Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Murmur, THANK YOU!

If users of XP10 today have good reasons to be happy, it is in good part thanks to your Work and Dedication!

Thank You Murmur!

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

For people who don't know, Murmur found the torque bug and posted the solution to the XP devs. It now looks like the fix is in 10.45, and this is great news.

So to Murmur, thank you and amazing work on finding this. XP would not be what it is without the amazing community behind it.

LOL :BigGrin: The ironic thing is that due to (among other things) a shift in interests, I uninstalled all flight simulators from my PC, although I still read the forums.

I also don't have a joystick available right now, so I'm not able to assess the effects of this torque bug fix. I'm very curious to hear the reports of users though, so please report your impressions if you try it! :smile:

As a (partly unrelated) side note, the other day I read an old and long thread on the Rise of Flight forums, about the compromises that are necessary when mapping PC flight controls to the actual movements of the simulated flight surfaces.

The thread was started by one of the developers in response to complaints of "excessive control sensitivity in the pitch axis" on RoF (reminds me of something...). The only important post is the first one, it explains all the issues that there are:

http://riseofflight.com/forum/topic/2564-about-wrong-elevator-position-and-pitch-sensitive/

That thread got me thinking a lot, and also gave me some ideas on what would be the optimal method to map PC controls to simulated flight controls while preserving:

.linearity for positive and negative inputs (at least for moderate inputs)

.stiffening of flight controls (stick-force-speed-gradient and stick-force-per-'g')

.adequate control authority (and adequate maneuvering capability) throughout the normal flight envelope (Vs0 to Vmo or Vne);

All of those three are required by regulations, so it would be important to retain them in a flight simulator. From my conclusions, that could be done even with a simple, non force-feedback joystick.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Cool Murmur great find.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Indeed Murmur,

also followed that discussion, specially because, together with IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad / Moscow and DCS World, Rise of Flight is my other sim...

There has been a long debate on the "wobbling" effect on some IL-2 prop fighters / bombers, and, as expected :-), I was there too :-)))

Reminds me a bit of the long battle for the "torque bug" in X-Plane... 

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

It would be great if RW pilots could tell us if the Torque is OK whenever they can.

I will have to re-install X-Plane 10  to test...

Beware that even the aircraft that come with X-Plane 10 have their geometry sometimes tuned to overcome the old results caused by the "torque bug".

Some of these include a side cant of the vertical stabilizer, or a rudder trim tab setting, that are not in agreement with their real world counterparts, so... care must be taken when making the tests...

Main Simulation Rig:

They also need to solve gyro effect

Indeed, THANK YOU Murmur! Not just for finding the torque problem, but also for your amazing cloud tweaks, and everything else you've done for the X-Plane community. :smile:

Thanks all, but I don't deserve this at all, it's just that Jcomm (like me) is very focused on flight models so it's his main focus.

The real people who deserve a big THANK YOU are all those people who contributed immensely more than me to X-Plane, they're too many to count, the first ones that come to my mind are alpilotx and tonywob, but there are a lot more. So a big thank to them! :smile:

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Very true as well... and indeed I was mostly focusing on the side that means the most to me - flight dynamics.

Of course I do think that many like you Murmur belong to the list of people who made X-Plane 10 the success it is for many users. 

Indeed ApilotX, Tony, the guys from XPFR, PilotBalu, and many many freeware aircraft, airports and scenery developers that I can't name because I simply never downloaded much add-ons for X-Plane 10.  

The author of the NOAA Plugin and the Python interface for instance are also nominates of course, etc...

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Thanks all, but I don't deserve this at all.

You do.

I don't have X-Plane (yet) although I often follow the X-Plane forum and happened to see some of your shots, but I read several posts by you in other threads and I can confirm you are always very competent, informative and to the point. In few words, you'are someone one like me has always to learn from. I would not not tell this in a normal situation, but since someone opened a thread specifically about you...

Kudos for you.