Sign in to follow this  
surlybonds

FTX Global

Hello,

I've read the definitive guide to the Orbx products and it was helpful.  currently I have FSX gold edition and have ultimate terrain, UTX-US, Alaska and Canada; all of the regional scenery packs and numerous airports, mostly in the NA part of the world and a number of FSGenesis landclass software titles.

I will soon be upgrading to the Steam edition of FSX and will reload all my a/c and scenery.  I was wondering if this would be the time to upgrade the scenery to FTX Global and all its parts.  I generally don't fly outside of these areas but perhaps I would if the scenery with Global was that much better than the default.  Can I still use the regional scenery packs and the airports I currently own?  Would the Global products negate the necessity to install the UTX products?  Is Global a vast improvement over UTX? (UTX is pretty old - i'm guessing it must be).  How about the FSGenesis - would that be necessary to reinstall with Global?

I also have read that there are a myriad of freeware airports supported by Global, true?

Trust there is no problem with the Steam edition supporting all of the FTX products.

Thanks for clarifying these matters for an old simmer. . . and Merrrry Christmas!!!

Donn

I think FTX Global textures are an improvement over UTX textures, but if you ask me, I'd say it's a matter of personal taste. What Global does is replace the default textures, so it will work the same with other addons as the default textures would and it's possible to combine Global and UTX. But keep in mind that UTX is more than just textures and therefor you can benefit from using both at the same time.

There are 2 FTX freeware packs that go together with FTX Global, one for EU and one for NA. It are smaller airports, but it are a LOT of them!

I'm not shure if all FTX products are adapted for FSX:SE at this moment, but the ones that arent, should be in the future. On the other hand, I tried several products before they were ready for FSX:SE and for some the objectflow files arent working, but you can just turn them off. All buildings and such will be there, only processes affected by objectflow wont work until they're updated.

Cheers!

Maarten

My understanding is that Global is not considered a replacement for UTX. They do different things.

Global replaces Textures. UTX upgrades Vector data, like roads, rivers, coastlines and railway lines etc. Therefore the FTX equivalent to UTX would be Vector. UTX and Global would compliment each other, you wouldn't need to get rid of it altogether.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

My understanding is that Global is not considered a replacement for UTX. They do different things.

+1.  And FTX Global and UTX play very nicely together.

Regards,

Greg

A friend and I are both using UTX and FTX Global BASE and Vector (in multiplayer together, too). It took a bit of playing around with priorities, but I'm using the FTX Vector roads while my friend is using UTX roads (within the U.S. of course). We both have all of the North America regions, too (except SoCal which just came out -- will get it soon). It generally works well, except that on some of the airports I've modified with ADE I have trees all over the field, including on the runways, taxiways, etc., depending on the specific landclasses in the area. Everything else is great.

Thank you all for the informative comments.  I have, as suggested, re-read the definitive guide.  Thanks again and have a very wonderful New Year!!