Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Tornados...anyone encountered one in P3D?

Have been watching a very interesting National Geographic program tonight about tornados and came to think of P3D and if these kind of powerful weather phenomena exists in P3D...anyone experienced one?

If they do exist in P3D it would be very interesting to find out how your aircraft would react to one. I guess IRL the aircraft would be tossed around like crazy, I wonder if same thing would happen in P3D...

Richard Åsberg

ASN does not simulate tornadoes, so I suspect that none of the other weather injectors do either.

ASN simulates hurricane but no addon weather engine for P3D/FSX simulate tornados either graphically or meteorologically. There was an addon for FS9 to put some graphically generated tornadoes in the sim but it was kind of hokey looking.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Ok, no need to keep looking for any tornados in P3D then.

Would have been very cool though, maybe in P3Dv6.5 :wink:

Richard Åsberg

Did a search for tornados and ASN but guess I didn't search good enough :wink:

Thanks!

Richard Åsberg

What type  of  plane  were  you thinking of  flying  in a tornado?

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Not any particular one, just came to think of what would happen if an aircraft was caught in one after watching that program on TV.

Considering the strength in that kind of weather conditions I wouldn't want to be in that aircraft!

Richard Åsberg

I guess what would happen to an aircraft would be the same that happens to everthing else caught in a tornado. The acceleration and rotation forces plus the alternating high speed air currents would just tear it apart.

This can happen in a simple thunderstorm if you get caught between the up- and downdrafts. This cost the life of a glider pilot at our home airport back when I was little. His plane was just ripped in two pieces when he thought he could race the thunderstorm back to the airfield instead of landing in a field (or whatever he was doing that close to a storm cloud).

LORBY-SI

Wow, that's tragic!

Yes well. Every aircraft, big or small, is supposed to stay away from heavy weather. That is why all those weather radars, constant METAR reports for every leg of a trip and situational awareness are so important.

It would be possible to implement a Tornado sim as an addon. But there AFAIK is no real data about how an aircraft would behave apart from crashing or being torn to pieces, so it would be very hard to simulate "accurately" - it would probably just end up being an elaborate crash sim. The visual depiction of a twister with particle effects is probably doable too, but it would really hurt FPS big time. What is currently not possible is depicting the aircrafts disintegration in mid air, as the simulator does not allow taking apart sim objects at runtime. One would need a specially designed AC model for that (basically an assembly of simobjects controlled by an external app to stay together, thus forming the airplane - very clunky and probably unreliable).

LORBY-SI

Yeah, when you think about it I realize having tornados in the sim would be of little use other than the visual effect.

Richard Åsberg

I know this thread is a bit old, but it seems appropriate: we had a tornado yesterdy at LOWW, immediately adjacent to the airport. Since this CAN and DOES happen anywhere, anytime, it obviously is senseful to also simulate it in the flightsimulator. It's obviously not about flying THROUGH a tornado, but close to one that suddenly developed - you see it, you experience the added precipitation and hail, and you have to deal with the accompanying strong gusts and possibly windshear. So, actually, it does make a lot of sense for weather engines like AS16 to add such a feature - after all, you want to know what your options are as a pilot and train that, should you ever get into that not extremely unlikely situation.

REX is working on it on SkyForce 3D apparently.  I remember seeing the previews on their presentation that came out of FScon2016. 

• Upvote 1

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

From the Sky Force PDF

EGHYduC.jpg

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB