Sign in to follow this  
alderon57

NA ground textures - default, GEP3D, or ?

In my FS9 rig, I used GE Pro and UT, with the "sandwich" and any patches that came around.  I was pretty happy with the appearence vs the real world.

When I set up my P3Dv3, I naturally went with GEP3D and UTv2.  After flying for a couple of weeks, in familiar areas, I have disabled the GEP3D textures.  Even after tweaking my monitor and NV colors, it just never looked real.  The greens were sickly looking, there were too many fields and the tree color didn't match the ground colors.

Switched between GEP3D and default a few times, and decided to stick with default textures for now.  UT2 is still running.

Anyone else experience anything like this?  Anyone using another set of textures?  I was also a bit disappointed that, for the money, GE did not offer any alternate textures to choose from - something that other software for FS9 offered in the past.

Ron

Hi Ron,

Seems we are in similar boats... Another of the last diehard FS9 users - I just started using P3D a few weeks ago... While a huge fan of UT and GE in FS9 - I chose to go the GTX route (cheaper) with UTX in P3D... So far they seem to work well together (UTX needs to be of a lower priority in the scenery.cfg than GTX)... While I am enjoying many of the advancements P3D has to offer - I think I still prefer the overall look of a well setup FS9 installation... By default - as you mentioned the color/contrast in FSX doesn't seem all that appealing and to me looks washed out...

So my current default environment - is GTX, GTX Advanced Trees, UTX2, ASN, and REX...

Note: Make sure you get the "Freeware" airports pack from ORBX to improve hundreds of default airports...

In P3D - there is an option to increase color saturation - try playing with that...

Try "Reshade with MasterEffect" for better coloration - I'm getting good results...

http://reshade.me

Go to "Presets" then page 29 for P3D... Look at the options for P3D and choose the most popular one: "Prepare3D V3 Realistic Lighting"... Scroll down to the bottom and "Ben" typed out the procedure I used including the requisite links... Follow that procedure... It should look completely different the next time you launch P3D... Even the aircraft preview should show remarks that you have installed "reshade"... Now - I wasn't that happy with a grainy setting Ben used - so I just swapped out his config for the one that appears below his called "Real Atmospheric for Prepare3D V3" - - - which I like better... Since the software was all installed - only the config file needed to be changed... It's looking better now... [scroll Lock] turns the effect on or off inside the sim for comparison...

Hope it helps...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Hi, Scott.

Thanks for the advice.  I'll check out the Reshade, etc.

Did you mean GEX, or GTX?  I can't find a product called GTX except for the video boards.  What did I miss?

Ron

Hi Ron,

I think they use that abbreviation for ORBX Global Textures... LOL - but I'm new at P3D so I could be wrong...

Let me know how you make out...

:smile:

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

The colors are quite different in DX10 and DX11; more saturated, than in DX9 and can come as a surprise first.

Do not forget that most of the monitors have a set of different tuning which can help to improve the palette.

I've been using OrbX Global textures for quite some time, which are very good looking and improve a lot over default.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I don't mind the saturation - that can be dialed back if needed.  I was surprised by the overall yellowness of the GEP3D (and apparently GEX as well) textures.  Too many fields; not enough trees.  Default P3D has too many trees, IMHO; but the colors look better to me.  Still searching for the Holy Grail...

Ron