Sign in to follow this  
kryten

STD pressure button

What should happen when I press the STD pressure button? I would have thought that it means that the autopilot uses STD pressure to calculate altitude but it does not. Pressing the button has no affect. As an example, I took off from a high pressure area (1032hPa) and when I passed the TA I pressed the STD button. I climbed to cruise altitude given by ATC (40,000 ft) but ATC was not happy with me. It was only when I pressed the STD button again and manually reset the pressure to 1013 (and 40,000 ft attained again) that ATC was happy. It seems that the autopilot was still using 1032. Does a pilot have to manually reset the pressure when passing TA in a real aircraft?

Hi there,

When you press the STD button you should see "STD" appear on the PFD (instead of 1032) and the altimeter tape will scroll to the new indicated altitude.

Which seat are you flying from -- left or right? If you are in the right hand seat, bear in mind that under normal circumstances the PMDG 747 uses the Captain's altimeter to drive the autoflight system, so if you only reset the FO's altimeter there would be no effect.

Otherwise I've never noticed the issue you're describing: pressing the STD button should be sufficient, both in the sim and in real life. Did STD definitely appear in green on the PFD when you pressed the button?

Minor technical point -- generally the primary altimeters are set to standard as soon as you have been cleared to a Flight Level (and are above acceleration altitude), rather than waiting until TA: the standby would then be set to 1013 once above MSA and TA. Likewise on the way down, the standby would be set to airfield QNH prior to Top of Descent, and the primaries set to QNH when cleared to an altitude.

Hope that helps!

Pressing the button has no affect. As an example, I took off from a high pressure area (1032hPa) and when I passed the TA I pressed the STD button.

Sounds like you went to press the button but the eyepoint changed, so the mouse "grabbed" the edge instead of "pressing" the middle. The result was changing the altimeter by 0.01, and not STD. Always check to ensure, as Simon mentioned, that STD is displayed on the PFD.

Full names in the forum please - first and last.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks for taking the time to reply but I would like to apologize for wasting it. I have built a 747 cockpit that includes a CP Flight EFIS. It is the STD button on this that I have been pressing. On doing so STD appears on the PFD under the altitude ribbon but it seems that pressure is not set to STD. If I use STD on the PMDG 2D EFIS panel it works correctly. It looks like the problem is caused by the hardware driver and I need to contact the provider. Sorry again.

Phil McEvoy.

Thanks for taking the time to reply but I would like to apologize for wasting it. I have built a 747 cockpit that includes a CP Flight EFIS. It is the STD button on this that I have been pressing. On doing so STD appears on the PFD under the altitude ribbon but it seems that pressure is not set to STD. If I use STD on the PMDG 2D EFIS panel it works correctly. It looks like the problem is caused by the hardware driver and I need to contact the provider. Sorry again.

Might that key be mapped to the 'B' key? That'll work, but hitting the 'B' key will only set STD when above FL180 (worldwide, unfortunately - hardcoded FSX thing). Definitely something to discuss with them, though.

Kyle Rodgers

I might try creating a mouse macro so that pressing a button on the yoke replicates clicking on the STD button of the 2D panel. It may not work but I could give it a try.

Phil McEvoy.