Sign in to follow this  
wipeout01

How may I correctly apply the mixture to the default A36 Bonanza from Carenado?

In any of Your Experiments - did You Check to see what Your RPM was Doing ?? - Believe Me it will Drop off when You Lean too far - along with Great Belching and Backfiring - Enrich-en till it runs Smooth - and You should be OK - Smeeuthe LIke a Pussy Cat - Johnman B)  

You will Also get a rise in CHT (Cylinder Head Temp) as You reach Optimum Mixture - All them Dials and Clocks ?? - Johmman B)

Vic - I still Remember My First Scarf Joint Spar Patch - Sigh - !! Johnman :Doh:

Hi there, I was doing more experiments tonight and when I was leaning the mixture I did not observe any change in the RPM gauge.

I was ascending 3000 ft, RPM were 2700, leaned the mixture a 60% and no change in the RPM gauge.

At 5000 ft, RPM were 2700, leaned the mixture a 50% and I did not see any change in the RPM gauge.

At 7000 ft, I leaned the mixture a 40% and I did not observe any change in the RPM gauge, it was 2700 RPM.

So basically I am having the same doubts:

I don't understand the EGT gauge... Those white lines are increments of 5? 10? The EGT gauge start at zero? or 20? and why that 20ºC quantity in the EGT gauge? That confuse me...

bonanzamixture1_zpsdjsc2uq0.jpg

Moving forward or rearward the Mixture lever I did not change the position of the EGT needle.

So basically also I don't know how to achieve what Jim told me: "25° C rich of peak EGT should be your target"

In fact I don't understand very well that gauge I see 20ºC ? and it start at 20ºC?

What means the first white line? 0?

???

I'm confused about this.

Hey wipeout,

My Suggestion is - Taxi Your Airplane to a Run up Area - The End of the Runway would Be Fine - Set Your Parking Brake - Cram the Throttle Full - and Let'er Run until Your Instruments Stabilize - Monitor Your RPM - Fuel Flow - EGT and CHT - Ease Back on the Prop Lever Until You Hear The Engine Dog Down - Monitor The Gauges Again - and Note any Changes - You will Not See any Immediate change in CHT and EGT - as they take a few seconds to React to what is going on in The Engine - after things Stabilize again - Start Pulling Back on the Mixture until  the Engine Dogs Again - And Monitor Your Gauges - this test will Give You an Idea of Where the Reaction Points are - and what changes You can Expect in Your Instrument Readings - You can Fiddle with it any way You want - and You are Not trying to fly the Air Plane - Maybe Get Your mind Wrapped around what You are trying to do ?? - Merry Christmas - and Have fun !! - Johnman :dirol:

Hi johnman and hi everyone
FIRST: MERRY XMAS TO EVERY ONE AND THANKS FOR BEING SO COOL, giving me all kind of explanations.

Finally, I think I know how to calculate the EGT peak by monitoring the EGT Gauge.

I think it's very simple, you correct me if I am wrong.

1. You apply the gas you want to your engine using the throttle lever..

To calculate the EGT peak and lean correctly your engine:

2. Move rearward the red lever (mixture) slowly... and watch constantly the EGT gauge needle

3. Before it drop... you will see the EGT gauge needle rise a bit... (that's the EGT peak, and I guess that means your engine is leaned correctly)

4. If you continue moving the red lever rearward you will lean the mixture to much and the EGT needle will drop more...

In that case

5. Push forward slowly the red mixture lever until you find the EGT gauge needle rise in its higher position. To find that point you will need to push forward and rearward the red lever, slowly... until you find that high position of the needle (EGT peak), that should mean your engine is leaned correctly.

Is that correct?

I did a demonstrative video here. Could you please take a look? Are just 8 minutes.

VIDEO SHOWING THE EGT PEAK: https://youtu.be/k2meLCaQI7Q

Please, could you confirm me if am I leaning correctly the mixture and calculating well the EGT peak?

Hi...

Also - we can discuss the blue nob when you're ready as well...
:wink:

Regards,
Scott

I'm willing too... in fact I don't know very well how to use the blue lever ????

