You've never heard of the Noctua NH-D15 then?

Trust me, the best air coolers are perfectly capable of competing with closed loop water coolers.

Check this out...

Kraken X61 closed loop cooler overclocked 67.33 degrees.

Noctua NH-D15 air cooler overclocked 69.33 degrees.

Barely anything in it.

Noise levels...

Kraken X61 29 decibels.

NH-D15 24 decibels. Much quieter.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7301/noctua-nh-d15s-style-cpu-cooler-review/index6.html

My new Skylake build will be cooled by the NH-D15S and yes, overclocked too.

My current Ivy Bridge system is cooled by an NH-D14, and yes overclocked too.

Agreed. I used to have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo on my 2500k, and it would reach 73 degrees C at 4.2ghz.... I now have a Noctua NH-D14, and it allowed me to move the OC up to 4.5ghz while rarely seeing over 60 degrees C

Jim Schroeder

i9 9900k @ 5.0ghz | Gigabyte GTX1080ti | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3600 

My personal option is that Skylake is a better overclocker than Haswell , opposite to others first findings.

Have two very good Haswell chips a 4770k and 4670 not find any better 4690k or 4690k.

I always save The best cpu.s for later use

MoBo . The fastest one for sim with single Gpu is the Asus Maximus VIII Impact

Its 100mhz faster than Hero VIII on CPU and 300mhz on the mems.

Agreed. I used to have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo on my 2500k, and it would reach 73 degrees C at 4.2ghz.... I now have a Noctua NH-D14, and it allowed me to move the OC up to 4.5ghz while rarely seeing over 60 degrees C

I opted for the NH-D15S this time. Better RAM clearance, clears the PCIe slot better and just one fan. Incidentally, one fan only increses temp by two degrees.

All this time we've been running with two fans on our D14/D15's, unnecessarily. makes sense if you think about it. Two fans doesn't increase the velocity of the air that passes through the heat sink, it just increases static pressure slightly.

My personal option is that Skylake is a better overclocker than Haswell , opposite to others first findings.

What sort of frequencies are you getting with Skylake Westman? And voltages?

Appolgies to my bad eng, hope that you understand my point.

Iam a Overclocker with lot of Hadware,the best Haswell a have is a binned 4770k To find this tested a lot of 4770k 40-50 CPUs and 15 4790k.

Its 5ghz stable at 1.32v

My plan was to run this on my sim Pc but i find that a medium good 6700k was a lot faster.

I test my 6700k chips fast take 10minutes , first a test the minimum boot voltage to win7 start at 1.475v

If no boot no more test then decrease vcore in steps 0.025v hope for less than 1.3v

After that a run CB15 with 1.45v to see if it can do 4.9 then 5ghz at same vcore then decrease it 0.025v steps , Done now a have a clue what type of chip a have.

The tests is on a H110 at ambient temp 22-23c

Today a have 3pcs 6700k tested 12 this is the best ones

1. 5ghz 1.30v win7 1.40v CB15

2. 5ghz 1.35v win7 1.42v CB15

3. 5ghz 1.375v Win7 1.45v CB15

Retired the Hero VIII from bench have a Extreme VIII and Impact VIII for that.

My sim spec is nr3 6700k H110cooled , Hero VIII , mem gskill Ripjaws V 3200 @ 3600 cl16 1.42v

SSD samsung .

I run the CPU @ 4.9ghz 1.4v and uncore @ 4.8 with HT enabled i see temps 57-62C in fsx

Or with HT disabled @ 5ghz with same voltages and slightly lower temps 55-60C

This outpeform a Golden 4770k @5ghz 1.35v 2800mhz cl10 mems and the cracy thing Its runs cooler,

The 4770k is 63-68c @1.35v and Its Delidded.

a 6700k @ 1.4v not delidded runs cooler it was a suprize ( can be the less voltage regulators inside the CPU on Skylake )

nr 1-2 is delidded now, but the tests Done undelidded.

Appolgies to my bad eng, hope that you understand my point.

Iam a Overclocker with lot of Hadware,the best Haswell a have is a binned 4770k To find this tested a lot of 4770k 40-50 CPUs and 15 4790k.

Its 5ghz stable at 1.32v

My plan was to run this on my sim Pc but i find that a medium good 6700k was a lot faster.

I test my 6700k chips fast take 10minutes , first a test the minimum boot voltage to win7 start at 1.475v

If no boot no more test then decrease vcore in steps 0.025v hope for less than 1.3v

After that a run CB15 with 1.45v to see if it can do 4.9 then 5ghz at same vcore then decrease it 0.025v steps , Done now a have a clue what type of chip a have.

The tests is on a H110 at ambient temp 22-23c

Today a have 3pcs 6700k tested 12 this is the best ones

1. 5ghz 1.30v win7 1.40v CB15

2. 5ghz 1.35v win7 1.42v CB15

3. 5ghz 1.375v Win7 1.45v CB15

Retired the Hero VIII from bench have a Extreme VIII and Impact VIII for that.

My sim spec is nr3 6700k H110cooled , Hero VIII , mem gskill Ripjaws V 3200 @ 3600 cl16 1.42v

SSD samsung .

I run the CPU @ 4.9ghz 1.4v and uncore @ 4.8 with HT enabled i see temps 57-62C in fsx

Or with HT disabled @ 5ghz with same voltages and slightly lower temps 55-60C

This outpeform a Golden 4770k @5ghz 1.35v 2800mhz cl10 mems and the cracy thing Its runs cooler,

a 6700k @ 1.4v not delidded runs cooler it was a suprize ( can be the less voltage regulators inside the CPU on Skylake )

What's your processor cache on the 4770/4790 @ 5Ghz?

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

With AIO cooler 4500-4600 , normal 400-500mhz lovar than CPU speed on Haswell

Compared to 100 lower on Skylake

With AIO cooler 4500-4600 , normal 400-500mhz lovar than CPU speed on Haswell

Compared to 100 lower on Skylake

That's nice. Best I managed to achieve on 4790K is 4.7 - 1.326 / 4.5 cache - 1.30. FSX temps 55-60

Anything with 4.8 and up I need to go past 1.35 and I just don't feel like going there :D

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

A couple of things that need attention when talking about overclocking are:

* Airflow through the chassi

* Ambient temperature

If you don't have a good exchange of air in your chassi, a good and expensive cooling unit won't be able to perform right, so this is very important.

A positive air pressure (more air blowing in than out, so to speak) also helps with keeping dust away.

And of course the ambient temperature of the room that the computer is in plays a role. This is usually not a problem, but the cooler the better of course.

I had the almost now legendary Thermalright Extreme 120 aircooler for many years and it performed very well, but not as good as my current custom loop water cooling setup.

Building your own custom loop is a lot of fun and the performance can be excellent if you do your research and choose good components.

I cool both my CPU and GPU with a single loop, using two radiators (one 120mm and one 240mm).

The CPU (i5 2500K) at 4.5Ghz goues just above 50C under full load and the GPU (GTX 970 4GB) just above 40C at full load.

The GPU also overclocks to 1500Mhz Core, 8000Mhz Memory, perfectly stable.

I hear what you say regarding the voltage regulators, but Do you think Intel may have done a better job with the Die/IHS interface Westman?

If you don't have a good exchange of air in your chassi, a good and expensive cooling unit won't be able to perform right, so this is very important.

A positive air pressure (more air blowing in than out, so to speak) also helps with keeping dust away.

This is something I've recently converted to. In the past I always favoured negative or balanced airflow. However, I must admit, I'm leaning toward a slight positive pressure these days. In fact my new enclosure is configured that way. Lian Li PC-X510. Three fans in two fans out. Having said that and something many forget when considering airflow, the graphics card also exhausts, as does the PSU, as I have it ingesting air from inside the enclosure. Easy enough for me to reduce the rpm of the uppermost rear fan though to make sure I have a positive pressure enclosure.

I've not configured one of my builds that way before, so the results will be interesting. However, I did some experiments a while ago and found no difference in temps between negative or positive pressure. Less dust ingress is of course my prime motivator.

