate systems modeling and cheap definitely don't go together but I would like to keep it around or under $40 if at all possible. It is my first payware after all and don't want to go overboard.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and I will look into every option you guys propose. 

Hi

It might be above your budget but so far there is nothing better than PMDG planes.

Actually PMDG is the reason why I'm starting to get interested in airliners but unfortunately they are above what I'm willing to pay for at first. Maybe in the near future...

Hi

It might be above your budget but so far there is nothing better than PMDG planes.

I agree on this.

PMDG all the way. Not cheap but level of detail is as close as you can get to the real thing.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

Man, are you are going to get a LOT of different recommendations!  Understandable, because everyone has a different opinion and favorite.

As someone who's been in FS for over 30 years and works both both sides of the aisle (flight development/testing with numerous developers and also being a flight sim enthusiast), there is one clear choice given the conditions you set.

AEROSOFT AIRBUS A320/A321 series.

This is a High End aircraft model (Intermediate Simulator) that fits precisely in your budget. You can also learn to fly this aircraft pretty quickly given that you're already familiar with flying.  Even better, this aircraft is Shared Cockpit capable, so you can learn the aircraft (and things like VATSIM) sitting right next to someone - and there is NO better or FASTER way to learn!  In fact, my group routinely takes new pilots to this aircraft and we have them flying the aircraft by themselves in three to four flights.  There are also plenty of video tutorials and other helpful aides.

Comparatively speaking this terrific aircraft is very frame rate friendly, and it runs very well on lower and higher end i5 and i7 processors. In fact, we have someone on the team running the aircraft on a Pentium Dual Core at 2.3GHz! 

Another great benefit is that there is absolutely no charge should you wish to use the aircraft in P3D, you don't have to pay for downloads a year from now.

I am part of the Beta Team for this aircraft and the upcoming A330, and I've come to fully appreciate the excellent work that has gone into this gem.  PM me should you want some additional information.

Finally - welcome to the world of Tubeliners!  I share your passion for Combat Sims, but I think you'll love the challenge of FSX Commercial, especially if you get involved in VATSIM.

Best of luck!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Hello, there.

Take a look at the Embraer E-jets V 2  Embraer 175 and 195 in this link.   I enjoy flying them.  and their Call! feature is the best!  Take a look at some videos, read some reviews and make your desition.

If you are interested, on PC aviator, they are right now a 24 USD... which is a great bargain.  Fits your budget, and there is some money left for another addon  :wink:

Just my 2 cents!

If you want a challenge in flying than there is no other choice than the majestic q400

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Thanks for the replies guys, the Majestic and Airbus on definitely on my wishlist but are just a bit over my budget. The Airbus is quite close but forgot to mention the exchange rate with Canadian dollar isnt doing so good right now. 

And thanks for the suggestion Nick, I will definitely look into that!

Your '40 dollar restriction' is a hard one   :rolleyes:

I've been browsing on my favorite planes, and I also found a B757.  price?  25 USD.  Go to this Link for more info.

As others have mentioned, there are more, but more expensive:  PMDG, iFly, Captainsim, Aerosoft, Majestic, and others.

Before I buy, I like to check reviews.  Mutley Hangar, and Avsim are my 2 sources.  Their reviews are very well done IMHO.  you can check their pages for more detailed opinions.

Good luck in your search... and let us know what plane you choose!

I-Ripper,

I worked the Majestic Dash 8 Q400 Pilot and Professional for just over 5 years prior to release, and there is no doubt about it - it's one of the top three aircraft ever produced for Desktop Flight Sim.  Another one of the three is the Leonardo Maddog MD-80 (it was actually made for FS9 and ported into FSX).  The price for the MD-80 recently dropped to about $32 U.S.

Despite the Majestic Dash 8 being one of my top two favorite aircraft (and I love flying her as much as ever despite having well over 7000 hours flying her), I didn't recommend the Dash because 1) it's not a jet airliner and I believed that's what you were most looking for, 2) it's a totally different type of flying than a jet airliner, and 3) it's for a very specific type of flights therefore someone limited to purchasing one aircraft would be unnecessarily restricted in the Dash 8 where the Aerosoft AIrbus would allow you tremendous flexibly in flight selection, thus  giving you the most bang for your buck..I forgot to mention an integrated weather radar, GPWS/terrain map and, well, like I said it's a true Intermediate level simulator!

I didn't recommend the Leonardo Maddog MD-80 because today it is STILL the deepest systems intensive simulation likely ever created for desktop simulation (it's also Shared Cockpit capable). Also, the graphics are dated (but so is the real aircraft's flight deck) though the graphics aren't horrible - just not up to the standards of aicraft being released today/ Even though it's well within your price range, the level of detail and systems fidelity also makes it an aircraft most people wouldn't want to start off with.

I own and have experience with most every intermediate to advanced level FSX based aircraft, and evaluating aircraft and other FS software for developers daily I'd still have to recommend the Aerosoft Airbus over the others, especially given your being new to FSX, having a desire to fly commercial aircraft right off the bat. I'd recommend the AS Airbus with or even without the budgetary constraints - especially due to the aircraft being Shared Cockpit capable allowing you to greatly compress the learning curve and get more enjoyment sooner from your purchase. I don't think it's an aircraft that I will ever outgrow, making it a real winner in the stable.

I sincerely hope you think this useful, and I wish you a Happy Holiday season and very Happy Flight my friend!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

What is your budget on acquired skill level since you started flying? Based on your stated level of experience I would suggest you target something that is a good step up for your learning curve, but not something that will tend to overwhelm you. Learning to fly is a ladder system. Take it a step at a time and it will be more enriching.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I'd suggest Aerosofts Airbus.A320/A321.for your first airliner payware.

Nice eye candy...reasonably easy to fly..Systems modelled well (I think)...once you think you are convinced this is your thing, graduate to PMDG 777.

Good luck

16220285176_44cfdb8c29_k.jpg

:)

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Try the QualityWings 757. It's everything you're looking for... complex enough that you won't be bored but not overly detailed and complex. Every other addon mentioned would be pushing your $40 budget (except for the EJets), but the 757 is an absolute steal for $19 at simmarket:http://secure.simmarket.com/qualitywings-simulations-the-ultimate-757-collection.phtml I've had mine for years and love it. It's my favorite plane after the NGX and 777.