Hey wipeout,

Spot ON !! - That is Exactly what You want to do !! - If You want to do it with the EGT Gauge then You have to remember that it takes the EGT Gauge a Couple of seconds to Stabilize - Now We are going to add One More Step to Finalize Your Adjustment - Remember that You are Running an Air Cooled Engine - Enrich'en Your Mixture Slightly to Provide Cooling for the Engine - and You are There !! - You're Description above Does Put You at the Most Efficient Mixture Point - but to Lessen Wear and Tear on Engine You allow a Little Extra Fuel to Cool the Engine - Take it from an OLD Retreaded A&P Mechanic !! You should Now be Able to Follow Your Flight Manual for Prop Adjustment - this Will No Doubt Precede Your Mixture Adjustment. - Happy Flying  - Johnman B)    

johnman are you pilot in the real life?

I guess you must be a very experienced pilot, because with your method I've learnt how to calculate the EGT peak very easily !!!

Just another question :P

What is the use of the blue lever?

I really don't know why do I have a blue lever and what is the objective to use it?

Could you explain me what is the use of this blue lever?

I know I can reduce the RPM... but for what reason should I reduce the RPM?

When I am flying, I think I am always 2600 RPM more or less... why should I need to use the blue lever?

Can you explain me with some examples?

Cheers :D

No I'm not - or Never Have been a Pilot in My Life - I have spent Many Years as a Line Maintenance Mechanic Working on Aircraft With Pilots - So I have a Pretty Decent idea what makes them Tick - and Flying and Building Aircraft for the Flight Simms is a way of My Expressing My Love for Aviation in My Retirement - and I am Happy to Help Someone along the way  - if I Can !!

Now the Blue Knob'ed Lever on the Consul - this Lever Controls the amount of Pitch Applied  to the Propeller - Or - the amount of Power Applied to the Propeller -  The more Power Applied to the Propeller - the Faster the Propeller can Move Your Aircraft through the Air - If You are Familiar with the Prop on a Speed Boat - This would be a Similar Application.

With the Prop Lever Full Forward - this Would Be Relative Flat Pitch - and You would really have to Rev the Engine up to move the Aircraft on the Ground and it would only allow the prop to move the aircraft so fast in the air - even at full RPM - Moving the Prop Lever Back - Increases the pitch on the Propeller Allowing it to take a Bigger Bite in the air - Allowing the Prop to turn Slower - but Move the Aircraft through the Air Faster - Sort of like Eating Dinner - if You use tea spoon - You really have to Shovel it in to get fed - How ever if You use a table spoon You can Eat Faster because You are taking Bigger bites.

Now You are going to have to look for a file on Your Computer - It is Located at C:\Program Files(x86)\Lockheed Martin\SimObjects\Airplanes\Carenado Bonanza A36\Bonanza A36 docs.

This Folder - Contains the files with the Information that YOU need to Properly Fly Your Bonanza !!

Now - "The Learning Center" - is Located in the Folder - C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D - in the Files - below the Folders

This is where You learn to fly - Step By Step

I am Assuming that You are a beginner and just Learning to Fly - I would Suggest that You forget The Bonanza for Now - and Pick a Much Simpler Aircraft - Something with a fixed Pitch Prop - and Fixed Gear - this will allow You to Concentrate More on the Basic Techniques and  Routines - get Your Private Pilots License - then get more Advanced and Refine the Basics - You're Choice ! - Enjoy what You are Doing - That's what is Important !!! - Johnman B)      

Hi johnman :D

Thanks a lot for your help.

Aha, I think I used to confuse something, I thought the throttle was the one that did what you describe for the blue lever, that is, applying power to the engine...

So seems to be the black lever only allow the entrance of fuel in the engine, and consequently this is linked to power... however... you can control independently of the gas entrance, the engine power... for that we have the blue lever...

What I don't understand very well is why?

I control the fuel with the black lever... so for what reason do I need the blue lever?

Perhaps you could advice me with some practical examples?

