Sign in to follow this  
ALF1

Posting and Credentials

I am not about to suggest redoing the forum rules, but lately I see too much misleading information in some threads. I call it that because in a recent thread regarding V1 speed (speedbrake deployment on RTO), rules and SOPs seem to be reinvented by some posters. That is serious business. I know we are talking about the sim, but sometimes things are talked about as in real life.

Some people I can tell are real life pro's, offering very valuable and accurate information. And this information is often challenged or contradicted by other people that really make me question their real life credentials to write with such authority.

Personally I have my commercial certificate with instrument and multiengine ratings. I am not an ATP and am not Boeing 737NG type rated. I may have infringed on the above and forgive me for that. I will try not to go above my abilities.

It would be good for the sake of the readers to know who is who and what credentials they posess, so their input can be valued accordingly.

It would be good for the sake of the readers to know who is who and what credentials they posess, so their input can be valued accordingly.

Except I know some ATPs who are complete dolts, and some people who have no credentials who are a fountain of knowledge. Resting on hours and credentials, unfortunately, does us little good. It's not like we're going to maintain a database of who has what credential, and we're not going to ask people to post who they work for. Without specificity like that - as I'm sure you've seen - people can claim they fly for an airline, even when they don't.

Sometimes it's best for people to step in when they see something incorrect. Keep in mind, though, that a lot of aviation isn't right or wrong - it's simply different ways of doing the same thing. SWA didn't use VNAV for the longest time. Wrong? No. Different from just about everyone else? Yeah.

Regarding your V1/RTO thread, I can't think of a legal requirement (rule) to do anything other than follow the SOP. In the end, that thread is really splitting hairs more than anything else.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

I am not about to suggest redoing the forum rules, but lately I see too much misleading information in some threads. I call it that because in a recent thread regarding V1 speed (speedbrake deployment on RTO), rules and SOPs seem to be reinvented by some posters. That is serious business. I know we are talking about the sim, but sometimes things are talked about as in real life.

Some people I can tell are real life pro's, offering very valuable and accurate information. And this information is often challenged or contradicted by other people that really make me question their real life credentials to write with such authority.

Personally I have my commercial certificate with instrument and multiengine ratings. I am not an ATP and am not Boeing 737NG type rated. I may have infringed on the above and forgive me for that. I will try not to go above my abilities.

Unfortunately, Alberto, you make an outstanding observation here. As an ATP rated pilot, with over 40 years flying internationally, I have found that even moderators in this forum seem to enjoy calling folks idiots, crazy, insane, bizarre, etc. And, it doesn't do anyone any good.

If you have a point of view that is different from theirs, all of a sudden you are shut down. Moreover, from moderators that are no more than either sim pilots or private pilots posing as being more than they really are. Pretending to know more than they really know. Get into a conversation concerning an issue with them and it doesn't take long to determine their actual experience level. Especially when they can't understand an explanation.

When you try to get some moderators to address their credentials, they won't let you know. That says a lot.

What a shame.

Personally, while I enjoy grown-up conversations about topics, it doesn't truly matter whether or not some moderator doesn't like what is being said and shuts down a topic. It proves a very valid point. They can't intelligently discuss the subject so they just close the topic.

Glad you brought this up.

Cheers,

Jim Wilkerson

Unfortunately, Alberto, you make an outstanding observation here. As an ATP rated pilot, with over 40 years flying internationally, I have found that even moderators in this forum seem to enjoy calling folks idiots, crazy, insane, bizarre, etc. And, it doesn't do anyone any good.

...and this kinda proves my point, because there's no way for anyone to verify your claim here.

Kyle Rodgers

If we are asked to post our real names in the forum, then our certificate number is easily attainable and verifiable. I don't see what the point would be for anyone to lie about it. This is the first board that has asked me to post my real name. It is OK, at first I thought it was for security reasons aviation being what it is, then I learned better that it is for piracy verification purposes. That is OK too. It could be a voluntary thing, those omitting it you'd have to wonder about. The Pilots flying for a certain airline that I have seen so far I don't doubt them one bit. Guys like Joe, Spin, Andrew etc.

Then again you are so right about the scholars and their wealth of knowledge. Oh but there is no substitute for experience.

...and this kinda proves my point, because there's no way for anyone to verify your claim here.

Any person can have their RW aviation experience verified. Any one who has been in RW aviation performing commercial operations would know this.

Access to an international database of pilots for the purposes of satisfying background checks required by controlling authorities makes verification a simple process.

But, in the Avsim forums, if Alberto claims to have a Commercial Certificate with Instrument and Multi-Engine Ratings, I personally don't have any reason not to believe him.

Much as I believe you that you perform intersection departures in a Cessna 172 as you have claimed.

Still, it is amazing what can be found out about ANY person, Kyle.

Cheers,

Jim

If we are asked to post our real names in the forum, then our certificate number is easily attainable and verifiable. I don't see what the point would be for anyone to lie about it. This is the first board that has asked me to post my real name. It is OK, at first I thought it was for security reasons aviation being what it is, then I learned better that it is for piracy verification purposes. That is OK too. It could be a voluntary thing, those omitting it you'd have to wonder about. The Pilots flying for a certain airline that I have seen so far I don't doubt them one bit. Guys like Joe, Spin, Andrew etc.

Then again you are so right about the scholars and their wealth of knowledge. Oh but there is no substitute for experience.

Which forum is the real name regulation supposed to be in?????. I post in the P3D forum hear on Avsim, and I would say the majority of posts that I see the poster either doesn't use a full name, or any name at all. Is this a rule that is enforced at the whim of the moderators?  Right above this post is an example. I just looked at the P3D forum, and the first 5 posts I glanced  at, not one of them had a full name, and some, no name at all. I think everyone should have to do it, or it should be totally voluntary. Years ago I got in a discussion on another forum that wanted real names used, and then next thing that happened, I started getting harassed on the telephone from some psycho forum member. Had to change my phone number. 

Any person can have their RW aviation experience verified. Any one who has been in RW aviation would know this.

Access to an international database of pilots for the purposes of satisfying background checks required by controlling authorities makes verification a simple process.

It is amazing what can be found out about ANY person, Kyle.

Cheers,

Jim

Not true if your medical expired. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Any person can have their RW aviation experience verified. Any one who has been in RW aviation performing commercial operations would know this.

You don't need to be in commercial operations to know that. You do, however, need some sort of identifying information. There are multiple Kyle Rodgers, and multiple Jim Wilkersons, I imagine, and without that identifying information, it's rather tough to pin that person down as the one making the claim.

Which forum is the real name regulation supposed to be in?????. I post in the P3D forum hear on Avsim, and I would say the majority of posts that I see the poster either doesn't use a full name, or any name at all. Is this a rule that is enforced at the whim of the moderators?  Right above this post is an example. I just looked at the P3D forum, and the first 5 posts I glanced  at, not one of them had a full name, and some, no name at all. I think everyone should have to do it, or it should be totally voluntary. Years ago I got in a discussion on another forum that wanted real names used, and then next thing that happened, I started getting harassed on the telephone from some psycho forum member. Had to change my phone number. 

Ours. This one here. I don't know of others.

In any case, this discussion really has no place here in a sim forum.

Kyle Rodgers