Sign in to follow this  
Cargostorm

MCE & P3D V3.1 - Crash Report

On my rig (Win 8.0, 64bit), I receive a Windows crash report when I close the P3D app using the current version of MCE 2.6.5.6:

Version=1
EventType=APPCRASH
EventTime=130953737431750553
ReportType=2
Consent=1
UploadTime=130953737432153421
ReportIdentifier=3747bdc8-a9ae-11e5-8707-74d435eb6a3e
IntegratorReportIdentifier=3747bdc7-a9ae-11e5-8707-74d435eb6a3e
WOW64=1
NsAppName=prepar3d.exe
Response.BucketId=bf02235c20fcc1ee5452ec21e97a1b44
Response.BucketTable=1
Response.LegacyBucketId=107836226338
Response.type=4
Sig[0].Name=Application Name
Sig[0].Value=prepar3d.exe
Sig[1].Name=Application Version
Sig[1].Value=3.1.2.15831
Sig[2].Name=Application Timestamp
Sig[2].Value=5672b60a
Sig[3].Name=Fault Module Name
Sig[3].Value=MSVCR120.dll
Sig[4].Name=Fault Module Version
Sig[4].Value=12.0.21005.1
Sig[5].Name=Fault Module Timestamp
Sig[5].Value=524f7ce6
Sig[6].Name=Exception Code
Sig[6].Value=c0000005
Sig[7].Name=Exception Offset
Sig[7].Value=00014318
DynamicSig[1].Name=OS Version
DynamicSig[1].Value=6.2.9200.2.0.0.256.48
DynamicSig[2].Name=Locale ID
DynamicSig[2].Value=1031
DynamicSig[22].Name=Additional Information 1
DynamicSig[22].Value=5861
DynamicSig[23].Name=Additional Information 2
DynamicSig[23].Value=5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2
DynamicSig[24].Name=Additional Information 3
DynamicSig[24].Value=5c1f
DynamicSig[25].Name=Additional Information 4
DynamicSig[25].Value=5c1f554df00553b422a8baa03b19335a
UI[2]=H:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\prepar3d.exe
UI[3]=Prepar3D exe has stopped working
UI[4]=Windows can check online for a solution to the problem.

Obviously, it refers to MSVCR120.DLL, which is part of the VC++2013 library. Interestingly, the error only occurs if fsinsider.dll is loaded on program start. If I deactivate fsinsider.dll from being loaded in the DLL.XML, there is no error.

I know that there is thread going on in the P3D forum, but I think this is not related. Could anybody confirm that he/she has the same error with the new P3D V3.1 when the current fsinsider.dll is active?

Best Regards,

Chris

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

FS++ will look into the problem.

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

Affirmative. The same error in P3D31 when fsinsider.dll enabled.

Roman Heriban
Prepar3D v4 | Windows 10 | 1080Ti & 8700K at 4800MHz
FSLabs A320, Active Sky + Sky Force 3D, MCE, PF3, ChasePlane, etc.

sbsim.com

I read the entire thread over on the P3d forum. It's like a nightmare game of Cluedo, with a million suspects! I have used P3dv3 for the last month, extensively with MCE, with complex add on aircraft, but no PMDG aircraft, with flawless execution. Since p3dv3.1 offers nothing to tempt me to reinstall, I will not be going there. My old fashioned attitude, " if it ain't broke.." Also without MCE I could not fly in the sim!

However after reading the entire post, whilst digesting my Christmas turkey, I came across this thread, which made sense to me. I quote it here, in case it is of any help!

""It's been a long time since I worked in software development, but this sounds to me like one of the most dreaded of all bugs, the "bad pointer" error. With that sort of bug, what is happening is that data is being written somewhere it shouldn't be...but it could be anywhere in memory. If it overwrites something critical, it could crash right away, but, depending on what's running on one's system, it could be writing to locations in free memory over and over, meaning that you never notice a thing, then it hits memory that's already in use, and...crash! The problem is that where it hits, and the effects of such an overwrite, vary not only from moment to moment and computer to computer, but might change from run to run as well, as other, unrelated-to-P3D processes allocate memory in the background while you're playing, meaning that a write to random memory that caused no problems at one moment can suddenly be overwriting another process's memory, while writing to the exact same location, a few moments later.

Similarly, debugging such a problem can be a real bear, since it appears to be almost intermittent. (Plus, you can get a nightmare scenario where a bad pointer overwrites code that contains other pointers, and so on...) As I said, it's been a long time since I programmed computer games, but I would hope that debugging tools exist now that would detect such a write to random memory outside the program's own boundaries (because they didn't when I was doing this). Of course, if the write is going to the wrong part of the program's own allocated memory, even such tools wouldn't be of much assistance.."".

Regards,

David

David, MCE works in P3D31, the above mentioned crash takes place ONLY when the app closes, thus not directly influencing the experience. P3D31 enables the calibration of controllers - a relevant improvement for many users.

Roman Heriban

sbsim.com

MCE works in P3D31

Indeed, except for the warning on exit, which CargoStorm reported above, there are no instability issues.

However, the ATC feature is broken in V3.1 as fsInsider.dll isn't able to dynamically retrieve ATC options.

Also, interaction with GSX isn't working because out of caution, we don't enable it when a particular P3D version hasn't been worked on and properly identified..

Having said that, there is nothing challenging there (already seen it happen when P3D moved from version X to version Y) and it's just a matter of updating the fsInsider.dll

We expect to have the fix sometime in the middle of next week.

Thank you all for your patience.

• Upvote 1

Thank you in advance. If possible, please consider to look at another small annoyance - red "ctrl-z" info text getting stuck...

Roman Heriban

sbsim.com

With that sort of bug, what is happening is that data is being written somewhere it shouldn't be...but it could be anywhere in memory. If it overwrites something critical, it could crash right away, but, depending on what's running on one's system, it could be writing to locations in free memory over and over, meaning that you never notice a thing, then it hits memory that's already in use, and...crash!

I did some tests. While it is true that fsinsider.dll crashes only when closing P3DV3.1, I had my first CTDs when fsinsider.dll was active during flight. P3D just closed and disappeared, and no crash report at all. At that time MCE was not even started. It might be related. But let's wait until a new version of fsinsider.dll comes out.

Regards,

Chris

--

Having said that, there is nothing challenging there (already seen it happen when P3D moved from version X to version Y) and it's just a matter of updating the fsInsider.dll

We expect to have the fix sometime in the middle of next week.

Top support!

I have never seen a CTD in P3dv3 with MCE and RC4 running that was due to "normal" use.. The only one I experienced was due to my excessive view switching with the Airbus over Orbx complex scenery. This produced an Oom warning before it CTD. So that was my fault. Even with the new optimised VAS usage, I learnt that if you abuse the views by rapid switching, you can Oom! A reminder that we still run in a 32 bit program;)

On the mini subject of annoyances....

Is the GSX support implemented for the Majestic Dash 8? I ask because the pesky back left cargo door remains stubbornly closed while GSX magically loads luggage "through" the closed door..."Mechanic open cargo doors", has Trav asking "are you on a solo flight?" Lol...

Best regards.

David

I did some tests. While it is true that fsinsider.dll crashes only when closing P3DV3.1, I had my first CTDs when fsinsider.dll was active during flight. P3D just closed and disappeared, and no crash report at all. At that time MCE was not even started. It might be related. But let's wait until a new version of fsinsider.dll comes out.

OK, here we go

For full compatibility with P3D V3.1, just replace fsInsider.dll in \Prepar3D v3\ installation folder

Download zip file here: http://www.multicrewxp.com/fsInsider2658.zip

Great. Just read your post. Will try the file tomorrow and report back.

Regards,

Chris

--

As usual: great and superb support from FS++ / MCE team.

I have tested the new fsinsider.dll (v2.6.5.8) during lunch time, and so far no issues with P3D V31. I have to test ATC and GSX though to make a final conclusion

Regards,

Chris

--

OK, no issues so far! ATC and GSX also work. Great work, Ben! Thanks for your quick update.

Cheers,

Chris

Regards,

Chris

--

Works great, thank you for the wonderful support!

Roman Heriban

sbsim.com