Sign in to follow this  
Airline2Sim

Q400 First Officer Training now live!

Does it cover how to use and set up the HUD for the different approaches ? Thanks

Not this one, sadly. The aircraft our pilot flew aren't HUD equipped. In fact, in real life very few Q400s are.

G'day Ben

Please note that this is not in any way a critism of the FO program. I have both the Q400 Cadet and FO sets and have recently embarked on coming up to speed with the Dash - the videos are near perfect as an aide.

While coming to terms with RNAV approaches, the 'island hop' hasn't helped entirely as the cruise and approach altitudes are conducted at the same altitude whereas many of the regional RNAV approaches in 'Oz' have a different IAF height requirement to that of the FAF (YPMQ is a good example - Rwy03 IAF's are 4100' & FAF is 3250'). The YPMQ approach is a continued descent from the IAF through the FAF down to the MDA. The obvious problems here is that the steps provided in the video don't provide for what would be a normal VNAV descent to the IAF or at what point to select Arm App, select the MDA, select APPR and VNAV to fly to LNAV/VNAV PATH. I am continuing to 'experiment' with these approaches in FSiPanel but I invariably end up with an A/P disconnect and an unstable aircraft.

Happy for any suggestions as long as it is a 'step-by-step' as per the video. May I suggest that the Q400 Captain's RNAV app include a similar approach to that of YPMQ (LOWI RNAV (GNSS) E Rwy 26 looks interesting!) as these type of RNAV approaches are fairly standard across many of the regional airports in Australia.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for the message. To be honest, the airline that Josh worked for did not have the capability to do RNAV approaches as they only had one FMC fitted, so the video we made was put together from a bit of research and other sources. We can revisit this for sure. 

Hello, I also bought the FO training program now, mainly because of the RNAV episode. Unfortunately, I am disappointed because the short flight did not bring the information that I had hoped for. The departure of an RNAV approach is rather not the problem, the process is as described in the documents.
What unfortunately does not work for me is an RNAV approach with previous vectoring. The APPR ACT does not respond at all and thus does not respond to a course predefined by ATC. I've looked at a lot of documents for that, but it's not working as it should.

I sincerely hope that there will be a supplement for this essay, which should certainly be normal in everyday life.

With best regards

Frank