Sign in to follow this  
LarryImler

Thinking about 4K monitor for Christmas

Hay guys, thinking about getting the 4K monitor from for Christmas. Can you guys recommend one, or is it even worth getting the 4K monitor. I would like to see what you guys think of them, or maybe the guys that already have one what do you think how do you like it?

I purchased the Acer Predator X34 (3400X1400) curved gaming monitor and love it.  It's a little harder on fps than my old 1900X1200 monitor, but the immersion factor is well worth it. 

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

Yeah I think I do,

AS Rock pro MB, 4790 k @4.0

Nividia 980 TI

It should be ok to run a 4K Monitor.

So using a 4K monitor might kill my FPS?

Unlikely I get typical fps of 30 at 4K with the usual complex sceneries, aircraft, fine weather and a 770 4gb gpu - down to 20 in heavy weather. Much much better than I dared to hope for. Now this FSX gold ymmv with p3d or FSX steam.

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Yeah I think I do,

AS Rock pro MB, 4790 k @4.0

Nividia 980 TI

It should be ok to run a 4K Monitor.

So using a 4K monitor might kill my FPS?

Hey Larry,

I just got an LG 55 inch 4k running at 3840x2160 with a 970, runs quite nice and the visual immersion is game-changing (pun intended and in all seriousness).  

I wasn't looking at something this big and was actually shopping for 42"s in fact...but I have a sweetheart that surprised me with this monster for Christmas (yes a bit early but I was working from home the day it was delivered....hard for her to tell me I had to wait until Christmas knowing how much I'd been anticipating it, hehe).  Now that I've gotten used to it (well, not really, still blows me away to see how beautiful it is), I know I can never go back to non-4k.  You can also turn down AA as well to re-coup some performance decrease you might notice at 4k. (I didn't really notice any to be honest, but I run at realistic settings and not maxing out all the sliders)

Anyway, I'm a 4k simmer now, and loving every inch of 4k goodness. 

I have a 4790K as well and with your 980Ti you'll be humming along just fine at 4k.

One warning though... if you like to hit the "V" key to take screenshots of your flight...my pics went from about 8mb to 32mb each!   Holy filesize increase Batman!  :shok:   (very expected, but that was the last thing on my mind when I was hooking up the HDMI cable to it, letting the 970 discover it...then seeing this):

Holy Screen Resolution selections Batman! :LMAO:

UYtTfT.jpg

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

So yeah, thanks for the replies back guys, I'm sold, I'm getting one, 40 in or above. But 1 more question, does it improve antialiasing? For the life of me I cannot get antialiasing right.

Worst case scenario, if you can't get the performance you desire just take it back and get a refund.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

In terms of P3Dv3

Without any doubt 4K televisions are Great ! Bigger is better !! Curved screens are very immersive !!!

6700k@4.8

2 x GTX 970 in SLI

ASUS 28" 4k PB287Q 

Samsung 55" 1080p flat panel

Samsung 78" 4K Curved Screen

Assuming you have already established that your system can handle a 4K display, it is by far one of the best upgrades you can make.  The more important question is...how big do you want to go.

You guys running 4K and not using NI for SGSS, did the 4K get rid of your shimmering?

You guys running 4K and not using NI for SGSS, did the 4K get rid of your shimmering?

great question, I'd like to know that to.

great question, I'd like to know that to.

me too, thats pretty much the only reason why I want to do a new PC build ready for 4K.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

I have MSAA in the settings turned off and no problems.

@Larrylmler: If a 980ti would not be enough for 4k, then what would? :)

I am running on a 970 GTX and framerates are good. Well, I am not seeing 100 fps. But in the air with PMDG 777, ASN, FTX and stuff I get around 40-60 FPS and on heavy addon airports with bad weather and MyTraffic set to 20% around 20-25 fps.

For me that's enough. Go for it!  :smile: