Sign in to follow this  
metalmike

Learjet 35 - Looking for more info than what's provided

I just bought and installed the Lear yesterday. Did a quick flight with information available in the manual and checklist/reference sheets, but am looking for a little bit more info on fuel burn at different power settings, weights, etc. in order to do more proper fuel planning. Is this included somewhere?

I'm happy with the purchase, but I am a little turned off by the lack of proper tutorials. There are a couple on youtube, but they're not too informative, and don't provide any information beyond what we already get in text. All I find is a video explaining the engine start up.

Yes, that came with the original download. It explains how to operate everything pretty well in the VC and what everything basically does. But it doesn't reveal performance specs - service ceiling, fuel burn, proper speeds, procedures, and so on. The checklists and reference are for the most part just from the default FSX Learjet. For such a sophisticated addon, I expected a little more precise information. I've been able to find some info via googling. 

Yes, that came with the original download. It explains how to operate everything pretty well in the VC and what everything basically does. But it doesn't reveal performance specs - service ceiling, fuel burn, proper speeds, procedures, and so on. The checklists and reference are for the most part just from the default FSX Learjet. For such a sophisticated addon, I expected a little more precise information. I've been able to find some info via googling. 

Michael,

It is a nice visual presentation of what a Lear 35 looks like but it is not a simulation of the actual aircraft systems operation and performance. In the real aircraft we used fuel burns of 1500 lbs 1st hour, 1200 2nd, 1100 3rd and 1000 4th hour which was close enough for rough fuel planning without resorting to performance charts for flights above FL370. I used those numbers for planning with the FAA DUATS system and would consistently be within 200 lbs of actual fuel burn over trips up to 4:45 flight time.The reality is even if you obtain a flight manual for reference it is not a realistic model of systems or performance but again close enough for for the intended casual purposes.There are three developers that I am aware of with versions of various models of a Lear that are essentially all in the same boat.

Gary Stewart

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll just have to "guesstimate" things a bit.

It is a nice visual presentation of what a Lear 35 looks like but it is not a simulation of the actual aircraft systems operation and performance. 

I understand. It's just a little disappointing to hear this considering the product description says: "With custom coding we have accurate systems down to the smallest details." 

Oh well, still a nice addon that I'm enjoying so far.

Gary, since you happen to know a thing or two about this plane, is it common to take it up to FL 370-410, distance permitting, even at heavier weights?

Direct climb to 370-410 is not a problem with standard ISA temperature up max takeoff weight.If you need the range you will end up at 430-450 when your weight gets down to 14000 to maybe 15000 to operate efficiently.I enjoy the model in P3D as it reminds me of the good old days, for most simmers if you have not been there you would never know the difference.Like any sim product you can make a default B737 like in FSX or you can do a PMDG version.There is a market for both products, keeping my fingers crossed for the latter.

Gary Stewart

I just bought and installed the Lear yesterday. Did a quick flight with information available in the manual and checklist/reference sheets, but am looking for a little bit more info on fuel burn at different power settings, weights, etc. in order to do more proper fuel planning. Is this included somewhere?

I'm happy with the purchase, but I am a little turned off by the lack of proper tutorials. There are a couple on youtube, but they're not too informative, and don't provide any information beyond what we already get in text. All I find is a video explaining the engine start up.

Hello, Michael,

Here is a link to some very good Lear 35 material:      http://airplanedriver.net/study/lr30.htm

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jim Wilkerson

• Upvote 1

Michael,

http://www.scribd.com/doc/156446580/Flight-Safety-Learjet-30-Series-Pilot-Training-Manual-Volume-2-decryped

Jim

CW46, on 23 Dec 2015 - 06:16 AM, said:

Direct climb to 370-410 is not a problem with standard ISA temperature up max takeoff weight.If you need the range you will end up at 430-450 when your weight gets down to 14000 to maybe 15000 to operate efficiently.I enjoy the model in P3D as it reminds me of the good old days, for most simmers if you have not been there you would never know the difference.Like any sim product you can make a default B737 like in FSX or you can do a PMDG version.There is a market for both products, keeping my fingers crossed for the latter.

Well, I hope so too. The Flysim Lear 35A has so far proved to be a fine representation of the aircraft in FSX/P3D (actually IMHO much better than the other ones out there), but there are stil small issues with the systems modeling.

Being a big fan of "PMDG" quality "realistic" addons, I can only hope that Flysimware don't stop where they are but continue to fix and enhance their Lear 35's systems, especially since we sorely lack good bizjets in the flight simulation world that are more than just eyecandy.

Judging from the original pilot manual, the Lear's systems don't seem to be too complex, so getting them right within the constraints of a flight simulation should not be something out of the question, but of course that is up to the developers to decide.

I am currently running version 2.4 on FSX SP2, and issues that I've run across so far are:

- pressurization system:

static cabin rate indicator pegged at 0fpm at all times

cabin rate selector does nothing

- electrical system

static volt and ampere indications, don't react to battery switches, inverter switches or system electrical load

- altimeter disagreement on STD settings (29.92 vs 29.91 on backup altimeter)

altimeter consistently showing selected alt minus 20ft when leveled off in cruise, e. g. 40980 instead of 41000 at STD pressure

Guys like you, CW46, can certainly provide much more valuable real-world input.

• Upvote 1

Dave P. Woycek

Well, I was wong on the electrical part. I apologize. How could I not see this. My bad. The good folks at Flysimware did model some changes in the indicators. I can see a small amp indication with engines and/or generator switches off and e. g. avionics and lights on, thus indicating battery discharge. When the engines come on and the generators are turned on, amps go back to zero. Also, I missed the reaction to the inverter switches. All fine so far.

Nice!

Dave P. Woycek

This aircraft is being constantly tweaked by the creators and that's a great thing. it's getting constantly better - it's pretty darn good already.  I'm pretty happy with this now and look forward to further improvements.

Dave

This aircraft is being constantly tweaked by the creators and that's a great thing. it's getting constantly better - it's pretty darn good already.  I'm pretty happy with this now and look forward to further improvements.

Dave

Absolutely what I think too.

Dave P. Woycek