Sign in to follow this  
mosteen

FSX appcrash / terrain.dll at "loading autogen..."

Gents, my FSX crashes when loading. It happens exactly when "Loading terrain data" is finished, and "loading autogen starts". The faulting module is terrain.dll.

Since my last successful flight, I've installed freeware scenery Rovaniemi revisited, ESPA and ENAN. I uninstalled all three, certain one of those was the culprit, but no luck.

Then I rolled back a backup of default scenery, the 0001- and world, still no success. I also tried with an earlier fsx.cfg, still no luck.

I then rebuilt the scenery indexes, facilities, still with the same result. I continued by renamed Addon Scenery, thus starting up with only default scenery, still no luck.

I have a creeping feeling that this has to do with my PC, the only thing I've done since it was working is to upgrade iTunes... No Windows Updates in between.

I will try to restore a complete FSX backup from 24.11, that means all directories and files in all FSX related locations like AppData and so on.

Next step after that would be to roll back a image of my whole PC from 24.11.

Does anyone have a tip on what I should be looking at? Is there a way to log the file that terrain.dll is reading when it hangs?

Cheers,

23.png

According to the AVSIM CTD Guide -

Terrain.dll - Usually indicates high scenery/terrain settings in FSX/P3D, especially Autogen.

When this guide was developed, we searched the Internet and flight simulation forums and this was the solution provided in most cases.

Also it could be a tweak in your FSX.cfg that is not being employed properly for YOUR system. BufferPool and/or AffinityMask tweaks are the biggest culprits. This is another reason why moving your fsx.cfg to another folder and then restarting fsx and letting the config rebuild fixes 98% of all problems. It removes the tweaks and lowers the settings.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim, your brilliant CTD guide is always in hand. The strange thing is that nothing in my setup has been changed, except for the three freeware sceneries, that are now removed. I also copied back a verified working fsx.cfg.

Ah, the conondrums of FSX :)

I will try to rebuild the fsx.cfg, do you know what I will loose from my setup when I do that? I run a networked setup with controllers mapped by FSUIPC.

Also; happy holidays to you Jim!

Cheers,

23.png

By rebuilding your fsx.cfg, it will not affect any of your other addons.  Networking is handled by simconnect and, well, fsuipc has its own initiator file.  Rebuilding the fsx.cfg takes your sim back to when you first installed fsx as far as settings.  I would go in and make sure your monitor resolution is correct as a rebuild usually has an issue with that.  You will have to trust all of the gauges when you start up an addon aircraft again.  You will also need to make sure the highmemfix=1 in the graphics section is put back in.  I would keep your settings at the default until you can find a solution.  If no crashes, then you can start moving the sliders back up slowly. 

Thanks for your kind comments about the guide!

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

That did the trick, don't know why I was so apprehencive about rebuilding fsx.cfg, it went without a hitch.

I did a three hour flight in the PMDG 777 and all good.

Thanks again!

23.png

Good news!  Hope it stays that way! 

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM