sidfadc

FPS question

Hi guys

i7 4790k 4.0ghz

GTX 970

16GB

Win 7 64 bit

FSX Steam edition

All the usual addons Orbx global, vector, active sky next plus a bunch of payware airports.

I'm running DX 10 fixer using NVIDIA inspector.

I have frames locked at 30FPS. All the usual tweaks through fsx.cfg, can provide more info if necessary.

In the skies I generally get 30 FPS locked. When I'm below 10000 or on the ground at an airport in the VC it can drop as low as 10-15 depending on the airport in use. London EGLL and San Francisco hit the frames hard. In terms of settings i have compromised a lot on the sliders so they arent full right. I have traffic AI OFF and have dropped the autogen slider to sparse which does help a little.

I'm trying to get my FPS above 20FPS on the ground in the VC at demanding airports, any suggestions?

Thanks

Thomas Derbyshire

The only two suggestions I have would be to either turn your autogen and scenery complexity sliders down so that you get higher FPS at low altitudes when coming in to land. Or try running unlimited with no FPS lock. I personally always run unlocked when flying PMDG planes into high density hubs that reduce FPS and my sim runs smoothly like that, but I have to lock FPS when flying aircraft that are less FPS intensive. For example I can fly the NGX or T7 into KLAX, KJFK, or KDFW with high settings and lots of AI and maintain around 25 to 30 FPS when unlocked, but doing so with the FPS locked at 30 would give me 15 to 20 FPS.

It's worth trying and if it doesn't help just go back to locking the FPS.

Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks Sean. I have had some gain in FPS by dropping the autogen and scenery complexity at low altitude but havent tried unlimited frames so I shall give that a go later. One question, I use a custom NVIDIA inspector profile for DX10 Including the 1/2 refresh rate vsync setting, this includes a 30 frame rate lock. Do I need to "turn this off" in addition to choosing unlimited frames within the sim itself?

Many thanks

Thomas Derbyshire

If this is regular FSX, you can try FIBER_TIME_FRACTION tweak. Also do remove frame limit and test if that would not cause other issues, which could include stutters, momentary glitches and blurry ground texture when scenery addons with details beyond stock are involved.

Framerate limiter in NI does not seem to impact performance, nor does it correct the resulting issues from running unlimited, as far as I can tell.

EDIT: Oops...Missed the steam edition part. Better not try that tweak, then!

Thanks Sean. I have had some gain in FPS by dropping the autogen and scenery complexity at low altitude but havent tried unlimited frames so I shall give that a go later. One question, I use a custom NVIDIA inspector profile for DX10 Including the 1/2 refresh rate vsync setting, this includes a 30 frame rate lock. Do I need to "turn this off" in addition to choosing unlimited frames within the sim itself?

One thing that was killing frames for me was the fact that I was using an Inspector profile, but left the AA box checked in the sim - unchecked it and my frame rate jumped.

Kyle Rodgers

Hmmm interesting. I run fiber tweak at .22 and I have AA ticked in the sim. This is setup following the DX10 setup guide.

Thomas Derbyshire

I have AA ticked in the sim.

Untick it.

The DX10 set up guide probably wouldn't be the best source of performance information. It's more concerned about getting a broken DX10 to work, and less concerned about actual performance.

EDIT: Plus, if it doesn't mention the Inspector, then it's likely assuming you're not using it.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks i will certainly give that a go. Is the fiber tweak using the steam edition detrimental to frames?

Thomas Derbyshire

If you overdo it, you will see blurry textures and underdetailed terrain on ground as you fly. Used to have quite some effect on FSX boxed...And no improvement was observed with FSX:SE, at least on my much slower hardware.

Also, try adding

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=116

to your fsx-se.cfg if you have hyperthreading on, or leave it out if you have it off. So far it worked well for me on a quad core with hyperthreading that cannot be turned off.

I was under the impression that DX10 mode in FSX, regardless of whether the Fixer is being used or not, forces you to use FSXs own AA. Anything put in Inspector will be overridden by the application itself, except for Supersampling setting.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

I was under the impression that DX10 mode in FSX, regardless of whether the Fixer is being used or not, forces you to use FSXs own AA. Anything put in Inspector will be overridden by the application itself, except for Supersampling setting.

Could be the case. I've never used DX10 mode in FSX, since it was an incomplete function - fixer or not (as far as I can tell, the fixer is simply a bandage).

Kyle Rodgers

Could be the case. I've never used DX10 mode in FSX, since it was an incomplete function - fixer or not (as far as I can tell, the fixer is simply a bandage).

I use it primarily for the shadows to be honest, and because I can't afford P3D!

I have to hand it to Steve, he's done a good job with the fixer. The shadows look as good as P3D in my opinion.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

I'm using dx 10 fixer from the very beginning and I am surprised you think it's a bandage. What you gain by using it is better graphics, higher fps with more gpu load and in the end most important thing - more VAS headroom which is critical for PMDG. In its current version 99% of issues were easily resolved and with some tweaking you can fix all of them.

I have plenty of different addons and using fsx steam with dx10 I was running some fps checks on everything set to right except autogen (dense), mt2013 with traffic set to 16%, road traffic 10% rest is 0.

The results in 737 ngx with cockpit running in payware aerosoft eddl are average 28-30 fps in non cloudy situation, 24-28 fps in cloudy and 19-25 fps heavy rain and full overcast (I use 3 cloud layers and enhanced overcast in asn ). All of them in most resource hungry interior view and 4x sgssaa applied and 1024 Rex cloud textures. I have not yet played with TML which is set to 4096 by default in steam edition but I'm going to try it today (as far as I know it does not affect aircraft and cockpit so should not impact PMDG ngx).

I have i5 3570k clocked to 4.5 GHz which was significant bump in fps and gtx 970 from evga factory over clocked which runs 100% usage in heavy overcast scenario due to cloud aa.

I noticed that biggest performance killers apart from our resource hungry add ons are:

Internal frame limiter (use nvi instead and set fsx to unlimited)

Ai traffic

Autogen

Clouds when using Rex with asn

4096 and 2048 textures

I'm using dx 10 fixer from the very beginning and I am surprised you think it's a bandage.

It's by its very definition a bandage. DX10 isn't natively part of FSX. Part of it is, which is why it's called "DX10 Preview." From there, anything you do on top of (topically, on the exterior of, externally) the core code of the sim to get it to work is, therefore, a bandage: a fix that does not address the core of a problem.

The only way it wouldn't be a bandage is if ACES were somehow resurrected from the grave and DX10 were handled natively in the sim.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks for all the advice. After going through the documentation again you must have AA enabled in the sim for DX10 compatibility. Turning it off does what you would expect, makes jaggies appear everywhere.

Reading the post from Tomasz thats pretty much the performance im getting. I guess in the back of my mind I was hoping for 30 FPS locked in the VC I have a good spec PC. Simply toggling the autogen slider is the best way to gain fps for me. So ive come to the conclusion that in high density hubs im going to reduce autogen to sparse and reduce road traffic AI from 7% to 0. This gives me between 20 and 30 fps. I have also turned off the frame limiter within FSX which has given me a small boost.

Ive also reduced some settings in ASN like reducing cloud layer and visibility settngs which seems to have helped somewhat as well.

The other gain is to overclock my CPU from 4.0 to well as far as I can go. I only have a mid size case though so cooling is a concern. Still its something i will look into if I must.

Thomas Derbyshire