• Upvote 1

Guest JustanotherPilot

Boy, is this an interesting thread...I've never overclocked because of fear of damaging my components, having said that I use an i7-4790K on asus Z97 gryphon mobo which is set to system turbo giving me 4.3ghz(I know this cpu is capable of a lot more)  with a gigabyte geforce 2gig GTX680 oc. I just finished viewing a youtube video on overclocking GPU's using the EVGA PrecisionX software and am tempted to  get just a bit more from my video card agter viewing this.

After reading post's here I'm sold on the Noctua NH-D15 as opposed to going to liquid for convenience at this stage.

I'm flying in P3D3 and am not really happy with the performance per say, although the visuals are breathtaking, the occasional micro stutters,lagging and low frame rates prompt me to be ever changing my settings to find that elusive 'sweet spot' Hopefully, after reading these posts I will be confident in doing a bit of overclocking to improve performance.

So please keep the posts coming...

What FPS are you getting without overclocking?

Also I don't even think something like a Noctua NH-D15 would even fit in my chassis, plus it lacks of a descent airflow.

Boy, is this an interesting thread...I've never overclocked because of fear of damaging my components.

After reading post's here I'm sold on the Noctua NH-D15 as opposed to going to liquid for convenience at this stage.

So please keep the posts coming...

Just in case you weren't aware, Intel's Performance Tuning Plan is available, it cost me £25 for my 3770K. Intel will warranty your CPU, damage it overclocking and they'll send you a new one.

I would never deride anyone for going the closed loop cooler route, even the experts are divided, with some embracing AIO and others, like JJ the Asus rep, still preferring big tower air coolers.

But for me, given that there's no pump to fail in a couple of years, no possibility of leaks, D15 being quieter and yet still competing favourably with closed loops coolers... easy decision. Check out the D15/D15S reviews and you'll see what I mean. And while you do so, look at noise output. Most of the AIO coolers use high rpm noisy fans, the D15 doesn't. Compare them both with the same high rpm fans any gap is even smaller.

I would recommend the D15S though, the "S" variant has better ram clearance and PCIe clearance and one fan. despite having one fan, it's only two degrees warmer.

Also I don't even think something like a Noctua NH-D15 would even fit in my chassis, plus it lacks of a descent airflow.

That is the one drawback with large tower air coolers. yes they cool great, yes they are quiet... but they are big. they have to be big of course, it's the large surface area that's responsible for their efficiency.

Dimensions are on the Noctua website. I have to say though, no issue for any of the enclosures I've had.

Guest JustanotherPilot

Just in case you weren't aware, Intel's Performance Tuning Plan is available, it cost me £25 for my 3770K. Intel will warranty your CPU, damage it overclocking and they'll send you a new one.

I would never deride anyone for going the closed loop cooler route, even the experts are divided, with some embracing AIO and others, like JJ the Asus rep, still preferring big tower air coolers.

But for me, given that there's no pump to fail in a couple of years, no possibility of leaks, D15 being quieter and yet still competing favourably with closed loops coolers... easy decision. Check out the D15/D15S reviews and you'll see what I mean. And while you do so, look at noise output. Most of the AIO coolers use high rpm noisy fans, the D15 doesn't. Compare them both with the same high rpm fans any gap is even smaller.

I would recommend the D15S though, the "S" variant has better ram clearance and PCIe clearance and one fan. despite having one fan, it's only two degrees warmer.

That is the one drawback with large tower air coolers. yes they cool great, yes they are quiet... but they are big. they have to be big of course, it's the large surface area that's responsible for their efficiency.

Dimensions are on the Noctua website. I have to say though, no issue for any of the enclosures I've had.

thanks for the heads up on the Performance tuning plan, sounds like cheap insurance. I'm disappointed to find out that the D15 won't fit in the space available around my CPU in my case, the height needed is 160mm, if I push it I get 150mm. As an alternative I looked at the Arctic Freezer 13 and Xtreme, which seem to get good performance ratings. Also looking at the Cooler Master Hyper D92. After reading/researching into air cooling, I'm sold. I just don't have the space for liquid/water and in the event of a failure somewhere in the line, the results are catastrophic.