I have about $160-$180

Don't bother, save up some more.  Or if you are desperate, get a G3258k and an Asus H81-plus.  You'll be able to clock to 4.2ghz on the stock cooler no problem, and will wipe the floor with your AMD.

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

Sorry to bump.

I'm bought the Asrock motherboard but I have enough money now to buy my Intel CPU. I was thinking of getting this one.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i54690k

Good choice? On a budget of $255 but want to save about $20.

The Intel Core i5-4690K is a very good processor and should overclock easily to about 4.5GHz. You'll see a massive improvement over your old AMD CPU.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

The Intel Core i5-4690K is a very good processor and should overclock easily to about 4.5GHz. You'll see a massive improvement over your old AMD CPU.

Ok, do you think it is also worth upgrading my GTX 960 SSC or no? I heard only 25% of the usage from FSX comes from the GPU.

Ok, do you think it is also worth upgrading my GTX 960 SSC or no? I heard only 25% of the usage from FSX comes from the GPU.

Depends on your display resolution. If you're running at 1920x1080 you should have no problems at all with the 960. You could probably run it OK at 2560x1440 as long as you don't have your settings too high.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I run FSX at 2560x1440 without issues - nVidia Inspector suggests that the GPU load is only 30% or so. P3D is another story.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

I went from an AMD FX8350 @4.5ghz to a i7-4790k@4.5ghz and gained about 20fps by just changing the cpu I reused all the other parts with the exception of the mobo. You should see a similar increase as the 4790k and 4690k are basicly the same chip but the 4790k has hyper threading which flightsim doesn't care about. Get a good CPU cooler if your going to overclocking because the stock one barely keeps it under 80c at stock settings

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I went from an AMD FX8350 @4.5ghz to a i7-4790k@4.5ghz and gained about 20fps by just changing the cpu I reused all the other parts with the exception of the mobo. You should see a similar increase as the 4790k and 4690k are basicly the same chip but the 4790k has hyper threading which flightsim doesn't care about. Get a good CPU cooler if your going to overclocking because the stock one barely keeps it under 80c at stock settings

Ok. I recently got into computer building about last year in June.and don't know much about custom CPU coolers. Could you link me to a good one for the i5 4690k and also keep it in a reasonable price range.

Thanks!

Ok. I recently got into computer building about last year in June.and don't know much about custom CPU coolers. Could you link me to a good one for the i5 4690k and also keep it in a reasonable price range.

Thanks!

Are you wanting to go air or water cooled also what computer case do you have?

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Depends on your display resolution. If you're running at 1920x1080 you should have no problems at all with the 960. You could probably run it OK at 2560x1440 as long as you don't have your settings too high.

Also depends on whether you're running add-on planes. Running the default planes generates higher GPU usage than running with add-ons.

Another way to test this is to set all the sliders to the left with a default plane and note the GPU usage