Sign in to follow this  
silviustro

P3D V3 SimObjects too dark at night

Hi everyone! I have been a fan of FSX for quite some time and i recently decided to give P3D V3 a go. So far so good, everything looks much better than in FSX and it even runs much faster.

I do have a problem tho, I am not sure if I am really getting the entire eye-candy that I should get, because I do see videos on youtube of people who managed to make the entire sim look almost perfect.

Right now I'm having one particular problem I have seen in other threads for P3D V2 and V2.5, basically, SimObjects are just too dark at night, you almost can't see them, there's just a black silhouette where the aircraft or simobject is supposed to be.

Allow me to illustrate.

error.png

error2.png

Notice also how the concrete is a light yellow color, this, as far as I know, is not normal at all.

I would also like to point out that I have installed REX4, ORBX Vector and the airports you see are FSDreamTeam KIAH and Airsoft London Heathrow respectively. The concrete being yellow might be a problem not with the simulator itself, but with the airport.

I have all settings turned up to max and quite a beast of a computer. I have also messed with the Prepar3D.cfg file to turn up the exposure and tweak the HDR, but the only thing it does is make everything bright, including the sky and the airport itself.

In short, I'd like to make my sim look like this at night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTzfAOWFRLE

And like this at day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI9lN9pCJr4 (I am aware that SweetFX might be the thing making the video look so realistic).

Here are some photos also of my sim during the day:

noerror.png

P3_D_Realism.png

Thanks! Any help would be appreciated! :)

Too much tweaking.

There is a "Lighting" menu that allows you to "brighten" or "darken" P3D. It is the first line in that menu.

Pierre

Pierre

Hi Pierre, thanks for your answer.

I did eventually fix the problem with the airport concrete itself, it was a problem with the addon not with P3D, just as I suspected. This link can help anyone with that problem: http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/93351-heathrow-night-lighting/

But still, the aircraft being too dark problem is still there, as I previously said, If i increase the brightness, the entire scene gets brighter, and even then, the aircraft isn't as bright.

The contrast between the aircraft and the airport just looks.... odd.

error3.png

It's normal behavior. Sadly even Prepar3D does not have true point source lighting yet. In other words, there are no true light sources within the sim. What you see is what we have until we ever get a true dynamic lighting model.

Thanks for your answer molleh. That raises the question... how did the guy in the video get those graphics at night....? weird....

I have no idea what video you're referencing, but chances are it's just the right level of HDR versus time of day and geographic location as well as moonlight to make it look a little more natural.

Did anyone ever identify a solution to this? I am having the same problem with the sim objects and GSX being to dark.