Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Well, count me into the v3.0 'club'...is the water warm?

Update for P3D should be out very soon  :wink:

I dont think they release on weekends so I would look at sometime next week

Rich Sennett

Wow...does Rex 4 Direct really clean up the look of the water....much better....whew....and now I have animation and waves!

• Upvote 1

Thanks Michael...but curiosity is just killing me as i type this...as  you can just delete it...and then reapply your license to v3.1...I'm going to go for it..but only will mess with the sim itself, until v3.1 shows up.  I have room on my v2.4 Velociraptor hard drive, but for a dedicated installation...perhaps I might get another Velop down the road.  It would be great though, if I could install on my WD 4TB USB 3.1 drive...but I guess that rotation speed and USB hub throughput could be a problem to smooth FPS...but...I dunno...I have never installed a flight sim to an outboard drive. Has anybody, reading this?  Is it doable? 

Hi Mitch, Yes, I had P3DV2.4 on its own drive (F:) with a Samsung 250GB SSD. I since have moved  v2.4 to my C: drive and will install v3.1 on my F drive SSD when it comes out. (soon I hope) Hey, thanks for all the questions you have answered for me about X Plane. My DVD copy is suppose to arrive between Dec29th - Jan 9th 2016. I think it is comming from the UK. I have a lot to learn on X Plane platform, however the free (Donations) scenery software is absolutly outstanding!!

Regards

Lamar Wright

Well...my first impressions, as viewed with v2.4 as a base.

P3D v3.0.  I like it!

Very smooth animation, even with ORBX Global and PNW and KFHR installed.  Smooth, stutter-free right down to 18 FPS, while I can maintain with my normal (high/full max) v2.4 settings, FPS between 30-80 range.  

There is definitely a performance pick up, in going from v2.4, and I suppose v2.5 to v3.0.  I just need to tweak the look via the HDR section, and REX 4 Direct is a MUST HAVE, to give you believable water and wave animation.  Just point v2.4 to your v3.0 folder, and everything from REX 4 Direct will install. 

I won't be seeking a refund, for v3.0 and beyond in my books, is a 'keeper'.......and will start to transfer all my Orbx to v3.0, and delete v2.4.

The main recommendation that I can offer those that have not dropped the coin on v3.0...is that you WILL pick up a very noticeable gain in flight animation performance...it IS smoother than any previous version...and perhaps, that alone is the needed incentive to drop the coin for this version.

Cheers,

Mitch

Wow...does Rex 4 Direct really clean up the look of the water....much better....whew....and now I have animation and waves!

Which wave theme did you select? My water is frozen as ice. And I tried numerous suggestions.

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Which wave theme did you select? My water is frozen as ice. And I tried numerous suggestions.

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

I use 'Glitter', and it works great...looks great...am quite happy. I am using High as my setting, with Bath engaged.

Thanks, didn't try this one yet, but I am afraid it's something in my (and some other people's) general setup. Tried high and bathymetry already.

Not worth to go into more detail here, we already had a thread at the LM forum.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Thanks, didn't try this one yet, but I am afraid it's something in my (and some other people's) general setup. Tried high and bathymetry already.

Not worth to go into more detail here, we already had a thread at the LM forum.

Kind regards, Michael

Well hopefully v3.1 will address issues. I ran v2.4 and then v3.0 with the same REX water color/wave animation, and they are practically the same. I agree with a lot of users though, that FSX in DX10 mode with Steve's Fixer program, still is the best virtual water out there. In the FSX to P3D translation, something was lost...but having said that, P3D water can be lived with.

This sounds really, really nice!

So with version 3 there's not a single thing you need to modify or add to prepar3d.cfg for best results?

That's right.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

That's right.

Well, guess it's time to treat myself with a Christmas gift :wink:

Richard Åsberg

Well, guess it's time to treat myself with a Christmas gift :wink:

You will find a smoother animation experience in general, but I think there are visual quality issues, below the A.A. quality of the later v2.x series.  I didn't like v3.0's visuals...and hope v3.1 will be better.  Some textures in v3.0 were outright grainy, and out-of-focus. Especially any text, seemed to be quire blurry.

Ok, that's too bad but let's hope 3.1 will be better and with the refund policy it feels safe to give it a try at least.

Richard Åsberg

Ok, that's too bad but let's hope 3.1 will be better and with the refund policy it feels safe to give it a try at least.

Oh sure...I'd get it...and you can see for yourself...keep, or refund.  I have 60 days as well.  I did delete v3.0 off of my system this morning, and I'm going to wait for further comments regarding v3.1 before I download and reinstall v3.x

I just came off of a flight in Orbx S.C. with both FSX and P3D v2.4...and they are clear...and gorgeous to behold.  For my week with P3D v3.0, I had loaded in Orbx Global, PNW, and Friday Harbor.  I flew around that region quite a bit...doing a v2.4 and v3.0 comparison.  Hand's down, v2.4 was graphically superior...color, clarity, texture composition,...the same for FSX.  

There IS a good FPS and animation increase between v2.4 and v3.0, and that is a hard fact.  I obviously very much appreciated that talking point!  Like I said, no knee-jerk reaction....I'll sit in the bush, over v3.1 and wait until I have about a week left for my refund time envelope to consider keeping the v3.x series.

Happy Holidays!

Cheers,

Ses

Yes, I found 2.5 cleaner and sharper as I mentioned earlier.  3.0 was "blurry" and foggy looking no matter whether I had HDR on or off. 

Well...I'm starting to wonder if it's even worth the hassle installing version 3.0 after these comments. I wasn't aware version 3 is so bad in this aspect versus 2.x

Richard Åsberg