Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

NGX VC Cockpit texture issue

Hi Guys - can you tell me if this is normal - doubt it - this is the only bird I am seeing with this checkerboard texture problem - running 2048 x 2048 textures - P3D V3 - thanks

Oh how can I turn off co pilot mfds - cant find it in fmc

3028mtj.jpg

Rich Sennett

think this  has been mentioned   before,  known  issue   what happens  when your  view  back

http://www.avsim.com/topic/475839-annoying-squares-in-displays/?hl=%2Bdots#entry3305975

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Hi Guys - can you tell me if this is normal - doubt it - this is the only bird I am seeing with this checkerboard texture problem - running 2048 x 2048 textures - P3D V3 - thanks

See Peter's link, but this is also affected by AA, filtering, and so on (makes it more or less obvious).

Oh how can I turn off co pilot mfds - cant find it in fmc

MENU > PMDG SETUP > PERFORMANCE > F/O DISPLAYS IN VC > OFF

Kyle Rodgers

See Peter's link, but this is also affected by AA, filtering, and so on (makes it more or less obvious).

MENU > PMDG SETUP > PERFORMANCE > F/O DISPLAYS IN VC > OFF

Thanks again Buddy :)

Rich Sennett

I'm new to both P3D and PMDG. Having bought the 737NGX this was one of the first things I noticed on that aircraft. I'm not talking about the moiré effect on the displays (actually, I can live with that as adjusting the display brightness helps) but only the grid pattern on the grey metal panels' textures which is incredibly annoying on night-time flights (which, flying online by the real clock, happens a lot). The pattern shows whenever the two light knobs behind the yoke (background and AFDS flood) are used, even in combination with daylight. When using just the dome lights (background & AFDS flood are off) at night, that pattern is not visible.

My first guess was that it might be caused by a bug in HDR rendering (as is common for some issues in X-Plane) so I tried different graphics settings: Changing the HDR sliders, disabling HDR, disabling anti-aliasing, disabling VC mipmapping. Sadly, the panels still looked the same.

I understand that PMDG felt the need to blend two textures together to accomplish fake lighting for performance reasons on low-end PCs but this actually feels like a major defect on a 90$ product in 2015, using a 200$ simulator. It would have been okay back when PCs had reduced color palettes (it actually looks like a dithering pattern for a 256 color palette to me) but today, with 32 bit resolution and rather powerful video cards, this should no longer be happening! I didn't notice such quality degradation with night-lighting on any default aircraft in P3D or the Majestic Dash 8, nor in other simulators, so why is it (still) there on the PMDG?

@PMDG: Please either fix that texture or give us actual 3D lights instead of 2D texture hacks. I feel really disappointed having spent 90$ for an aircraft whose cockpit looks like the product has been released back in the 90s thanks to a fault in (presumably) one overlay texture. I had already seen plenty videos featuring the 737 NGX on YouTube before I bought it and the 737 even was one of the main reasons why I chose to buy P3D. However, that degradation was never visible; I guess I have been fooled by video compression... I also wanted to buy the 777 in the long-term but now I will surely stay clear until the issue has been fixed on the 737 - I don't want to risk spending another 135$ (!) just to see the same bad texturing all over again (and in case that issue is not present on the 777, then why do we have it on the 737?). I really expected higher graphics quality for the 3D cockpit (otherwise the aircraft is really nice, but having to see that dithering pattern whenever I look at any display or the MCP at night-time somewhat ruins it for me).

Or maybe it's just me but I usually turn up panel lights during departure & approach instead of using the dome light. Not sure if it should all stay off in the real-world but using a simulator without a chance of your eyes adjusting to the light situation like in the real world I usually need a bit of light in the cockpit to be able to see everything. So, unfortunately, I see that annoying pattern all the time.

Edit: Also, have a close look at how the lights blend into the shadows, above clock & PFD: http://www.energiequant.de/images/foren/pmdg737-lights/2015-12-28_18-22-20-449.png This really looks more like some sort of color palette dithering issue than just moiré (which would be bad enough, given it makes the metal panels look like they are made of rough draft quality plastic).

Daniel Neugebauer

• Upvote 2

Anyone know if there is a mod / texture replacement to make this lighting issue a little less... obvious?

Edit: Also, have a close look at how the lights blend into the shadows, above clock & PFD: http://www.energiequ...8-22-20-449.png This really looks more like some sort of color palette dithering issue than just moiré (which would be bad enough, given it makes the metal panels look like they are made of rough draft quality plastic).

Wow, you must have the panel floods all the way up!  A pilot would never using that much, the preferred amount of panel flood is just enough to see the panels.  Be sure you use the instrument lighting to see lettering and instrumentation, not flood lighting.  The instrument lighting in real world is often the only variable, adjusted for brighter or darker external environments.

Dan Downs KCRP

Wow, you must have the panel floods all the way up!

That was just for demonstration purpose - I don't usually turn it that much up but the issue is apparent even on smaller "steps".

Anyone know if there is a mod / texture replacement to make this lighting issue a little less... obvious?

There is. But I'm not sure discussing it won't violate AVSIM policies... :rolleyes:

Check the website of the developer who sells the expensive Airbus; they've also developed a hack that adds custom light sources. May spontaneously stop working on any P3D update though. I'll send you a PM.

Same issue for me but no answer from developers.

Cant remeber exactly but saw this problem with Carenado also and figured out it was having HDR on in P3D which is probably whats going on - turn HDR off and see if that resolves it if so your stuck with the problem if you want to use hdr

Rich Sennett

No way. All settings changed and checked and nothing new. But thanks anyway.

Are you saying you tried HDR off ? and problem is still there

Rich Sennett

Yes. Antialiasing, FXAA, HDR, Resolution, all as far as I know

Sorry I was no help - P3D not installed so thought I would throw the HDR idea out there

Rich Sennett

Sorry I was no help - P3D not installed so thought I would throw the HDR idea out there

Don't worry, thanks anyway.