Sign in to follow this  
darth_damian_000

Confused about updating to 3.1

Hello. I just received the news that there is an update to P3D. Version 3.1 is out there, at about 10GB of size, and I want to make this big step.

However, I have absolutely no idea how to go about it.

1) LM says that we should uninstall the client from control panel, and install the 3.1 client. IS this the 10GB file that they are referring to?

2) I read that I will have to reactivate my product. LM says that I should uninstall current instance of p3d before installing a new one. Does this mean I have to perform a clean install of 3.1? Or is this an alternative to the update client?

3) How will this affect my add-ons? I have many airports and a few airplanes purchased from developers, and will I have to reinstall them again? How will this affect licensing? I don't want them to think that I am using these products on another computer...because I'm not.

I read forums over here and, due to the debating that is going on there, I am left confused.

All the best

The simplest update is to uninstall ONLY the 3.0 client from control panel and then install the 3.1 client. Run, activate and you are done. You shouldn't have any issues with addons or scenery UNLESS you use SETUP.exe to do a FULL install.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

If you want to have a fully capable 3.1 system (that you could install from scratch in the future) the 9.8 gb download is that as well as having the capability to update the client from 3.0 to 3.1.

Go ahead and download the 9.8 gb and save it.

Go to control panel and uninstall the client only.

Unzip the downloaded file to a location of your choice.  There well be several files created, one of them will be client.msi which when your run it will reinstall the 3.1 client and you will have to re-license but that is somewhat painless.

There should be no issue with scenery, addons etc.  In the case of Orbx (If you have any of their products) you will have to download their latest objectflow.dll from the Orbx website.  I think (but not sure) you can use FTX central to accomplish that also.

In my case I did run into a problem in the scenery library with a addon (not a very common one) which caused some issues with 3.1.  It took me awhile to figure it out but once I found and removed that entry 3.1 worked perfectly.