Hi, my names Aaron, I've had my PC that I had frys built for about 2 years and lately I've been getting really bad frames, like 8-12, i figured it was time to upgrade something I was wandering what would be the the best component to upgrade to get better frames? Here's my current system. If you need more info on one of the components I can get you it.

Motherboard----Asus M5A97 LE R2.0, Patriot Memory 16 GB 2x8GM DDR3, System type-----64-bit operating system, Processors----AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core black edition.

Storage: WD Black Desktop Internal Hard Disk 1 TB.

Graphics: Display adapter type----NVIDIA Geforce GTX 660, Total available graphics memory----4095 MB, Dedicated graphics memory----2048 MB, Dedicated system memory----0 MB, Shared system memory------2048 MB

It depends on your budget to be honest. If you let us know what that is we can advise.

You should definitely switch to Intel. I have the parts ready to build an Intel Skylake system. 6700K. For graphics, EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified. RAM, 16gb DDR4, GSkill Ripjaw V.

So a that Intel processor would be the best option for the first stage of my upgrades? That probably you help the frames any but I'd be a good start? As for my budget it I'm still in the researching phase but trying to stay under 600 but I could stretch that a bit. Also if I got a new Intel processor would I have to get a new motherboard?

600, I presume that's US Dollars. In which case it is very limited.

You have an AMD CPU, so yes, it would necessitate a new motherboard.

Flightsim is CPU biased, so CPU power is very important. Games on the other hand are more about the graphics card.

So cpu a good CPUs will help me out a lot, you said the Intel Skylake system. 6700K, is a good choice?do you have any suggestion on a good motherboard? And yeah 600 US, but if I'll be that limited then I may have to spend more.

I went for...

Intel 6700K

Asus Z170-A

16gb DDR4 GSkill Ripjaw v

Similar to what I will be building except I've got 8gb HyperX DDR4 :)

Alaister Kay

An i5 6600k would be a very good choice as well, and could save a decent amount of $

Jim Schroeder

i9 9900k @ 5.0ghz | Gigabyte GTX1080ti | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3600 

Going to either the 6700k or 6600k from your AMD will feel like going from a Chevrolet Spark to a Bugatti Veyron

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

Going to either the 6700k or 6600k from your AMD will feel like going from a Chevrolet Spark to a Bugatti Veyron

Haha. Well that sounds nice.i will hopefully get this portion of my upgrade donesometime next year.

Would I also have to get different ram or could I use the ones I have?

Yes, it will be DDR4 that you will need

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

So basically if I replace the processor I'll have to replace the motherboard and ram to?

I went for...

Intel 6700K

Asus Z170-A

16gb DDR4 GSkill Ripjaw v

I had that exact combination in mind myself.

What overclock did you get out of it (if you did overclock)?

Thanks,

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

So basically if I replace the processor I'll have to replace the motherboard and ram to?

Yup. 

UKV6427

I had that exact combination in mind myself.

What overclock did you get out of it (if you did overclock)?

Thanks,

gb.

Hi,

I can't tell you I'm afraid. I have all the parts except the monitor. Will be ordering the monitor soon hopefully. Hope to build in a couple of weeks.

From everything I've seen, you should expect between 4.6 and 4.8 for the 6700K, dependant on the silicone lottery, your cooling etc.

I usually overclock manually, but by all accounts Asus 5 way optimisation is quite good with Skylake. Lots of options, frequency limit, voltage limit or you can set a temperature limit. So no issue with overclocking too far. Auto rules seem pretty good.

:smile: