Sign in to follow this  

Windows 10 install experience and some tips ...

I recently wiped my main Flight sim PC and installed Windows 10 Enterprise 1511 build - clean install NOT an upgrade with the assumption I do NOT care what is on my existing SSDs/HDs (they will get wiped out).

Thought I'd share some notes:

1.  If you have a more recent UEFI motherboard, make sure you get updated UEFI/BIOS before installing Windows 10.

2.  Disconnect ALL non-essential USB devices (just connect keyboard/mouse).

3.  If your motherboard supports booting from USB device, then use this Microsoft tool http://download.cnet.com/Windows-7-USB-DVD-Download-Tool/3000-18513_4-10972600.html to put the Windows 10 ISO onto a USB stick (8GB should be plenty and cost about $10 these days).  USB stick needs to be formatted to FAT32 NOT NTFS.

4.  Download all the most recent motherboard drivers and GPU drivers (and any other drivers you need) for Win10 and copy them to your USB stick.

5.  Now you need to decided if you want to go UEFI or stay with more compatible CSM (which can include UEFI and legacy support) ... most newer GPUs are UEFI but if you have any older components (like I have a separate additional USB 2.0 controller for my GoFlight gear) then it's safer to keep CSM enabled (setting is in your UEFI/BIOS, usually in the Boot menu area).  If you go the UEFI exclusive route then you may need to use a tool like Rufus http://rufus.akeo.ie/ to install the Win 10 ISO to the USB stick.

6.  Shutdown your PC, plug the USB stick into a working USB port, boot your PC (you may need to go into the UEFI/BIOS to set the boot priority to the USB stick).

7.  After booting PC, Win 10 should start loading from your USB stick and bring you to the low level "Format/Partition/Install drive selection" screen ... If you get a warning that you can't install on your selected drive, then you'll need to delete the old partition and create a new partition.  If you still get an error (specifically error code: 0xF4921910) when you try to install into the new partition, it is most likely because you have multiple drives (SSD or HD) that still have Win7 partitions or some other OS partition on them, you need to delete those partitions and create new partitions on those drives also (assuming you don't care what is on those drives) - not sure why this is the case, but didn't research it more.

8. Once the installation starts it's fairly straight forward and not much interaction is need, after you get your login screen, I recommend you immediately trigger an OS update "Windows Update".

9.  Now install drivers you copied to the USB stick (suggest you copy them local to you "Downloads" folder), I start with (in order) - Chipset, SATA, LAN, USB, Audio, Graphics.

10.  Another oddity when installing the nVidia 361.43 for Win 10 64bit is the screen resolution when changed from 1920 x 1080 to native 3840 x 2160 forced the customize display text, apps, other items to size to 300% - you'll probably what to size that back to 100% (Settings - System - Display - adjust the "Change the size of text, apps, and other items:...")

There are many tips and tricks all over the web, but Maximum PC has a nice 73 power tips article in their Vol 20, No 12 issue, including how to setup "GodMode" (i.e. create a folder called GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C} )

Primary use of my Flight Sim PC is for P3D V3.x and XP10 ... I don't really use it for anything else.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks Rob, I went to win10pro from 7 a few weeks ago.. I used the upgrade route then intended to do a clean install from ISO but unfortunately I borked the Dvd write so had to reinstall 7 again first - doh! I had no probs with the upgrade route and I'm afraid your point 5 above I missed entirely!

I'll look up some of the tips, never knew about God-mode? Cheers K

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Hi Kevin,

Try the USB install, it's much faster. I don't have a DVD drive on my PC, that's so 2000 :)

I haven't noticed any performance difference in Win 10 - maybe +1 fps in VC. The 1151 build solved a lot of issues, so it was time to make the move. I was also seeing a lot of odd Win7 updates ... It almost seemed like MS were trying to break Win7.

Cheers, Rob

Hey rob, less of the judgemental attitude please, I only just upgraded a GPU from the 1800s :P It will be interesting to see if my win10 performance increase (I went from 25-30fps ave to 40-45fps ave in exact same scenario) is sustained into the new GPU upgrade... K

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Hello Simbio.. If you have Saitek controllers such as the yoke pedals etc, are you aware that Saitek have beta drivers out for W10 for every Saitek pro Cessna controller except the throttle quadrant. I have a full Saitek set up on my PC in W10 Pro and all controllers work fine and I use SPAD for my Saitek boxes such as the BIP etc.