For what you are saying, the blue lever seems to be like the speed gears of a car... however I am a bit confused...

Let's analyze this situation.

I am flying and I have full throttle... then I reduce the RPM moving back the blue lever... of course my aicraft will go more slow and my speed will decrease... but what is the difference between doing this:

Having the black lever full forward and moving back the blue lever to reduce the RPM

- INSTEAD OF -

Moving back the black lever to reduce the speed and having the blue lever full forward

What is the difference between both cases? In both cases I get less power... so why do I need the blue lever?

I've located the manuals but as far as I know they don't talk about the practical uses of the blue lever

Cheers

As for the private pilot license will be a bit difficult, I am broke, as always :P the simulator is the only way I don't have to pay fuel :P

OK - You are catching on - the Black Lever is the Throttle for the Engine - Controlling The Amount of Fuel/Air Mixture into the Engine - the Red Lever Controls The Fuel/Air Ratio of The Mixture - and the Blue Lever is for controlling the Pitch of the Propeller - or Like a Transmission - Low - Drive - and Overdrive - the Propeller Basically Chews its way through the Air - Moving the Airplane Forward.

The Bonanza Doc's Cover Everything I have Explained above - in DETAIL - For this Airplane !!!!!!!

the "Learning Center" will Teach You EVERYTHING You Need to know - about how to Fly the Airplane - It even Offers You a Course on Becoming a Private "Flight Simulator" Pilot - It DON"T cost NO Money - Just READ the Lessons and Fly the Airplane - on Your Desktop - Sorry but You have to do that Yourself !

- Johnman :cool: 

Heck, in some of the a/c I used to fly, if the termites ever let go the wings would fall off. (PT-19)

Vic

Vic,

As a "yoot", before I got into computers and flight sim, I worked offshore oil supply, and I forget the number of cracked diesel manifolds which I repaired with chewing gum and duct tape in heavy seas yet am still here to joke about it. :wink:

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,

Clayton

With the Prop Lever Full Forward - this Would Be Relative Flat Pitch - and You would really have to Rev the Engine up to move the Aircraft on the Ground and it would only allow the prop to move the aircraft so fast in the air - even at full RPM - Moving the Prop Lever Back - Increases the pitch on the Propeller Allowing it to take a Bigger Bite in the air - Allowing the Prop to turn Slower - but Move the Aircraft through the Air Faster - Sort of like Eating Dinner - if You use tea spoon - You really have to Shovel it in to get fed - How ever if You use a table spoon You can Eat Faster because You are taking Bigger bites.

Kind of like a manual transmission, but different.  For freeway speeds in a car, we shift to lower gear. However, for the fastest speeds in an airplane, the prop lever will be fully forward, or just slightly back. This is to allow the engine to work at it's highest horsepower rating (which lowers with altitude). Engine RPM & Horsepower at directly related.  Difference is, the prop is not running as flat as pitch, as it does for takeoff. 

For a short course blue knob, just takeoff with the blue knob full forward. It can be pulled back a bit on the climb if desired. In cruise, pull the knob to desired rpm, and just leave it. If you're going to climb, push it forward, and then add some throttle, if you have some left. As you descend to land, pull back on the throttle, and just leave the blue knob at the cruise setting. You'll want the knob full forward on final descent, but don't do it, when rpms are still high, because it will act just like throwing a car into low gear at highway speeds. The engine will over rev, and you'll be thrown towards the windscreen. Just wait until rpms are lower on final. If you don't push the knob forward, and do a touch and go, it will feel like a car in higher gear, when you start to move. Like a slug. You'll instantly realize what's going on, and push the knob forward on the go-around takeoff roll.

The blue knob is beneficial, because fixed pitch props are a compromise between takeoff & cruise performance. A fixed pitch will never reach full takeoff rpm, unless it's pitched with a too fine blade angle. If that's the case, it will never hit a decent cruise speed without going red line rpm. The constant speed solves both issues.

edit: Note, I am a pilot, although I'm done flying.  Owned an airplane with a constant speed prop, and installed them as well. 

Nice post. I am learning a lot.

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |