Sign in to follow this  
Rimshot

Large drop in performance

Sure, locate the Prepar3D dll.xml file, which is in c:\users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 (you need to enable the visibility of hidden folders).

Make a backup of your file, just to be sure! Modify the file; you can open it with a text editor. Now search for the following code:

<Launch.Addon>
    <Name>ObjectFlow</Name>
    <Disabled>False</Disabled>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>C:\Prepar3D v3\ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\Scenery\ObjectFlow_P3D.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>

Now change 'False' (which I have highlighted in bold) to 'True' and save the file.
To enable objectflow again you set the value back to 'False'.

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

A few minutes after I posted the above I fired up Prepar3d. Mind you, last night I had a very enjoyable session, with 30 fps, I shut down my sim and computer when it was time to get some sleep. And guess what? Just now the frames have dropped again to 10-12 fps  :shok:

And it looks like objectflow isn't causing the problem after all. I tried to load P3D again with objectflow disabled in the dll.xml. This seemingly restored my performance yesterday. When I tried this just now it had no effect. So here I am again with a sim that does not perform as it should...  Why does the performance drop? And what on earth made that it magically returned to normal values yesterday?? I really don't get this!  :unknw:  :sad:

Cheers, Bert

Bert, it sounds to me like a computer issue.

Some tasks in the background, a Windows update maybe or a nasty driver somewhere.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

One last thing I can think of Bert is to delete your shaders and clean-reinstall your graphic drivers. I had some shader recompile issues after disabling CUDA, but they were fixed after a driver reinstall.

Otherwise David is probably right and there may be something external causeing the issue (malware, hardware, etc.)... 

Is this similar to the problem you are having?  http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6322&t=116407

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Is this problem just related to the 3.1 update? at the moment am using V3 but unsure if to update or not

Not v3.1 specific. I also had the problem with v3.

Bert, it sounds to me like a computer issue.

Some tasks in the background, a Windows update maybe or a nasty driver somewhere.

I'm on the verge of doing a fresh Windows install, but I fear the problem may return. It's so weird their is that much difference between simulator sessions without changes being made to the setup of the sim or pc... I guess I'll have to give it a shot anyway.

One last thing I can think of Bert is to delete your shaders and clean-reinstall your graphic drivers. I had some shader recompile issues after disabling CUDA, but they were fixed after a driver reinstall.

Otherwise David is probably right and there may be something external causeing the issue (malware, hardware, etc.)... 

Removing the shader folder doesn't work unfortunately. I will try to reinstall my drivers as a final attempt to solve this before I completely reinstall Windows. Thanks for the tip!

Is this similar to the problem you are having?  http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6322&t=116407

It sure seems similar Bob. I also experience a very large drop in performance. But It happened to me with v3 as well; one session normal fps, the next a sudden drop to 10-12 fps. It is not related to an update of the client alone. I did a total reinstall of v3.1. At first all was fine, the next day the same drop in performance occurred again...

Cheers, Bert

Bert, try disabling Nvidia audio driver from Windows device manager.

Don't uninstall it, just disable it and reboot.

It could help.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Yesterday I updated my nvidia driver ..I had not done this in the last 3 years..and I was running into this issue...I got fedup.. and restored my PC back to the 3 year old driver and I am good now

I know this doesn't help y'all but I am suspecting the issue is the  nvidia driver.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Bert, try disabling Nvidia audio driver from Windows device manager.

Don't uninstall it, just disable it and reboot.

It could help.

Could it be an Orbx issue

Yesterday I updated my nvidia driver ..I had not done this in the last 3 years..and I was running into this issue...I got fedup.. and restored my PC back to the 3 year old driver and I am good now

I know this doesn't help y'all but I am suspecting the issue is the  nvidia driver.

Want to hear something funny? I just started Prepar3D. Frames are 30 fps again, where I have them locked. I didn't do anything default_blink.png I think I'll start looking for the hidden camera now default_biggrin.png​ Seriously. I hope it is still like this when I fire up my sim tomorrow...

@David, I will surely try this if the performance loss occurs again.

@Lamar, I suspect it has something to do with Orbx, but I'm not sure... Fact is my clean v3.1 install worked great, also with Orbx. But the drop in performance has only happened with Orbx addons installed. I can't say if the problem would also happen with a clean P3D install.

@Manny, I haven't had issues with the latest drivers. As I wrote in my original post I also run Project Cars, at ultra high settings. When P3D suffers from a huge performance loss Project Cars doesn't suffer from this at all. But you never know! As I said, when the problem returns I'll certainly try to reinstall drivers. 

Cheers, Bert

@Manny, I haven't had issues with the latest drivers. As I wrote in my original post I also run Project Cars, at ultra high settings. When P3D suffers from a huge performance loss Project Cars doesn't suffer from this at all. But you never know! As I said, when the problem returns I'll certainly try to reinstall drivers.

I have 3+1 monitors using nvidia surround... and that taskbar issue is what did me in... initially after the latest drivver install it all looked fine..then the next day I notice my task bar was moving around and not saying put in the middle monitor at the bottom.. so I started messing with the task bar...and I noticed my sim FPS dropped to1.5-4.5 range and it went back and forth..and I finally gave up and went back to my 3 yr old driver with my restore (in safe mode).

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I am very interested in this thread as I too am having this issue, however with P3d v3.0 and having a loss of fps suddenly. Having from 30- 35 fps on the ground, down to 15 - 17 fps a couple weeks ago.

Unable to find a solution to the issue. Very puzzling as everything was working great, then many additional p3d related program and scenery installs as well as some sytem related installs, cheating sort of without checking between installs. So the  last few days I've been contemplating  installing v3.1 or doing a restore going back a few weeks.

I'll try a few of these suggestions and report back if any change.

Cheers

Thanks for all the tips fellas. 

Rob

\Robert Hamlich/

@Rimshot

Does it happen after a reboot ?

Just make sure of one detail. When your frames are at 10-12fps, launch CPU-Z and make sure your freq multiplier is actually at the value it should be.

I had a couple of occurence last year, of processor running in degraded mode after much heating due to too demanding OC settings. Multiplier was defaulted to minimal value without my intervention.