Hello all, Santa brought me a new 908ti card. I will be going from a gtx 780 to the 980ti. What would be the proper order to install the new card to make sure every thing is done correct? Thanks

Regards

Lamar Wright

Hello all, Santa brought me a new 908ti card. I will be going from a gtx 780 to the 980ti. What would be the proper order to install the new card to make sure every thing is done correct? Thanks

Uninstall the driver then use a driver cleaner - shut down pc - install new card - turn on pc install latest nvidia driver for that card - make sure you have the driver first for your new card before you do anything - place it on your desktop to have it ready once new card is installed

Rich Sennett

Latest nvidia drivers have the "Perform Clean Install" option.

Never had issue with it and stopped using driver cleaners awhile ago.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

I agree with Paul. Driver Cleaner is an option if one switches from nVidia to AMD or vice versa.

Uninstall the driver then use a driver cleaner - shut down pc - install new card - turn on pc install latest nvidia driver for that card - make sure you have the driver first for your new card before you do anything - place it on your desktop to have it ready once new card is installed

Hey, thanks a lot Rich, looking forward to the new card.

Latest nvidia drivers have the "Perform Clean Install" option.

Never had issue with it and stopped using driver cleaners awhile ago.

Thanks Paul that is good to know, did not know that.

I agree with Paul. Driver Cleaner is an option if one switches from nVidia to AMD or vice versa.

Thanks Jay

Regards

Lamar Wright

Hey, thanks a lot Rich, looking forward to the new card.

Thanks Paul that is good to know, did not know that.

Thanks Jay

Your welcome good luck with new card - but to be safe do it the way I stated

Rich Sennett

Your welcome good luck with new card - but to be safe do it the way I stated

Will do Rich and Happy New Year!

Regards

Lamar Wright

Why uninstall the driver? If it'll run his 780, it should run his 980ti shouldn't it?

I'm expecting to swap a 680 for a 980 or 980ti soon and it was my intention to simply swap the cards and not touch the driver. Have I got this wrong?

• Upvote 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Why uninstall the driver? If it'll run his 780, it should run his 980ti shouldn't it?

I'm expecting to swap a 680 for a 980 or 980ti soon and it was my intention to simply swap the cards and not touch the driver. Have I got this wrong?

It is the same driver vserion actually. 361.43.

However, I  tend to uninstall the old driver, install the new graphics card, then install a fresh copy of the driver. Just for piece of mind.

And yes, driver cleaners aren't required at all these days, the Nvidia installer is smart enough to do the job properly.

Products supported are...

GeForce 900 Series:

GeForce GTX TITAN X, GeForce GTX 980 Ti, GeForce GTX 980, GeForce GTX 970, GeForce GTX 960, GeForce GTX 950

GeForce 700 Series:

GeForce GTX TITAN Z, GeForce GTX TITAN Black, GeForce GTX TITAN, GeForce GTX 780 Ti, GeForce GTX 780, GeForce GTX 770, GeForce GTX 760, GeForce GTX 760 Ti (OEM), GeForce GTX 750 Ti, GeForce GTX 750, GeForce GTX 745, GeForce GT 740, GeForce GT 730, GeForce GT 720, GeForce GT 710, GeForce GT 705

GeForce 600 Series:

GeForce GTX 690, GeForce GTX 680, GeForce GTX 670, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, GeForce GTX 660, GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST, GeForce GTX 650 Ti, GeForce GTX 650, GeForce GTX 645, GeForce GT 645, GeForce GT 640, GeForce GT 630, GeForce GT 620, GeForce GT 610, GeForce 605

GeForce 500 Series:

GeForce GTX 590, GeForce GTX 580, GeForce GTX 570, GeForce GTX 560 Ti, GeForce GTX 560 SE, GeForce GTX 560, GeForce GTX 555, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, GeForce GT 545, GeForce GT 530, GeForce GT 520, GeForce 510

GeForce 400 Series:

GeForce GTX 480, GeForce GTX 470, GeForce GTX 465, GeForce GTX 460 SE v2, GeForce GTX 460 SE, GeForce GTX 460, GeForce GTS 450, GeForce GT 440, GeForce GT 430, GeForce GT 420

I was wondering about that

It is the same driver vserion actually. 361.43.

However, I  tend to uninstall the old driver, install the new graphics card, then install a fresh copy of the driver. Just for piece of mind.

And yes, driver cleaners aren't required at all these days, the Nvidia installer is smart enough to do the job properly.

Products supported are...

I was wondering that. So would it be best to just install the driver that comes with the 980ti or install a driver I downloaded from Nvidia (359.06) and should I manually delete the 780 drivers first before I do anything? Or does the Nvidia software do that for you?

Regards

Lamar Wright

I was wondering about that

I was wondering that. So would it be best to just install the driver that comes with the 980ti or install a driver I downloaded from Nvidia (359.06) and should I manually delete the 780 drivers first before I do anything? Or does the Nvidia software do that for you?

Rich Sennett

Once again...

Driver cleaners are totally unecessery.

You would only use a driver cleaner if you were troubleshooting an issue.

If you think driver cleaners are required to install a driver then you are a few years behind the times.

The Nvidia installer has intelligently installed drivers for quite a few years now.

Just to be on the safe side, uninstall old driver fron add/remove programs. Power off the PC. Install new card. Install new driver. It's about the easiest job you can do on a PC.

Over many years, I have never used a driver cleaner.

Install the latest driver from the Nvidia website.

Once again...

Driver cleaners are totally

Agreed but I sleep better at night knowing I used a cleaner  :wink:

• Upvote 1

Rich Sennett