Sign in to follow this  
sidsapl

PMDG SDK, getting started

Hey Guys,

I've recently created a radio panel module using Arduino boards that can connect to fsx using simconnect. This module also works with the PMDG 737 NGX because as far as I can tell, the radios in the pmdg use native simconnect operations. I was thinking about creating a full MCP for my next project, so I opened up the pmdg 737 SDK and loaded it into a visual studio win 32 console application. I also looked ferociously at the manual as well as the test project that comes with the SDK. As I am fairly new to C and C++, I am very unsure as of what compiler I should use, how the software should be structured, etc. Despite looking through google for hours, I have not come across anything that helps me. I'm hoping that someone could at least point me in the right direction.

Thanks in Advance,

Sid Jahmo

PS: complements to PMDG for creating the best addon aircraft on the market!

If you are new to Visual C++ then that is the best place to start.  Get a copy of the free Visual Studio Express from Microsoft and start learning.  It includes a full integrated development suite that has the compiler, debug and editor that you need.

Dan Downs KCRP

Yes I already have their free version of visual studio. I have already for the most part mastered visual basic, but from what I can tell this needs to be coded in visual c++. My question is, what project type do I need to load for sdk projects?

Full names on all posts in the PMDG forum please.

Project type? I think that's up to you as the developer. Your choices are basically either CLR or Win32 depending on your preferences; however, it's also possible you could do this as a console program depending on your IO needs.  There is a big gap between Visual Basic and Visual C++ that will be a challenge if you are new to the C language.

Dan Downs KCRP

Okay, I'll work on it. The source has many parts that I am slightly getting used to, however I'm not sure what actually compiles when it comes time for debugging. When I debug, a console appears for a split section. I'm sure that's supposed to happen, I just have to read the help section a lot more.

Thanks for the help guys,

Sid Jahmo