Sign in to follow this  
flynman33

During a KSEA/YSSY Christmas Day Flight

Aircraft PMDG 7772LR

About 2.5 hours out in the dark of the night, halfway to PHNL the sound  all the sudden went mute. When I made my way to the desk top the Menu Bar said (Not Responding) so I clicked on the panel to see if it paused but the PC was already  froze up  and I had to END TASK to close it.

It has happened in daytime flights as well.

This happen even with my Ifly 747 when attempting to do USA to Europe/.Asia flights over water. I can fly trans-cons without an issue with my 737 747 and even the 777. It always happens over water.

Does anyone have a clue as to what is happening. I really want to do a long range flight with this bird.

Merry Christmas

Randy

Intel I7 6700 4.0 CPU Western Digital Caviar 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive  16GB DDR4 Crucial RAM. Corsair 750 Watt PSU.

EVGA NVIDIA GTX1080 FTW GPU

I would say it is your computer system that is causing it.  Your specs shows you do not have a very powerful system.  If you have your settings higher than the default set up by FSX when you first started up FSX, then that is likely the problem.  Of course, another cause of this type of freeze is bad tweaks in your fsx.cfg.  Water uses a lot of resources depending on the setting.  I believe nighttime flights are the hardest on system resources or at least that's the way I see it especially with payware like the PMDG 772 and the iFly744.  Default aircraft will always give you the best resources.  It's the addons that are the killers.  You might want to check out the AVSIM CTD Guide and the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide for suggestions on gaining performance and eliminating freezes.  See links in my signature for the guides.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I would say it is your computer system that is causing it.  Your specs shows you do not have a very powerful system.  If you have your settings higher than the default set up by FSX when you first started up FSX, then that is likely the problem.  Of course, another cause of this type of freeze is bad tweaks in your fsx.cfg.  Water uses a lot of resources depending on the setting.  I believe nighttime flights are the hardest on system resources or at least that's the way I see it especially with payware like the PMDG 772 and the iFly744.  Default aircraft will always give you the best resources.  It's the addons that are the killers.  You might want to check out the AVSIM CTD Guide and the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide for suggestions on gaining performance and eliminating freezes.  See links in my signature for the guides.

Best regards,

Jim.

I actually have a new system.

AMD Vishera 4.3 Ghz CPU

Evga 970 GTX

8 Gigs of ram

1 TB HDD/

Thanks

Randy Smith

Intel I7 6700 4.0 CPU Western Digital Caviar 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive  16GB DDR4 Crucial RAM. Corsair 750 Watt PSU.

Not sure what the correct name is for the AMD Vishera but think it is the AMD FX-8370 8 Core with turbo-speed at 4.3GHz.  It still is not a powerful computer system and ranks below the i7 3770 @3.4GHz and just above the i5 3570K @ 3.4GHz - https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-8370+Eight-Core

Still, even the most powerful systems available today can have problems if the settings are set too high or you have bad tweaks employed in the FSX.cfg. The newer system you have is a bit better, especially in the GPU area but that is about it.  You will still have to keep your settings at conservative settings and near the default, especially if flying with the PMDG or iFly aircraft.  Of course the system is capable of running FSX, just not at high settings (which I would avoid even if I had a super powerful system). 

You want to know what is causing your system to freeze up over water at night and I explained that above.  Night time flying can take up a lot of resources, even more than when flying during the day time.  Settings and what's running in the background during a flight are extremely important variables.  I know that as soon as my system freezes up, the first thing I do is lower my settings and try to find out what setting is causing the sim to take up so many resources.  There are no "perfect settings" that work for everyone.  Each individual has to set their own configurations until they get their sim to fly as fluid and stable as possible.

Like I mentioned above, the CTD Guide can provide some valuable information for you to use to investigate your freeze on your own.  For instance, on page 4, we explain how to use the Process Monitor (with a link to the software) that you can set up to monitor only FSX and your FSX addons.  This way, if you have a second monitor or split screen, you can see what is loading during the flight up to the spot of the crash and you can then take a look at the log and get an idea what might have caused YOUR freeze or crash.  I use to get a freeze at the exact same spot during a flight and used the Process Monitor to see that the freeze always occurred when the sim was loading AI aircraft (in my case MyTrafficX stuff).  I disabled MyTrafficX and the freezes stopped.  I later discovered that a freeze can occur if some AI aircraft do not have a flightplan and this was the cause of my crash.  A fix was developed by the developer and the problem went away (now I have My Traffic 6 and have had no problems with this program).  My point is, there are little things like this that causes freezes/crashes and the reason I came up with the AVSIM CTD Guide so people could investigate the freeze(s) and see if they can find what caused the anomaly.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim,

I just finished a day flight KSEA to PHNL, 5.25hrs without a glitch maintaining 21-27 fps, very smooth in the VC an some scrolls outside the cockpit.

I took off with Taxi2Gate KSEA and landed with LAGO PHNL scenery.

Randy