Sign in to follow this  
hamish7777

Sandy Bridge to Skylake

What is that big PC case he is using in that video? anyone knows?

Yep, that's one of the new Lian Li cases that's been released.

It's the PC-08S.

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-o8s/

There's also the PC-08.

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-o8/

The PC-X510 has been released to. I have one!

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-x510/

I'm also thinking about moving from i7-2700k @4.4 to i7-6700k, but I'm wondering how big will be the expected gain in FPS. I'm currently with 980Ti and EVO850-2TB and my average FPS with ASN, NGX, UTX USA, FSDT KJFK/KLAX/KORD and 100% AI ~ 25FPS with zero autogen (I'm a die-hard heavy-metal only IFR person). Since I'd have to change not only a CPU, but also a MB as well as memory, the future potential benefits are what I'm interested to get knowledge of.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-2700K/3502vs1985

36%

Thats not the whole picture though. It's fast DDR4. And Skylake has many other benefits not just speed.

Thanks for the link, but I presume those are merely generic tests on factory settings. P3D is totally different beast that loves raw CPU power meaning that we have O-clock. Thus, it'd be interesting to see the performance of equally overclocked (~4.4/4.6) it-2700k and i7-6700k   

Well the 6700K has a 10% higher stock frequency, so IPC [instructions Per Cycle] should be 26% better.

Increase in frame rate is linear in regard to overclocking. So 26% better than 2700K at the same frequency. Overclock both to 4.6 and the 6700K will still be 26% faster.

That's how I'd look at it. But the proof of the pudding is in the eating. You would need someone that's done the tests to tell you definitively.

Well Santa has delivered early as my present to myself was an upgrade to my computer which was originally a Sandy Bridge 2500K @ 4.5 with DDR3 @ 2100. I went for a Skylake 6700K with Corsair Vengence DDR4 @ 3600 and the new Corsair GTX Water Cooler 110. I also swapped out 2 Samsung 1TB Hard Drives for 2 512 Samsung SSD's. I decided to keep my Nvidia 770GTX as I want to wait for the new Pascal architecture next year.. i run 3 x 17" monitors with a Triple Head 2 Go at 3840 x 1280.

Sandy Bridge has always run very well and I run a modest FSX Steam Edition with PMDG 777/737 mainly some large payware airports etc but nothing has prepared me for the change I have just witnessed. I had a very well tweaked system but now with this new system its like GLASS. Even with the Nvidia Standard tweak 1/2 refresh rate locked at 30, I always suffered small micro stutters when turning at larger airports, now I can stay locked at 30FPS in any situation and there are no stutters at all. Who knows it may help that I am running a fresh install though I secretly think that the nirvana comes from running Skylake with really fast memory and now SSD's for the operating system and FSX I have finally found my holy grail. I can boot into my OS in less than 19 seconds and then open FSX in less that 25 and be flying within a minute and no stutters even when looking behind you, just glass...

Long may it last.

Thank You Skylake

Thank You DDR4

Thank You SSD's

Happy Christmas All

Hamish

Wow, that much of a difference? That sounds awesome. My current specs are i5-2500k@4.5, Corsair Vengeance DDR3@1600, GTX 970, 120gb Samsung SSD and 4tb WD HDD. I bought the parts on Black Friday the year the 2500k released, so it's what, 4 years old now? I've upgrade the GPU four times (560 to 2x 660tis to 680 to 970), the case to a HAF X, the PSU, etc. Basically, the only things I haven't upgraded yet are the CPU, mobo, and RAM. I was actually going to upgrade them this Black Friday but I bought quite a few FSX addons instead. I just got back into FSX the past few months, and up until then, I had no desire to upgrade. FSX is the only thing I play that is maxing out my CPU. My framerates drop when there's a lot of scenery on screen or when there are a lot of clouds(REX). Now you make me want a new CPU!

I think it's the combination for me of the 6700k running at 4.6ghz and the DDR4 @ 3600 and the ssd that has just found FSX's sweet spot. If one thing in this link was not there then maybe I would not have had the performance shift that I have seen. One of the computer techs I was speaking too has said that the DDR4 fast memory has really made a difference and having an SSD to work off makes it all the sweeter...

H.

What are the main differences between the 6700 and 6700k? I may upgrade my mobo/ram/CPU

Luis Cortez
www.fusionairways.com

just transitioned from i7 920 @ 4g to the 6700k @ 4.6g with ssd.  fsx definitely runs better to say the least.  this thread kinda motivated me to beg for a new system from the boss at home, thanks.

the 920 ran well for almost 6 yrs, just couldn't handle detailed stuff with wx mixed in.  still using the 670gtx, maybe upgrade gfx card in the future if p3d or others come along.  

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

I just got a 6700K Asus 170PRO with a 970 and SSD...haven't received it yet but hopefully will be a lot better than the 2500k i have now.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom