Sign in to follow this  
Guest JustanotherPilot

Recommended Aircraft X-Plane 10.41 Newbie

Guest JustanotherPilot

I'm still finding my way around X-Plane after 20 years FSX, and now Prepar3D. I want to utilize my computers full 64bit i7-4790K capability. I was hoping someone could recommend some freeware aircraft that I could use to start me off. I should mention that I'm big on VC panels with plenty of detail and visuals. 'Cartoony' type textures is a real no no. I use the 737NGX, AS A320 and Majestic Q400.  I have the following categories in mind. twin turboprop airliner, twin jet airliner and single retractable GA to help me in my adaption, with the view of later purchasing the 'high end' airliners.

Can some dedicated X-Plane purists offer my some aircraft as outlined please.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Steve,

We are about to publish a review on the LES SAAB340A so keep an eye out for that as far as twin turboprop airliner.

For twin jet airliner, this year has seen the release of some wonderful models which have raised the bar on what is available. The most popular picks at present appear to be the FF Boeing 767 which is a very in-depth simulation, and we will be reviewing soon, as well as the Rotate MD80 which is visually stunning but not as deep systems wise, more akin to the Aerosoft A320, also the JAR A330 and A320 but they are progressive betas. We did review the A330

The soon to be release IXEG Boeing 737-300 aims to be also a systems rich aircraft, release is expected sometime in January, and we will also be working on a review with them.

As for single retractable GA, personal opinion but the REP package is similar to the A2A Accusim and it is available for the Carenado C210 and the Bonanza F33....it adds an amazing level of detail and systems simulation to them, there are some really good videos on You Tube. I own the C210 with the REP pack and it is a joy to fly.

For bush flying, look at the SMS DHC2 Beaver, you might be surprised.

All the best

I don't own it but the one that immediately comes into my mind, as being probably the only "study sim" add-on worth that designation for X-Plane 10 is probably the LES SaaB 340.

Goran is a perfectionist!  I'd say, Goran must be for X-Plane what Hardy Heinlin is for Aerowinx :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

The SAAB is fantastic (as you can probably tell from my profile pic), it's ideal for me since it's study level without being too automated, so it keeps me interested

As for freeware, there is nothing that comes to mind that's particularly high quality unfortunately

If one likes Russian planes, the freeware IL-14 by Felis is mandatory ...

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I concur with the recommendations already made - the LES Saab 340A, the FF 767 and either the Carenado C210 or F33 + Reality Expansion Pack. They are all superb.

Regarding the Carenados, personally I'd go with the F33 as it's a somewhat nicer model IMO.

Also noteworthy are the Airfoillabs C172 and the SMS DHC-2 Beaver.

You are looking for a freeware is what I read, goto xpfr.org and download the Sbach 300 trust me you won't regret this bird.  She is an aerobatic one but she is great.

There is an An-2 also. In fact quite a good freewares @org , don't forget Pedro's Twin Otter.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

A few freeware gems out there - but cartoony is almost all the freeware I've found. You'll need to go payware to find the high quality stuff.

LES Saab - just get it

Aerobask Viper Jet is good

FlyJSim B737-200

Dream foil Bell 407

Carenado stuff is well done in XP unlike P3D

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest JustanotherPilot

Thanks everyone for your replies, I notice that some of those mentioned seem to be commercial payware aircraft, are there any standout freeware airliners and turboprop aircraft available. I wasn't aware of the An2 or the Twin Otter and am really impressed with the Saab, something sadly missing in the other platforms, I'm still learning the 'new' keyboard commands and 'navigating around' of X-Plane, quite different to what I'm used too. BTW can someone tell me how to disable the B747 AI aircraft that seems intent on departing from the smallest of airports I start from, I'm pretty sure Boeing never developed a STOL version of it.

You need to make AI to "01" or just selecting GA aircrafts in "Aircrafts & situations" Xplane AI is horrible. But there is a payware which seems to be good "World Traffic".  

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

am really impressed with the Saab, something sadly missing in the other platforms, I'm still learning the 'new' keyboard commands and 'navigating around' of X-Plane, quite different to what I'm used too. ersion of it.

The good thing about the Saab is that is has an 'interactive checklist', meaning that you can click items on the checklist and the camera will move towards them. This is great for learning the plane and if you're still getting used to X Planes camera system. For the record, I think the XP camera system is 100x better than FSX's. It takes about an hour to get used to it, but once you do you won't want to go back. 

Anyway, go for the Saab. You won't regret it one bit. The best freeware airliner I can think of is the x737. It models some procedures, and will get a VC very soon.You can also buy an accurate FMC for it for more realism.