Sign in to follow this  
Elsmoko

Flap speed, VNAV and livery availability questions

To all,

1. Are the flap and gear speed limits that appear on the front VC panel IAS ?

2. I haven't been able to determine how to "arm" VNAV so that a VNAV "Path" type descent will begin automatically when "TD" point is reached.  What I've needed

to do is to use VS control (with AP engaged) until the Flight Path pointer is very near to the FMC computed flight path and then engage VNAV.  Otherwise

I wind up in VNAV "Speed" mode and the T7's descent does not occur on the FMC's flight path.

3. Is there a (Fictional) B777-200LR FedEx livery (freeware, payware or other) anywhere out here in cyber space?

Thank you and Happy Holidays to all,

Ken Boardman

Ken Boardman

1) What else would they be?

2) Over thinking it.

3) Have you looked in the OC? (Also: not fictional)

Kyle Rodgers

I haven't been able to determine how to "arm" VNAV

There could be 50 reasons why VNAV will not arm. Several months ago, I got a message on FMC which said "VNAV UNAVAILABLE". The problem turned out to be that I had not enter an amount for Reserve Fuel on the PERF INIT page. A relatively minor issue like that can prevent arming VNAV. My suggestion would be to do Tutorial 1 if you haven't already and read thru the Introduction Manual.

To all,

1. Are the flap and gear speed limits that appear on the front VC panel IAS ?

2. I haven't been able to determine how to "arm" VNAV so that a VNAV "Path" type descent will begin automatically when "TD" point is reached.  What I've needed

to do is to use VS control (with AP engaged) until the Flight Path pointer is very near to the FMC computed flight path and then engage VNAV.  Otherwise

I wind up in VNAV "Speed" mode and the T7's descent does not occur on the FMC's flight path.

3. Is there a (Fictional) B777-200LR FedEx livery (freeware, payware or other) anywhere out here in cyber space?

Thank you and Happy Holidays to all,

Ken Boardman

Hi, Ken,

Is VNAV active and do you have a lower altitude selected before TOD?  If you still have cruise altitude selected after TOD, w. VNAV active, you need to dial in a lower MCP altitude and then use altitude intervention by clicking on the MCP Altitude knob.

Mike

Edited by Mike777

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Thank you for the insight Kyle and Michael. 

Regarding the B777-200LR FedEx livery,  I didn't find one in the OC. I am using the very nice -200F livery available

in the OC but haven't been able to find a -200LR.  I'm after a -200LR because I fly many long haul flights for my FedEx VA and

sometimes need the Aux tank that the -200LR offers as an option.  I have been using the ANA -200LR livery for these flights, 

but it would be nice to have a FedEx livery....

Mike,

I think that my descent routine is in line with what you suggest, but I'll pay closer attention to it at the end of my current

flight (CYYZ-VHHH)  :smile:

Best to all,

Ken

Ken Boardman

Regarding the B777-200LR FedEx livery,  I didn't find one in the OC. I am using the very nice -200F livery available

in the OC but haven't been able to find a -200LR.  I'm after a -200LR because I fly many long haul flights for my FedEx VA and

sometimes need the Aux tank that the -200LR offers as an option.  I have been using the ANA -200LR livery for these flights, 

Hi, Ken,

The option to add fuel tanks to a 777F is available in the Operations Center for the particular aircraft. It's under "Aircraft Specific Settings." Choose PMDG 777F and then the

specific livery. The settings are listed in the window to the right -- the one you want is under "Displays." Be sure to click "save" after you've made any

changes.

I haven't been involved with a VA, but I would think they would be very realistic as to the ranges of their various aircraft. I don't know if extra tanks are

realistic for any of Fedex's 777Fs.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Mike,

I think that my descent routine is in line with what you suggest, but I'll pay closer attention to it at the end of my current

flight (CYYZ-VHHH)  :smile:

Best to all,

Ken

Hi,

I'm pretty sure Fedex doesn't own any -200LR, only -200F. 

Keep in mind that the range depends on the payloads. If you cannot make it on the fedex long haul flights with full payload, try reducing it.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

See Mike's post. FDX only operates the F, which is pretty much a gutted LR. FedEx, being a cargo outfit, only uses the Freighter. The LR is for people.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi, again,

Did a little research. Fedex says its 777F's maximum range is 5,400 STATUTE (not nautical) miles here:

http://www.fedex.com/us/charters/boeing-777f.html

However I also found this on Flightaware, a flight of 6,575 Statute Miles, so go figure:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/FDX15/history/20151222/0924Z/KMEM/RJAA

Also found these threads here on AVSIM:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/420177-777-with-1-or-3-aux-tanks-which-airlines-purchased-it/?hl=freighter

http://www.avsim.com/topic/402556-15mar13-let-the-previews-begin/

It appears to me that the 777F doesn't come with aux fuel tanks (despite their availability in PMDG), and has less range than a 200LR, even one not equipped with

aux tanks. Romain's point is well taken -- if you are not getting the range flown RW by Fedex, you need to reduce cargo. Although you may not notice a dramatic

increase in fuel consumption/hour with more payload at a given altitude, the climb will be slower and your max altitude and ability to step-climb will be reduced.

Duration of climb and cruise altitude (the higher the better) seriously affect fuel consumption.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Hi, again,

Did a little research. Fedex says its 777F's maximum range is 5,400 STATUTE (not nautical) miles here:

http://www.fedex.com/us/charters/boeing-777f.html

However I also found this on Flightaware, a flight of 6,575 Statute Miles, so go figure:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/FDX15/history/20151222/0924Z/KMEM/RJAA

This is why I always remind people that aviation isn't black and white. Those numbers are great for people casually interested in aviation, but don't mean a darned thing to someone who's actually a pilot. Payload will crush range.

Kyle Rodgers

I took a 777F nonstop Memphis to Bangkok..7827 nm.  My cargo was a brief case full of candy bars....LOL. FDX actually flies this route but stops at PANC Achorage for fuel which allows some payload to come along.

Dan Downs KCRP

I took a 777F nonstop Memphis to Bangkok..7827 nm.  My cargo was a brief case full of candy bars....LOL. FDX actually flies this route but stops at PANC Achorage for fuel which allows some payload to come along.

Those must have been some freaking heavy candy bars to need a 777 freighter. Just think, if you had left them home, it wouldn't be necessary to stop in

Anchorage!

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Mike,

Thank you for the tip.  I added the triple Aux Tank option to the 200F via the OC. 

Best to all,

Ken

Ken Boardman