The only quirk I seem to have is that sometimes SPAD although detects my BIP on start up but does not light it up in the sim. Easily fixed by unplugging the BIP and closing and restarting SPAD.

Hope this helps

Regards.. Rob

Per other Rob, Saitek have separate drivers and software for each ... Pro Yoke, Pro Rudders, and Trim Wheel ... none for throttle quadrants (does appear they are needed, default OS works).

http://www.saitek.com/uk/down/drivers.php

Version is 7.0.47.1 ... not sure why separate drivers/software for each product with same version, but the file sizes are different on the drivers, but Software components are the same.

Cheers, Rob.

Hello Simbio.. If you have Saitek controllers such as the yoke pedals etc, are you aware that Saitek have beta drivers out for W10 for every Saitek pro Cessna controller except the throttle quadrant. I have a full Saitek set up on my PC in W10 Pro and all controllers work fine and I use SPAD for my Saitek boxes such as the BIP etc.

The only quirk I seem to have is that sometimes SPAD although detects my BIP on start up but does not light it up in the sim. Easily fixed by unplugging the BIP and closing and restarting SPAD.

Hope this helps

Regards.. Rob

Yes that's what I tried as metion by rob I download the correct version but still problem, I stcuk with the yoke that dosen't install the driver. and always fail.

I created a thread, I hope to solve the puzzle or I will heading back to W7.

I recently wiped my main Flight sim PC and installed Windows 10 Enterprise 1511 build - clean install NOT an upgrade with the assumption I do NOT care what is on my existing SSDs/HDs (they will get wiped out).

Thought I'd share some notes:

Thanks for the tips Rob.

I just wonder about all the innocents out there that just hit the Win10 upgrade button on their desktop.

What's the chance of Win10 successfully finding all their required MB drivers automatically.

Pretty low I would imagine? Maybe not?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

What's the chance of Win10 successfully finding all their required MB drivers automatically.

Yeah, Windows based systems are definitely different in terms of end user involvement vs. my Mac (OSX based computers) - a lot more work keeping a Windows based PC healthy.  Build 1151 has more driver support, but it's always a good idea to get current Win10 MB drivers and UEFI/BIOS from the manufacturer, even more critical these days given that most newer (within the last 3 or so years) motherboards are UEFI and Windows 10 fully supports UEFI.

So far my Windows 10 experience has been good, but stuck with one critical issue that I hope I can find a cure for ... my GoFlight driver - GFDevP3D.exe is NOT launching when P3D executes even though it is set to Run as Admin and is in my EXE.XML.  Anyone else have issues with GoFlight drivers and Win10?

Ironically all my Saitek devices are working perfectly (Cessna Pro Rudders, Cessna Pro Yoke, multiple Throttle quadrants) and show up in my Task Menu with their respective tiny icons. 

Cheers, Rob.

So far my Windows 10 experience has been good, but stuck with one critical issue that I hope I can find a cure for ... my GoFlight driver - GFDevP3D.exe is NOT launching when P3D executes even though it is set to Run as Admin and is in my EXE.XML.  Anyone else have issues with GoFlight drivers and Win10?

Have you tried launching through FSUICP (assuming you are using it)?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

GoFlight issue resolved -- apparently I just needed to reboot.

Currently not using FSUIPC, but will install later, it's not critical for my needs.

Cheers, Rob.

FSUIPC - Spad v0.5.1

Problem solved all of my saitek hardware works perfect and has been since day one of windows 10 install 

DO NOT install saitek drivers

But you have to run this small file after every windows MAJOR updates from what I have seen so far - unzip it run the exe as admin or it will not work then restart computer - done  - cant count the times I have mentioned this but no one is listening 

USB Enhanced Power Manager Disabler

http://uraster.com/en-us/products/usbenhancedpowermanagerdisabler.aspx

Rich Sennett

No problems with Saitek drivers so far.

Cheers, Rob.

No problems with Saitek drivers so far.

Cheers, Rob.

Not directed towards you Rob - one thing to consider on using spad / fsuipc method I did notice you have to play with the cable placement - had to try different positions on usb inputs on back of computer and hub to get all components working happy together

Leave spad in sys tray  to start up with windows - fyi using paid version of fsuipc not sure if that matters

Rich Sennett