Sign in to follow this  
kehoshi

Transfering FSX to a SSD drive

I have the following on my C:\ drive,

FSX Gold with FSUIPC non-registered plus many FSX Addons eg. Aircraft, scenery etc.

I now wish to transfer FSX and FSUIPC together with the addons to a new SSD drive. Could someone please explain how I can do this in a safe and easy manner. I am not very computer savvy so a simple explanation would be most welcome.

OS is Win 7.

Uninstalling and then reinstall it all on the new drive.

Probably not what you want to hear I'm afraid but it's the safest and most reliable way, and you'll benefit from a fresh installation.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

It's probably the only way it would work because of registry issues if the software is just copied to the new drive.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

Move the whole FSX folder with sub-folders to the SSD then make a symbolic link back to the C drive using the mklink command. All of the registry entries should still work as Windows still thinks it's working with folders on the C drive. You should still be able to install add-ons to the normal place on the C drive and they will be redirected to the folders on the SSD. Symbolic links work well and save all of the unnecessary tweaking and setting up associated with a fresh install.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Many thanks vortex681 I have done this following the guide from Jim Padgett, all is well. Now this may be a silly question but is it also possible to move my Prepar3D v3 from the C drive to the ssd, if so what would be the mklink command and what folders (Lockeed) should I move.

I don't have P3D so I would just be guessing but, if P3D has just a single folder tree, I can't see why the process wouldn't be identical to moving FSX using the mklink command. Otherwise, you'd have to move each folder tree and link to it.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit