Sign in to follow this  
hamish7777

Sandy Bridge to Skylake

Well Santa has delivered early as my present to myself was an upgrade to my computer which was originally a Sandy Bridge 2500K @ 4.5 with DDR3 @ 2100. I went for a Skylake 6700K with Corsair Vengence DDR4 @ 3600 and the new Corsair GTX Water Cooler 110. I also swapped out 2 Samsung 1TB Hard Drives for 2 512 Samsung SSD's. I decided to keep my Nvidia 770GTX as I want to wait for the new Pascal architecture next year.. i run 3 x 17" monitors with a Triple Head 2 Go at 3840 x 1280.

Sandy Bridge has always run very well and I run a modest FSX Steam Edition with PMDG 777/737 mainly some large payware airports etc but nothing has prepared me for the change I have just witnessed. I had a very well tweaked system but now with this new system its like GLASS. Even with the Nvidia Standard tweak 1/2 refresh rate locked at 30, I always suffered small micro stutters when turning at larger airports, now I can stay locked at 30FPS in any situation and there are no stutters at all. Who knows it may help that I am running a fresh install though I secretly think that the nirvana comes from running Skylake with really fast memory and now SSD's for the operating system and FSX I have finally found my holy grail. I can boot into my OS in less than 19 seconds and then open FSX in less that 25 and be flying within a minute and no stutters even when looking behind you, just glass...

Long may it last.

Thank You Skylake

Thank You DDR4

Thank You SSD's

Happy Christmas All

Hamish

You've just given me hope - I'm on a Sandy Bridge i7-3820 running stock at 3.6ghz, with my eyes on a Skylake with new memory, all complimenting my GTX970.

It looks like it will suit me well... very well indeed.

Enjoy that new system! Thanks for the PIREP on it.

Well Santa has delivered early as my present to myself was an upgrade to my computer which was originally a Sandy Bridge 2500K @ 4.5 with DDR3 @ 2100. I went for a Skylake 6700K with Corsair Vengence DDR4 @ 3600 and the new Corsair GTX Water Cooler 110. I also swapped out 2 Samsung 1TB Hard Drives for 2 512 Samsung SSD's. I decided to keep my Nvidia 770GTX as I want to wait for the new Pascal architecture next year.. i run 3 x 17" monitors with a Triple Head 2 Go at 3840 x 1280.

Thank You Skylake

Thank You DDR4

Thank You SSD's

Happy Christmas All

Hamish

Sounds great.

What MB did you go with?

Skylake overclocked to....?

Thanks,

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I went with a Maximus VIII Ranger from Asus. I am running 4.6Ghz with a VCore at 1.38volts. The Corsair 110i Cooler is amazing at full tilt in FSX the fan is hardly moving and I am seeing 48/50C maximum. I reckon I could push it to 4.8 at 1.42v with temps in the early 70s.

If anyone is on the fence thinking about an upgrade this is the time to do it. Its been better than a kid in a sweet shop...

Yet another that opted for Skylake and is over the moon with the results! Makes me excited, my Skylake parts are still in boxes, building after Christmas.

48-50C is a great temp for a 4.6 overclock too. I'm not an AIO fan, but if I were, I've always said I'd opt for the H110.

How did you overclock, the traditional way, manually, or using the 5 way optimisation feature?

Hi Martin,

Interesting question.. I started with the 5 way optimazation and in some ways it's good to give you a very basic idea of what your chip is capable of though it settles with a very conservative setting.. It also uses adaptive vcore setting which means that the cpu throttles down when not being used to its full potential... Interestingly I found that running fsx the first few times I had a couple of app crashes and I thought that because the program uses primarily only one core in that setting it became unstable which caused the Ctd.. I then changed to a completely manual setting in the bios and have the chip running at 4.6 in a manual mode all the time and changed a few settings.. I followed an over clocking guide I found on you tube and since then no ctd all perfectly smooth...

H.

Interesting question.. I started with the 5 way optimazation and in some ways it's good to give you a very basic idea of what your chip is capable of though it settles with a very conservative setting..

5 way optimisation isn't conservative, that sounds more like the fixed overclock modes, one of which is 4.6. If you used that mode then yes it would be conservative and yes it might not apply sufficient voltage for your chip.

You can configure 5 way optimisation how you like. You can set a temp limit, voltage limit or frequency limit. You can overclock per core or all cores the same. You can also set 5 way optimisation to run extended stress tests over the time period you choose. If anything it usually overclocks high.

It also uses adaptive vcore setting which means that the cpu throttles down when not being used to its full potential...

It will reduce the frequency anyway, whether you are using adaptive or not, unless you turn off power saving in the BIOS of course. Adaptive voltage does exactly that, adapts the voltage to the workload, so I'm surprised you had issues. The voltage should adjust back up to max while gaming or in flight sim, or anything that requires the higher voltage.

I use adaptive on my Ivy Bridge system and no issues.

Important thing is that you are stable though, so good news.

Thanks Martin. It looks like you know your onions. I am still fairly new to this. At the moment I have turned off the power setting so it's delivering 1.38v all the time. Maybe I should go back and revisit the adaptive mode and power saving situation... The 5 way optimization is probably far more advanced than I give it credit for..

Yes it's all running very smoothly at the moment which is great.

H.

You've just given me hope - I'm on a Sandy Bridge i7-3820 running stock at 3.6ghz, with my eyes on a Skylake with new memory, all complimenting my GTX970.

It looks like it will suit me well... very well indeed.

Enjoy that new system! Thanks for the PIREP on it.

Greg, I'll say this much.. Going from the 3820 to the 6700k was a jaw dropping experience for me. If you have any reservations as to whether or not it is worth the money, I can personally tell you that it is. P3D runs as smooth as silk for me. I typically see 60+ Frames Per Second on average and 40-50 while on the ground. 

6700k @ 4.5 

Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 7

16GB DDR4 2800

2x 250GB Samsung 850 Evo's. (one for W10 and one for P3D)

1TB WD Blue

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

850w Evga Platinum. 

Greg, I'll say this much.. Going from the 3820 to the 6700k was a jaw dropping experience for me.

My wife, the Chair of the Household Committee on Expenditures and Finance, is going to be very displeased with you.

• Upvote 2

The Asus 5Way is a great tool, it gone be better when they fixed the memory OC.

Here is with my Sim Cpu 6700k its not delidded my settings was 2min stress test with AVX enabled

it was stable 4924mhz 1.34v its really good for auto overclocking, then a manually optimate the mems.

Run a 1hour aida64 FPU test.

6700k @ 4924mhz uncore 4724mhz

mem speed 3870mhz 16-19-19-40 2t

MoBo Asus Maximus Hero VIII Z170

Cooling Corsair H110 ambient 23C

The result is very good it blow the pants of a Golden 4770K/4790K its fact.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54475361/760/5way/5WAY.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54475361/760/5way/aida-fpu-temp.png

Nice video here.

What is that big PC case he is using in that video? anyone knows?

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter