Sign in to follow this  
mwilk

Can't decide

Usually, after all of the Christmas shopping is done, if there's any money left over, I buy myself a flightsim present. I'm torn between the FF767 and the Rotate MD-80. 

• Upvote 2

NAX669.png

odd i have been trying to decide on the exact same 2 aircrafts as you.i have spent 4 days watching videos on both and swinging more towards the rotate md 80, the outside textures are amazing

or just till January for IXEG

That one's a no brainer. That money is already put away.

NAX669.png

767 is long haul, md-80 is short-medium hauls.  Choose what you love to fly more ;)

British Airways use a 767 from Edinburgh to London........ ;-)

Mike,

If you have the time and inclination, there's an extemely detailed 3-part review of the MD-80 on the Flightsim481 you tube channel.

Here's a link to the first video:

Good luck on your decision.

Regards,

Tom

• Upvote 1

Mike,

If you have the time and inclination, there's an extemely detailed 3-part review of the MD-80 on the Flightsim481 you tube channel.

Here's a link to the first video:

Good luck on your decision.

Regards,

Tom

Tom, thank you. I'll give it a look.

• Upvote 1

NAX669.png

I was wondering the same thing - was trying to hold off for the IXEG, but gave up and bought the MD80. I am more into the short haul than long, so was not that keen on the 767.

The MD80 has been a bit of a disappointment. My FPS has taken a bit of a hit, even with 2K textures, so is barely usable. But the big problem is the FMS - it has a lot of bugs which the developers are working on. But in the meantime it can be challenging to fly because of the FMS problems.

In fact, was looking at the online videos of the 767 with a bit more interest - just because I want an FMS that actually works.

A few of us are also getting random CTD when editing the FMS in flight. VERY annoying as you can imagine. It does not seem that they had a very good beta test program, or were rushed to release a bit early.

I am thinking that if they fix the FMS problems, it will be a great aircraft. But until then I would hold off for the IXEG.

I7-6700k 32 gig RAM, NVIDIA GTX-980 TI 6G RAM, GTX-460, Saitek X55 throttle, Combat rudder pedals, CH Eclipse yoke,TrackIR 5, 5 monitors (main is 40" 4k), Corsair K95 RGB k/b, Win 7 x64. X-Plane XP 11.1+

I went ahead and bought the FF767. I just completed my first flight from Heathrow to Edinburgh. I was very happy with the way the aircraft performed. It hand flew very well and followed the flight plan when on autopilot. I'm not a details freak when it comes to the FMC but it was functional enough to do everything required to complete a flight. FPS were good. I have a pretty powerful machine so your mileage may vary. All in all I'm happy with my purchase. As soon as they get some of the quirks worked out in the rotate MD-80, I'm sure I'll be adding it to my hangar.

767PW-300ER_1_zpsl0fclgp9.png

767PW-300ER_2_zps4pjmulvt.png

767PW-300ER_5_zps2olkivwa.png

767PW-300ER_6_zpsihjgljcf.png

767PW-300ER_7_zpspjeyimqi.png

767PW-300ER_8_zpsaegfxpbp.png

NAX669.png

I

A few of us are also getting random CTD when editing the FMS in flight. VERY annoying as you can imagine. It does not seem that they had a very good beta test program, or were rushed to release a bit early.

Well, it isn't easy to really debug an FMS, since a lot of things depend on the route and settings.

It would be extremly unfair to compare The MD-80 with the FlightFactor 767. It has the huge advantage, that it is builkd on successors.

The CRJ-200 nhad a lot of Bugfs and even crashes, as well as the FlightFactor Boeing777, that inherited a lot of components from the CRJ. The4 757 was build on the Base of the 777, while the 767 is based on the 757...

It will be interesting how many bugs the IXEG 737 will have since they had to write the FMS from scratch too. I wouldn't ask if the FMS will have bugs, it is more a question of how many.

Then there was the upcoming Christmas and the threat by the upcoming IXEG 737 which is more or less based on the same era as the MD-80

Well, it isn't easy to really debug an FMS, since a lot of things depend on the route and settings.

I am a programmer myself - so I do understand some of their issues. But I am thinking that the bugs in the FMS would have been simple to discover. I have not done one single flight where the FMS has worked. Even the tutorial flight that they provide will not work (on my system, at least).

I think the Xmas rush was the problem - and getting it out when they did was probably a good move commercially. As long as the x-plane community can see updates in the near future (within a week or so), then no harm done. None of us expects a flawless and bug free system. Hell, even X-Plane itself is rife with problems.

For me it is my first aircraft with a working FMS that I have actually flown much at all (I have the CRJ-200 but I never fly it). I am guessing it will take me a week or so to get to learn how to fly the plane in all other respects, so I do not mind waiting for some patches for the FMS to come out.

One problem is that the IXEG will be coming out very soon, and it has a fully working FMS. The MD80 is somewhat limited in comparison as far as I can see. If patches to the MD80 are not out by the time the IXEG comes out, there is a fair bet that I will relegate the MD80 to history. One very big saving grace is that the MD80 is a weird aircraft to fly. Not at all like a Boeing or Airbus, so that adds a lot of points for me. It also flies very well - as smooth as the 732 I think. Apart from the FMS it is a very nice plane.

I like the look of the 767. The few Youtube videos I have seen of it seem promising. But I am not sure if I want yet another aircraft of around the same vintage. I am guessing it is around the same age as the 733 roughly, and perhaps much like the MD80 in technology as well. I would rather go to a newer aircraft like the 737-800 I am thinking.

Anyway, no more flying for me today - too much food!

Edit : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTvmHKVh9A4&feature=youtu.be

Just found this excellent youtube video by Frooglesim. He took up a real MD80 captain and his comments are instructive.

• Upvote 1

I7-6700k 32 gig RAM, NVIDIA GTX-980 TI 6G RAM, GTX-460, Saitek X55 throttle, Combat rudder pedals, CH Eclipse yoke,TrackIR 5, 5 monitors (main is 40" 4k), Corsair K95 RGB k/b, Win 7 x64. X-Plane XP 11.1+

It will be interesting how many bugs the IXEG 737 will have since they had to write the FMS from scratch too. I wouldn't ask if the FMS will have bugs, it is more a question of how many.

i will bet my mother in law that there will not be any significant bug on launch in regards to the fms (most probably to some exotic hardware config). Pretty much the last year all they have been doing is making the FMS online flying stable. And if you know Jan, you know how thorough a german pilot can be. They are the german'st of the germans :)

Guest Mik75

I have them both, like them both, but the FF 767 is the better product for sure!

Go and get it, you won´t regret it! ;-)

I also have both the FF767 and MD80. I bought the MD80 shortly after release and love it. It is not a study sim, many of the features that another FSX product has are not featured, however it offers amazing immersion in flight. I'm not an MD80 pilot in RL, but understand that it's an unpredictable aircraft that requires a lot of pilot input. I'm not sure if the issues reported here (and some I have not seen) are representative of the real a/c issues or not, but if just setting up the autopilot and letting the a/c fly itself is what you want, this is not for you- just as in the real a/c.

I have just bought the 767 and can't comment much, other than it is heralding a new era in XP add-ons with it's configuration and options setup.

Both are "must have's" in my opinion...

Bruce.