Sign in to follow this  
JLSeagull

To Widescreen or not to Widescreen.... that is the question

Apologies to you venerable, learned bunch for bringing this up on Christmas Eve - but what, if any, are the pros and cons of that option (given that widescreen monitors are the norm these days)?  [pour me another Port Dearest - it may be a long evening] :P

Hi David,

As someone who has really disliked widescreen formats and a huge fan of 4:3 - I make the move here in the near future... I've been eye ball'n a Dell 2k just because you gain so much screen real estate... Now that I'm moving to P3D/VC cockpit vs FS9/2D cockpit - it kind of makes sense...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Scott - you are Absolved: An innocent in the grand scheme of things. NEXT!

J van E. With all due respect Sir, I watched that video three years ago.  You and I (should) know that technology has moved on apace since then.  My original question still stands.

The Pros of widescreen are,  you get to watch things in widescreen ie: a wider screen then a non widescreen monitor.  I hope this helps David  :Devil:

The cons would be,  you have a wider screen to clean 

What exactly does technology advancing have to do with the basic principles of field of view, math and trigonometry explained in those "old" videos..?

I'm not terribly a fan of widescreen in terms of flight simulation, but only because I also like a lot of vertical screen.

My solution was a 32" 2560x1440 monitor.  It has nearly the same dpi as a 24" 1920x1080, so it sits at the same distance away but gives me plenty of width AND height. :smile:

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Guest JustanotherPilot

I'm not terribly a fan of widescreen in terms of flight simulation, but only because I also like a lot of vertical screen.

My solution was a 32" 2560x1440 monitor.  It has nearly the same dpi as a 24" 1920x1080, so it sits at the same distance away but gives me plenty of width AND height. :smile:

Did exactly the same - 32" monitor at that resolution is a formidable weapon in realism

May I ask which 32" monitor you guys went for?...I'm looking to upgrade my 24" for a 32 or 34".  Looking at the LG 34 UM67 @ 2560x1080 and the HP Envy 32" Media Display @ 2550x1440.  Both are 60hz and cost $400 US.  Just curious on what you guys have since I'll be using for FSX/P3D like you guys.

Thanks in Advance

The Pros of widescreen are,  you get to watch things in widescreen ie: a wider screen then a non widescreen monitor.  I hope this helps David  :Devil:

The cons would be,  you have a wider screen to clean 

Elaine, you crack me up sometimes... this is one of those times!

Regarding the OPs question - I may be wrong, but I interpreted it as 'What are the advantages of leaving the 'widescreen' option unchecked in P3D if you're using a widescreen monitor'. I've noticed that some people do not seem to be using the widescreen setting (Rob A. for example) even though they're obviously using a widescreen monitor.

• Upvote 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I also have the BenQ 32 inch. I also looked for vertical resolution and that BenQ has a lot: 2160 vs 1440 for the curved ones. That was my selling point for a flat 32 iinch monitor.

My 2 cents

Pierre

I like widescreen, it is the natural way we see things and the reason why cinemas use the 2.35:1 widescreen format. Our eyes see details in the horizontal( width) that we do not see in vertical ( height) .

Adding more screen in the vertical is a waste. Try holding your index fingers to the left and right of your peripheral vision and note how far you can still see your fingers. Now try the same with your fingers above and below the center of your vision. Even if you cheat you will quickly see that your side to side vision is at least 50% more effective. In a real plane this is the way you see, even without windows the cockpit is seen

wider so it makes sense to duplicate this with your visuals .

I'm only running three  22" monitors at this time, limited by space right now. If I move to a bigger room in my home I will consider triple large monitors or triple TV's, maybe even projectors but wide screen it will be.    

Same moniotor here and really love it.

Zero flickering, nice colours and contrasts, super resolution, it's an excellent monitor for both working and simming ;-)

I for one don't use widescreen in P3D for the simple reason that it causes 30% FPS lost!

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Scott - you are Absolved: An innocent in the grand scheme of things. NEXT!

J van E. With all due respect Sir, I watched that video three years ago. You and I (should) know that technology has moved on apace since then. My original question still stands.

Er...? I thought you were talking about the widescreen option (which in P3D is in the regular menu's) but apparently I was wrong. Seems to me (with all due respect ;) ) that video completely answers the question. Could you say what you meant exactly?

What exactly does technology advancing have to do with the basic principles of field of view, math and trigonometry explained in those "old" videos..?

Exactly.