Sign in to follow this  
IonicRipper

Newish to FSX, looking for first payware

I'll second the Quality Wings recommendation, either their 757 collection (http://www.qualitywingssim.com/757.html) or their BAe 146/Avro 80/100 collection (http://www.qualitywingssim.com/146.html). Both are within your budget even at full price, and this is a great time for bargains.

They're also a good match for this requirement: "I'm looking for an airliner with decent systems modeling and flight model. I don't need every system perfectly modeled or the most accurate flight model but I'd like those to be fairly realistic within the normal flight envelop of the plane"  This more or less describes the QW philosophy.

They both have FMS and systems to manage, but don't get into the same depth as say, the PMDG 737 or the Majestic Q400. I do have the Q400, and I would recommend putting that on your to-buy list, though, for when you can afford it. Both are also generally well-regarded by the FSX community.  Also, the complexity of the default FSX tubeliners is minimal; they're effectively big Cessnas, so I certainly wouldn't recommend going straight from that to a study-sim like the NGX or Q400. Of the 757 and 146, I'd say the 146 goes a bit deeper in terms of systems...and it has bags of personality.  :smile:

The Airbus Extended wouldn't be the worst choice you could make either.

I think the smartest thing to do right now would be to wait until Tuesday to see how much I could get the Airbus at pcaviator.com but the QW 757 actually looks very interesting as an alternative. Until then I got the "freemium" 757 from Just Flight and its surprisingly good for being freeware. And I'm definitely liking the older(ish) vide of the 757.

Just for kicks, what is the oldest commercial plane you can think of that has FMS in FSX?

If you plan to buy a FMS-capable plane, don't forget to keep some bucks to update your navigation database.

In this link you will find info on suscription and products.  Keep in mind that to update your FMS, you just need the AIRAC (or FMS DATA in the webpage).  They are also offereing charts, but you decide what to buy.

This update is not expensive, but it is and extra money you must have to maintain the level of realism.  When you but a plane with FMS it usually comes with a very old AIRAC... before you buy, ask for what AIRAC is installed.  The AIRAC info comes in a format like:  

15 is for the year 2015

01 is for the number of FMS data release.  This link will explain better.

I hope this info to be helpful.   And reading other's posts... the Airbus from Aerosoft looks interesting!

I heard of that but I guess I forgot... Can you elaborate a little more on this? What would happen if I didn't update?

Well... nothing bad happens.

As you know, fixes, nav aids and other information for navigation can and will change.  For example, in the airport where I work, we used to have a fix called ZARZA.  Thanks to the ICAO recomendations, Colombian Aeronautical Authority had to change its name to IRIGI.

So... what happens when you don't update, that if you look for the route in current charts, IRIGI will appear.  When you start programming your route in your FMS, IRIGI won't be in the FMS database.  And you will not be able to program it.  But you can fly VOR to VOR skipping the fixes in between.  That's what many people do.  Or you can buy one or two AIRACS a year... 

Altho I have heard that if you fly online on VATSIM you must have a fully updated data base.  As I said... I heard once on a forum.  If you fly on VATSIM, make sure if my info is correct.  I'm sure someone here will correct me if I'm wrong.  IVAO is not that demanding, but having a current database and current charts is a simmer's dream come true!!  LOL   :rolleyes:

Just for kicks, what is the oldest commercial plane you can think of that has FMS in FSX?

The oldest one I can think of would be Just Flight's Lockheed Tristar Professional, which comes with an FMS in some models.

I was just looking at it actually, Holdit. It looks very interesting indeed. I wonder how in depth the FMS is, though...

Is it possible to use a route that uses an older nav cycle when playing offline?

Offline you can fly downside up if you want!!!  LOL   Just kidding   :Big Grin:

What I do with the Embraer195 when I don't have money time to update  :sad:  is to navigate VOR to VOR... and keep in mind distance to know the fixes I'm passing.  Not a big deal.    Or I sometimes disengage FMS and fly VOR to VOR using autopilot and navigation skills... DME and current charts tell me my position.  It's just  a matter of how real you want your simming to be.  

So, to answer your question:  YES.  you can use older database to navigate.  It's just that the database will be of 4 years back in time.  Fixes and VORs may have been moved or the names changed.  But to start, absolutely.  

I was just looking at it actually, Holdit. It looks very interesting indeed. I wonder how in depth the FMS is, though...

I'm afraid I can't help you with that; it's one of my hangar queens at the moment. Nothing to do with the aircraft itself, I just have a habit of buying too many when they're on special offer. I'll get around to it at some point.

Here are two reviews that might help:

http://www.avsim.com/index.php/_/pri-news/review-just-flight-l-1011-professional-r2863

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?13928-Review-Just-Flight-Lockheed-L-1011-TriStar

This thread too is probably worth a look. Note post #11: http://www.avsim.com/topic/463208-1011-tristar-captainsim-vs-just-flight/

Can anyone comment on the depth of the systems of the QW 757? 

How does it compare to the JF freemium 757 (if anyone tried it)?

One thing I forgot to think of (and mention for that matter) is if the QW 757 or AS Airbus addons were actually supported on FSX SE?

(Sorry for double post, seems i couldn't edit my last message.)

Can anyone comment on the depth of the systems of the QW 757? 

How does it compare to the JF freemium 757 (if anyone tried it)?

The Freemium is a default plane that looks like a 757, nothing more The systems aren't in depth at all. The QW 757, on the other hand, supports LNAV, VNAV, and has an autopilot system and FMS that's just like the real 757. Some switches are not modeled though, not every mistake will have consequences (eg you can start the engines with the air conditioning system on I think) and there is an 'easy' panel mode you can switch to. 

One thing I forgot to think of (and mention for that matter) is if the QW 757 or AS Airbus addons were actually supported on FSX SE?

(Sorry for double post, seems i couldn't edit my last message.)

Both are supported in FSX and FSX:SE. Both can be installed into P3D (and both work fine), but QW does not provide official support for this.

I didn't think the freemium 757 was that bad compared to the vanilla airliners actually... It has an FMS where you can program a route and let the AP fly. It even autolands! The vanilla 737 for example doesnt even have FMS. Its a good alternative for someone you wants to try out flying an airliner but not ready yet to spend money on this yet, i think.